Do you think milk is harmful for health?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by akiii123 • Nov 3, 2014.

1. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    For years we have been taught that milk is the main source of protein. However now there are controversies on this topic. Milk is considered not too beneficial these days. I am not sure what exactly is the matter with it. What do you think about this issue?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's nothing new. It's been talked about for ages and the studies were already there, so I'm not sure what came out to get people to finally hear it. It's all over the place suddenly. Like with everything, you will find studies for and against. There are benefits and drawbacks, but for the most part, I think it's unhealthy. It's not a good source of calcium and can lend to a number of issues with people who eat an unhealthy diet... and those who do. It does not prevent bone and teeth issues in my opinion (and some of those studies), but can actually help in creating these problems. It can also lead to clogged arteries.. and who wants to drink the stuff they pump into the poor cows?? To each their own though. It's still better than most of the average person's diet, but that doesn't mean it won't contribute to poor health.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think milk is harmful, I think sugar is the problem, and unbalanced foods. I personally drink whole milk, because it is a whole food. If I can not get whole milk or whole fat dairy products, I add a healthy fat to the meal to balance it out. Whole milk has the right amount of fat to balance the lactose, which is a sugar, that is in it. If you remove the fat, you have too much sugar and it will negatively affect your blood sugar.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Though milk is one source of protein, I'm not sure it is the best source of protein in a diet. I think more than anything, it is just a quick and easy way to get calories and protein.

At face value, I don't subscribe to the idea that milk is unhealthy. It is generally considered a "good fat" and I'm not really into all the hype about hormones and organic and what not. But, I'm leaning more and more toward the idea that most humans are probably allergic to it. My husband and two of my four children are lactose intolerant, evidenced by the elimination of cramps, diarrhea and stomach aches the minute they stopped consuming milk, ice cream, and yogurt. My 3rd child is not lactose intolerant, but just allergic to cow's milk. He had eczema while breastfeeding up until I completely cut dairy from my diet. Then, twice, as a one year old, he had a hives reaction to cheese. We've never even given him cow's milk. We will see what happens with baby #4, who is only 12 weeks old.

Dairy is one of those things I think we eat because it is good, and we learn to live with the side effects it causes. I mean, most American's just have an average amount of gas every day, and think that is totally normal. I think most Americans would also say that they are lucky to have a bowel movement every day. The truth is, if we were completely healthy and our digestive systems were working properly, we wouldn't have gas at all and we would have a bowel movement after every meal (like babies and small children tend to do).

From what I've observed of those who are dairy free, their digestion is just better.

There's something to be said for that.

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many people behind the studies for and against milk that I no longer care. I am able to tolerate drinking milk, so I do, gleefully. I even went back to whole milk from the 2% that I had stepped down to. I preferred the trade off of more protein per serving versus the calorie count.

6. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I have heard that too. It's the same as the debate over eggs, then corn, then sugar.... the list goes on and on. I think that if you enjoy it and it is not hurting you, then enjoy it and don't worry about it. Just use it in moderation, don't over indulge. People have been drinking milk for centuries, why stop now.

7. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the big concern over milk is that it is pumped with hormones and doesn't really provide that much of nutrient value. There are plenty of alternatives to milk that offer more of a nutritional value without any potential or proven effects. Now, with something like corn you are stepping into a discussion about GMO's. When you start to talk about GMO's then you also have to talk about the massive amounts of cancer causing pesticides they spray on them. If you aren't prepared to talk about that or learn about what is going on. Then this world will only go downhill in the quality of our food and way of life.

8. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Excess of anything is bad for your health. You'd want to avoid drinking more than 3 glasses of milk a day. It's not safe to drink more than 3 big glasses of milk.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ages ago when cows grazed in verdant pastures and all their lives never had chemicals, hormones and other disgusting stuff injected into them, I believe that milk was not harmful to anyone's health there. Fast-forward a number of centuries later and things are a lot different.
    So, yeah, in this age, milk definitely can be bad for you.

#9Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  10. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Drinking plain milk, that has not been tempered with, should present no health problems if you're not lactose intolerant. Just think about it, cows secrete milk to feed their calfs. If mammals have evolved to be able to secrete something essential for nurturing their offspring to be healthy, how can drinking it be bad? If it were detrimental surely such a mechanism would be wiped out by natural selection.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why? What's wrong with drinking milk? What I do know is that excessive intake of any food or drink, regardless of what it is (vegetables notwithstanding), can have negative health ramifications. The problem with milk is that it encourages the formation of mucus. The more you drink it, the more your mucous membranes secret it and then you'll have trouble getting rid of all the phlegm.

12. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many things are wrong with drinking milk. One, our stomach has a hard time digesting it because it's a really complex protein. Two, did you know that we are the only adult "animal" that drinks milk in an adult age? I don't drink it, my body doesn't tolerate it.

13. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I still do especially for children. Sadly, I cannot drink milk all the time because my stomach doesn't agree with it. So, I just try to drink soya milk. Even if I don't have a health issue with milk, I still won't drink it because I really don't like how it tastes.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do think that milk is harmful to the human body. Many manufacturers do not remove the hormones from the animals. When we ingest these animal hormones, guess what? it does bad stuff to our bodies. Milk has also been linked to causing cancer, though I haven't looked into that claim as deeply as I could have yet. Also, a lot of people see milk as a great source of calcium when really it isn't.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Milk unless organic does contain so many added ingredients so it is no longer the natural drink people used to drink centuries ago, so it can be harmful. It's harmful to me as I have a lactose intolerance, so it's not only the milk but it also affects what it is used in; cakes, baking, cooking and other drinks.

More people are finding they have allergies, it may not be the milk itself but what has been added to it.

16. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    Milk is good in the past but not today. Cows are not raised in a way that it is used to be. Milk contains hormone and other chemicals which may not be healthy to us. Reports are heard that some people are allergenic to milk. I cannot give it up altogether but am managed to reduce my consumption of milk.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not lactose intolerant as far as I am aware, but milk does fuck my insides up from time to time. I had part of my bowels removed due to two operations that I had when I was a child, and doctors told me that I would either suffer from chronic constipation or chronic explosive diarrhea. When I drink milk, I suffer from the latter. Other than that, I suffer from a lot of constipation. Milk is not my friend.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why is that? I mean, why is it a given you would suffer from either or? (and yes, milk is famous for messing with the digestive system). Have you tried messing with your diet to eliminate constipation? (I know, I'm a broken record.. just genuinely concerned. Constipation leads to so many horrible issues down the road). So they just told you you'd suffer and sent you on your merry way to deal with it?