Do you think laptops is more cost efficent then a desktop computer?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by dieselfit • Oct 27, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    This is agreeable and it is nice to have something portable rather than just one stationary place. I think something will replace laptops and we may not have a need/want for them. For example if tablets coudl perform as well or even better than laptops, they would probably be a much preferred purchase. I think computers are really just efficient in the sense that they are cheaper and can perform better for the same price as a laptop that can do a lot less. I love my laptop but sometimes I wish I had a computer so I could play those high-end games!

2. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    Laptops are more cost effective than the desktop. now a days there are not a big difference between the price of laptop and desktop. Laptops are more convenient to use than the desktop. We can carry it anywhere which is not possible in the case of desktop. so as per me laptops are more cost effective.

3. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Yes the laptop is much more move-able as in portable. Just like how mobiles have taken over the home phones (or car phones), laptops are a good way to go. Maybe it's not though for those who are looking for massive performance like playing up to date games that need strength and power where a gaming laptop would just be too expensive for that. It's not worth the investment to get a laptop that will last a year or two until the user needs a new one to stay up to date. Otherwise, laptops are perfect for work or part-time gamers!

4. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I believe that Laptops have their share of shortcomings but when compared to the desktop computers, they score higher. Not only are these very efficient (portable and can use battery thus cushioning he users against the minor inconvinciecs caused by power faults.) Even if they are costly at times, they are cost effective in the long run.. Just my opinion...

5. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that in this day and age having a laptop is pretty much a necessity. The only reason I would consider getting a desktop computer would be for done serious video editing or some sort of computer based job that needs stained peripherals to go along with it and so I need to be stationed. But laptops are definitely the way to go.

6. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I can't imagine the inconvenience of a power outage as it happens in EVERY country. The weather is totally unpredictable so it's a good idea to have a plan B. It may cost someone some time and work if there's no other plan. This is another good reason why laptops score higher than PC's. I don't even remember the last time I had a computer, I think I've been using laptops for the past 7 years.

7. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    It is useful to have a laptop for this reason. There is way too many jobs that benefit further with a laptop. Clearly we need to check emails and keep up with the communication and news of our world/jobs. A desktop computer would not come in handy for this reason as it's not portable. Perhaps it would only come in handy if the person was working from home. Otherwise, laptops have the edge from this view!

8. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    For me it depends on the task I want to do. If I need a lot of calculating power, I use my desktop. But for everyday use, I use a laptop. A laptop is also more energy efficient and is portable which are 2 key features for me.

The price of a desktop is generally lower for the same specifications so if you have a space to put it and you don't mind sitting behind a desk, I would advise on getting a desktop.

9. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the brand. Plenty of Apple laptops cost more than desktops. I have the latter though at a discount from a thrift shop. (Yep!) I paid less than $300 for a fully loaded PC with several USB ports/ethernet, etc.

10. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on your demands I suppose, I always have to demonstrate the work on my laptops at meetings, and I cant use any other computer because of the unique software and settings I require on mine. However, if I was just working from home or at an office and had no need to travel anywhere I would use a desktop.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that for an individual a laptop is much more cost efficient because a desktop is not practical. For a company desktops are more economical because they last longer and they can just sit in the employees desks.

12. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I think so, yes. What people tend to forget is that a desktop computer also has to power all the peripherals. You also need to power a screen which can consume a lot of energy.

13. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Depends on the peripherals I suppose, if the screen the desktop is trying to power requires no more energy than a laptop screen, then it's not using any more or less energy. However I think most people would agree that the screen used for desktop is often more lavish than that of laptops. I myself have three screens hooked up to my desktop, one of which is a Sony Bravia, so...

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    For the most part, in depends on how you're gonna use these items. If you're travelling a lot and you need a portable computing device to do your work on the go, then laptop's are probably more convenient for you. If you're talking about price, laptops are actually more expensive than desktops. A high-end desktop PC is 1/2 the price of a laptop which has the same specifications. Desktops are much more cost efficient in the long run due to the fact that you can upgrade its parts piece by piece compared to laptops which is very hard to upgrade since its compact. The hardware on a high end laptop can be 'up to date' for at least 2-4 years, and after that, you have either buy a new one. On the other hand, a high end PC will last you 3-5 years for 1/2 the price of the laptop, and after that lifespan, you can still prolong its life by simple upgrading the parts that's need to be updated, unlike a laptop on which you have to replace basically the whole thing. Let's say you spend $1000 for a laptop, after 4 years, you'll have to spend yet another $1000 for a new up to date one, as for a PC of the same price, it might just cost you $200 - $300 to upgrade. But then again, it depends on the work your doing.

15. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen new laptops and desktops for as little as $350, and both are perfectly capable for browsing the web and productivity apps, as well as playing some basic games. The cheaper laptops may weight a bit more than their more expensive counterparts, and have a plastic case instead of a metal case, but otherwise they run fine for everyday use. With a desktop system, if you've already got a monitor, keyboard and mouse that you are happy with, you can save on those and put that money towards a nicer tower to get more bang for your buck. With a laptop, you have to buy everything together, so part of your costs are the screen and keyboard itself. With a tower, you're not dealing with those costs, so you can likely find one with similar specs to the laptop for a cheaper price or go with a tower that is the same price as the laptop but will likely have much better specs.

16. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think that laptops are cost efficient than desktops. You can get a very good desktop at a very cheap price as compared to laptop. For a laptop you need over $400 to get a good laptop and probably it will be refurbished. In terms of cost laptops are more expensive.

17. mikerossuk

mikerossukNew Member

Threads:
    I think laptops are much more robust but will never be cost efficient than a desktop. It's hard to distinguish between upfront cost and overall cost, upgrading a pc is always going to be better and cheaper than upgrading a laptop. With the popularity of tablets, laptop prices are going to continue to fall. I've always thought that they were overpriced to begin with but for all these points I do believe there's a place for being able to take a laptop with you to places PC's cant go and it's hard to put a figure on that ability.

18. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    Laptops are definitely the way to go. I think that the price difference is minute. I would however say that desktop pcs are good if you are into customization. You will find it far much easier to customize your desktop computer than a laptop and you can easily get a high end spec desktop at the same price you will buy an average pc.