Do you think Rollbacks from Walmart actually save us money?

Discussion in Coupons started by H.C. Heartland • Sep 8, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Walmart's is famous for promoting Rollbacks where items are discounted to encourage consumer spending. Some say that they actually increase their prices so that it seems like the rollbacks are a discount and this is the way they make their money. I haven't found any research that proves that to be true. What do you think? When Walmart has Rollbacks are we actually saving money?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I buy something that is on offer at a certain store, I will always make sure that I cannot it cheaper anywhere else. I find that they often do great deals on their cereal, and I will stock up on that because I know that it's something that I can't get cheaper elsewhere, and also I know that it will definitely get eaten before it goes stale, because we do eat a lot of cereal in this house. You should be careful of a major supermarket trick, which is to raise the price of something for a certain amount of time so that when it goes back down to normal price it can be advertised as a rollback. Be aware that this might happen, and double check that you are really going to be getting the deal that you think you are when you decide to buy the products.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a comforter set on my Walmart wish list for $39. Then they put it on Rollback for $20 so I got it for $20.
    If I had not bought it on Rollback it would have cost me $19 more, so I do feel like I saved money. That comforter was on my wish list for 8 months for $39, so it took a long time for the price to drop.
    I don't know if Walmart raises prices for Rollbacks, but I didn't see them do it for that item, because I watched it for months at the same price and only bought it when the price dropped.

4. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I think the rollback only saves you money on certain things. There are many items available at walmart during rollback that you can find cheaper on their website. I normally just shop online to save money instead of going to the store.

5. Andrey212121

Andrey212121Banned

Threads:
    I think wallmart is real deal. I think they have real prices. I ve bought a lot of stuff before and i can guarantee that was cheapest price of all stores. So for 100 percent they are not increasing prices)))

6. EvanCross19

EvanCross19Member

Threads:
    As far as I know, there is no evidence that Walmart jacks up prices for rollbacks. I believe you are saving on the rollback sales each time, no matter what the item. If the item is available elsewhere for cheaper, then I would buy it there. With that said, I don't think spending a ton of time searching for the cheapest price is always a good thing either. Time is money, and time spent browsing websites is time that I could be doing better things. That's why I'm a member of this forum and why I like sites that automatically compare prices from a bunch of stores for you.

7. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I laugh whenever I see a roll back sign. They are usually saving of only a few cents and in the long run aren't a big deal. I know that's their "motto" but if you shop around you will find that many other stores are comparable or actually less expensive, especially if you are using coupons. I would think a better idea would be to keep the products at their current price and hire a few additional employees so we don't have to wait in super long lines at the check out. :) he, he :)

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I agree. It really depends on the item.

And yes, I think they probably do raise their prices a little bit sometimes before lowering them for rollbacks.

9. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I keep a price book on all the items our family buys regularly, and I agree with the other posters on this -- sometimes the rollbacks are a great deal, but you have to be careful, as sometimes Walmart's idea of a "rollback" is just a penny or two!

The trick with Walmart is to look at circulars from other stores and get them to price match. Then you know for sure you're getting the best deal possible!

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Isn't it more convenient to use the Walmart Savings Catcher? There's an app for your digital device, but I do it 'the old-fashioned way' (putting the receipt-code on the net through my computer when I get home :p)

You do that, and they claim they use your code to compare the prices you paid with prices advertised in your local stores, reportedly paying you the difference if they find any lower prices advertised.

As far as 'the value of rollbacks': it reminds me of the story of The Tulip Rule. The story goes that Wall Street--before stock & bonds--was a place to buy flowers. The Dutch--back in Denmark (or wherever the Dutch are from:confused:)--could pick tulips practically anywhere, and so brought over the tulips and sold them for one cent a piece. Naturally, entrepreneurs projected, "Well if they'll buy `em for one cent, why don't I buy `em and sell `em for two?" And that would be successful, inspiring others to sell `em for 3, 4, 5, 10. 20, 50, one dollar, two dollars, and so-forth.

Eventually people stop wanting tulips enough to pay that much for `em (especially when you can get `em for near-free). And that's how stocks work.

11. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I believe that you really do save money when Walmart does Rollbacks because they can afford to take a hit on some items that they sell. They are like the biggest mass merchandiser in the world and Rollbacks encourage customers to shop in the store. Most times people do not just go into Walmart to purchase the one item on Rollback, but will purchase all that they need for the certain period of time that their shopping trip is for.