Do You Think Coupon Stockpiling = Hoarding?

Discussion in Coupons started by LindaKay • Mar 5, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do think there is an element f hoarding or hoarding behavior there but as you've mentioned, it probably isn't all that bad since these are at least useful products that have a good shelf life which can also be given to friends and family instead of just being random junk. I don't think it's too unhealthy, personally, as they are usually very organized.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Things go on sale in cycles. You need to stockpile enough of a product to last until the next sale.
    Otherwise you will have to pay full price ,or more if you buy it at a convenience store.
    Stockpiling to last until the next time an item goes on sale is not hoarding, it's logic.

3. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I recently started clipping and storing coupons once a month as I get them in the mail. When a new book comes in I go through the old ones in my coupon pouch to trash the expired or ones I know I'm not going to use before I add anything new.

One thing I will not let coupons do is dictate my shopping list or encourage me to buy more than I need. I find most manufacturers coupons to be trickery. Yes save a $1.00 on any (two) when all you need is one. Well spending an extra $4.00 to save a dollar isn't exactly saving you money when you do the math. The manufacturers are winning out on those deals unless you were already planning to buy too. Then it's like ok, why NOT save a $1.00? I use them as needed for items I'm soon going to replenish, when I remember. But if there is an item on the shelf that'll be cheaper at sale price than the item I have a coupon for after coupon? I'm likely to choose the sale item.

Coupons aren't necessary to be a smart shopper or save the most money.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, having seen that series Extrem Couponing where I see basements with shelves full of stuff, my first reaction why do these individuals need all this stuff for. Now there was one man featured on the show that I did understand why he was collecting so much. He would give much of the stuff he got with his Extreme Couponing to charities, I think there was also a woman who did the same thing featured as well. But the others I was like what are you collecting it all for your probably have enough to last you a year if not longer. But I think for some of them its not as much hoarding but it is a form of addiction. They seem to enjoy going to the store to beat the system with couponing. All the while building more of a stockpile, I just shake my head at some of the people featured who had basements full of stuff yet were buy even more stuff to add to their stock pile.