Do you think nail polish can harm your nails?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by akiii123 • Oct 5, 2014.

1. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Nail polish looks great on all kinds of nails. I like all kinds of colors including bright green and red. But the real question is whether the nail polish is harmful for our health, especially our nails. Nail polish is made out of a list of chemicals that are not very hearing about.
    So what is your opinion on this matter?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people are allergic to the ingredients in nail polish so for them obviously it's not good. It can help protect nails, but nails are dead cells so can't affect the skin. Nail polish can stain the nails and the smell can be overwhelming to some people too. In that respect it can be harmful if you inhale too much or exposed to the smells.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the nail polish. There are nail polish that would really harm your nails, commonly those cheap ones, but not all. There are cheap ones that you could get for a really quality nail polish that are at the same time safe to use. Those cheap nail polishes are commonly harmful because of the chemicals used to formulate them. Those chemicals might leave a permanent damage on your nails.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it can really harm our nails, but it seems like it's more harmful to our health. Read these for more info:

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that it depends on the nail polish that you are going to use. There are really cheap ones here that have toxic chemicals like lead. I stay away from those. Also, I only put nail polish on my toe nails. I don't want polish on my fingers because I don't want to accidentally ingest it.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the nail polish and how long you let it stay on your nails. I don't often apply nail polish but during those times I wear it, my nails tend to have white rings or stains after I remove nail polish from the surface especially when they're left there for months on end. The nails look dried up, as if the moisture was removed along with the polish.

7. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the brand of nail polish. Brands like OPI and Zoya...I am pretty sure Essie can be included too...are now 3 or 5 free when it comes to not including the really bad chemicals in their polishes. I am sure there is a risk with anything because somehow our nails are absorbing the polish. I think from a strictly cosmetic point of view nail polish remover is worse for our nails than polish because it can be so drying.

8. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I go for 3 free or 5 free polishes only. I don't know if they can do serious harm to nails, but I do know that the darker polishes will stain your nails. I even have one base coat by Orly that I know for sure turns my nails yellow. It's a pretty good base coat but I don't use it very often for this reason. Personally, I think my nails do better because I polish them and use treatments. I think they have fortified my nails and prevented them from splitting and peeling.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my case specifically, nail polish is so harmful. I am highly allergic to most nail polishes, unless it'st the water-based ones. I have to be very careful with stuff like that, because the harsh chemicals always give me an allergy. My skin is very sensitive, so I need to be careful. And the thing is, I was not allergic up until I was 17 years old. So anyone can just get allergic from one time to the other.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never been able to wear nail polish as I get sick from the smell and the feeling on my nails. There are health food stores, and no doubt places online, where you can buy nail polish that doesn't contain toxic chemicals, but quite frankly, I can't be bothered with it. I don't need nail polish that badly.
    I often think about all the bits and pieces of nail polish that end up in the food, and that get swallowed accidentally. Also, I have noticed that people who paint their nails all the time, tend to develop a yellow tinge in their nails.

11. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    As a cosmetologist, I can say it's all according to what polish you are using. The only way polish could really be harmful to you is if you are allergic to certain ingredients in the polish, then you can expect to have side effects from applying the polish. Other than this, there's really no harm in simply applying polish to your nails. Your nails are made of dead protein and can't exactly be hurt, themselves.

I will say that you can end up with yellow nails if you don't apply a base coat or give your nails a breather every now and then. Other than that, it's safe to say there's no harm. :)

12. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I certainly hope not! :) I have polished both my fingernails and my toenails for years and years! I don't remember hearing anything that said there was a harm in doing so. I really love when my nails are painted. It really makes me feel pretty and complete!

Hope this helps!!

Danyel :)

13. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I've never thought nail polish was harmful, other than the aforementioned allergies. What I've always cautioned people about was that in order for nail hardener and polish to "strengthen" your nails, it must strip them of their natural strength, so when you stop using them, you will notice a weakness in your own nails for a while until they restore themselves.

14. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think it is the nail polish that damages the nails as much as it is the remover. When I have let nail polish just wear off entirely without removing it, I have not had any problems with my nails being weakened. I may have more porous nails than most people, but when I use remover just once a week, within a month my nails start to split and the top layer peals off. The last time this happened it took 4 months to grow out all new, strong nail to replace what had been damaged. If you use nail polish only on occasion, you are probably going to be fine. I use it outside so I don't get the fumes.