Do You Think Making Your Own Clothes Would Be Cheaper?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jan 30, 2016.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At school we were all taught to make our own clothes and were examined on them too. Material these days is more expensive, so it's not always cheaper, however, to get clothes to fit perfectly and also the right length it can worth it. As a child my mother made clothes because I grew so fast, it was cheaper than buying new clothes. If you are skilled it can save money, but buying second hand clothes can work out cheaper if you then take the time to alter them.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on what is available in your country for some things. Growing up my mom sewed my clothes and this saved her a lot of money. Even when I got married, some of her friends made me homemade things and it really helped since the tag of 'marriage' immediately sky rockets prices. But fabrics in that area have become expensive and so its getting cheaper to buy 2nd hand like mentioned above. Another area we lived only made their own clothes and it was inexpensive and the outfits were gorgeous. I shouldn't say 'only' but it was the way the majority of people obtained their clothes. The area we are currently in has a great second hand market but since many of these clothes are laying in piles out in the sun and rain all day, they are not of the same quality as they once were when they probably sat at a place like Goodwill. So what many of the local sewers have done, is what has already been posted. They remake outfits out of the reusable part of the fabric. There are some really cool things people have come up with. I had my friend make me a skirt out of all old mens ties! So it is a silk skirt that probably cost me about $3.00. It got me lost of compliments. I wish I knew how to do this for myself. But by having something sewn, I helped a friend have some work, and I got an inexpensive and unique item of clothing. So in this aspect of consumer shopping, I think it is the way to go.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends. For someone who has a sewing machine and an assortment of other tools, thread in a variety of colors, and already has a decent stockpile of fabric (not to mention some skill), it can be affordable or even cheap to make clothing. For someone starting out, it may not be that cheap at first, especially since it can be hit or miss how things turn out when you're learning.

I think repurposing clothes and other fabric items (sheets, tablecloths, etc.) is a great option, especially since fabric has been becoming more expensive. Now that more people sew, the prices continue to rise. Unless you find a great fabric sale, which is of course always a happy thing.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would economize money, if we disregard someone that will still learn to make their own clothing – which not only takes a while, but quite some waste of fabrics until you learn to make them. Until then, one should expect to spend a lot with fabrics they will ruin doing things wrong.

But even knowing how to sew and stuff, it would take quite some time to make all of your clothing. For someone who works full-time It wouldn’t be worth it, I don’t think. Nowadays it’s so easy to buy cheap clothes, maybe it’s not the best idea to waste all this time making them yourself.

5. Kenya Swan

Kenya SwanMember

Threads:
    I think it is definitely cheaper to make your own clothes than it is to buy them. Sewing allows you to make anything you can imagine. I think sewing is also a good skill to have because you can mend your own clothing. I think seamstress charge too much money to repair clothing.

6. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I went on a sewing class a few years ago because I wanted to learn how to sew my own clothes. I wasn't really thinking of it as a saving at the time, I was just eager to learn a new skill. When it comes to saving, I don't think sewing your own clothes is necessarily a saving, since you still have to buy the material and the thread, zips, buttons or whatever else is needed for the outfit. I can usually get some good bargains on clothes when there are sales around. Furthermore, it is so much easier to just go into a store, find something that fits you well and buy it, rather than to spend time looking for material and other stuff to go along with it to make an outfit, and then have to come home to cut it out and sew it together.

Buying material and then having to get a dressmaker to make an outfit for you is even more costly, in my opinion.

7. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. I'm the kind of person who likes being up to date with the latest trends and therefore, making my own clothes would make it so difficult for me to dress the way I like.

8. Brianna90

Brianna90New Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the item of clothing you want to make. I think the more experience you are can make a difference as well. I don't necessarily have to use patterns all the time which costs more money. I think when it comes to formal wear you save more money because work attire, prom dresses, wedding dresses, etc costs a lot more than buying casual wear. I would also suggest that you use the same pattern for multiple things, this could save money for you as well.

9. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    Good point! Being able to make your own wedding dress or prom dress can be a huge savings, especially for something you'll probably only wear once! Plus those kinds of dresses always have to be altered anyway if you buy them from the store, and it allows you to personalize it for your special day. My mom was good at sewing and was able to alter the straps on my store-bought wedding dress (she added some to a strapless gown), which was so nice to be able to have done cheaply. She didn't really have time to do the whole dress, but just being able to do that much was a big help!

10. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    It would probably be cheaper to buy the material and sewing it yourself as opposed to buying the readymade type. By doing this, you would have eliminated the construction, shipping, and handling, and markup costs, therefore, I believe that all these costs that would be eliminated would be enough to make the homemade cost less that the readymade cost.

11. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree WongwanleeActive Member

Threads:
    Of course, if you know how to sew, making your own clothes would be cheaper. However, the cost of the material can offset the savings. There's one way to get around this problem. Go and buy used bedsheets. They are rather cheap and can be cut to make your own clothes. Another way is to buy extra large secondhand clothes. These can also be cannibalized to use as material to make your own clothes.

12. MomOfThree1980

MomOfThree1980New Member

Threads:
    It depends on the cost of the materials and how long it will take you. Your time is actually worth money (or something to someone else ie taking care of kids or your hourly pay when broken down). Is it worth that as well is something to consider. For me, no, I can't sew to save my life. I can't even hem my clothes (super short person here). The time it would take me would far outweight the cost of buying the item already made.

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    It does become a lot cheaper if you make your own clothes but it is extremely time-consuming and if you don't have the time, it isn't worth it at all. Even when using a sewing machine, it's a big time consumer. If you enjoy sewing and have the time, I do recommend making your own clothes. You will definitely save some cash and have clothes that fit your style.

14. stream26

stream26New Member

Threads:
    that depends. how much is the fabric. only you can tell that. figure out how much fabric you need for a shirt, pants then see what they cost to buy. you can ignore time invested unless you taking work time to use to make them. if you get fabric cheap enough of course it will be cheaper. don't forget to account for quality and style as well.

also keep an eye on craigslist for materials. while it does not appear often (at least in my area) I have seen fabrics (rolls) pop up now and then.

there is also the issue of national pride and principals. if you decide your not buying chinese etc.. the yeah you can probably save some money over buying "locally made" name brand clothing.

then again you can never compete with a thrift store purchase :)

another option is how big are you? keep an eye out for massively oversized clothing. if you get say a 5x or 6x shirt for $5 that is enough material to make rwo say size medium or size large shirts :)

also look at dresses! lots and lots of fabric in those depending on size and style.

15. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sure, if you have the skill. Making clothes is among the numerous things which would be way cheaper if you could do it yourself. Of course, where I live in Appalachia, making clothes at one time was a common thing. Nonetheless, even in those days, tailors were massively in-demand.

16. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    Once in a while yes, once in a while no. In the event that you are simply hoping to dress yourself, purchase. On the off chance that you need a truly all around fitted, quality thing of dress, it is now and then much less expensive to make it. Formals, for example. In the event that you are innovative with materials, different things are less expensive. As far as I can tell, purchasing attire is route less expensive than making it yourself. Examples, ideas and texture get costly in a rush.

17. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I think this is the same. Both can be equal.