Do you think having decent table means you can be more productive?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Goat of Departure • Oct 6, 2014.

1. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    So I had this change of scenery last week, I had been hired by another company and so far I'm liking it. Compared to my last office, this new one is far more superior in every way and over all I love the work environment. However, the greatest improvement I think was my office table and chair. I love it, it's spacious, I think I can fit three chessboards right on top and it's very sturdy compared to my last table that's very compact and just a mess.

The funny thing was, I think my productivity got a bit higher than usual. Back in my previous job, every day I come in the office at 9 am all I can think if just to get out, which results to me leaving the office 5 or 15 minutes earlier but now I came in earlier than usual and I go home later and I get things done twice as fast. Do you think the new work environment (table) could really have positive effects on your productivity?

2. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I think it has some correlation. If you're working on a messy environment I think it affects how you think and how you work. You can't really be productive in a place that's not really getting your spirit up to work. As for the tables well, you can consider it as a 'tool' for your job. If you don't have the right tools you can't really do your job right so I suppose if you have a good place to work on you can be more productive.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I certainly do. If you have a messy table, it makes it hard to physically be comfortable because say you needed to write something down. You couldn't do that with a whole bunch of junk on the table. It also does mess with your mind. When everything is nice and organized, you have peace of mind because it's one less thing to worry about.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I absolutely agree with you. A big, practical work table works wonders for me as well. I have had one custom made for my studio. I simply love it, and all its different functions, such as the ability to tilt it into various different angles to catch the best possible light, to some special wooden features for my tools. Also, I like the way that I can adjust the height of my work table and roll it around the studio wherever I want or need it.
    So, there is a lot to be said for the right kind of table and, naturally, the chair as well. :)

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that way. But what I do know, the bigger the table, the more you can get things done. When i was struggling to completer my thesis paper, I needed such a large table at my disposal. Since I had such a small desk in my room, I decided to go to our university library and did the composition there. I honestly got a lot of things done within 2 weeks.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your work environment has everything to do with your own productivity. When you work in a messy or boring workspace, then your productivity and mood is likely to suffer. The opposite is true when you like your workspace and feel good about working there. The overall effect is different for each person, so that's important to keep in mind.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Sure. I think having a healthy work environment, away from your everyday "relax" spots can have a huge impact on your productivity. For instance, whenever I'm working at home or doing homework for school, I always be sure I'm not in my room, where I watch TV and movies most of the time. I just end up getting distracted and spend a lot more time thinking about what I need to get done than actually working to get the project done.

You feeling a lot more comfortable at your new table/chair probably has a lot to do with your new increase in productivity as well.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    A good, descent and appropriate table means more productivity. This kind of table of course would be very inviting for the user, and somehow could be inspiring, so somehow it would increase productivity. But keep this in mind that no matter how good things you have for your work, without your own effort and determination, nothing really could get done. By this, even without a descent table, if you have a strong will and drive, you still could be productive. You simply have to be resourceful

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't believe that a larger table means you'll be more productive. I've used huge tables before and it didn't make me any more productive than I would have been if I had a positive attitude. I have a firm belief that with the right attitude you'll be more productive regardless of whether your work table is large or small. Personally I prefer smaller tables/desks. They're easier to tidy up.