Do you think shops should be open normal hours on a Sunday?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by sarz • Apr 3, 2014.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am generally in favor of stores being closed on Sundays. It's a guaranteed day off for all the employees, otherwise some of those employees will end up working for weeks at a time without a day off, and get burned out. It's not just a break for employees, but a break for everyone, from shopping as well, when they should be spending time with family or friends, getting some projects done around the house, etc...

Stay at home and cook a meal, instead of going to Chic-Fil-A or some other restaurant. Save some money, and rent a movie through your cable provider instead of going to a theater and spending an arm and a leg on tickets and concessions. Clean your closet out and chose which clothing items you should instead donate to charity, instead of walking around the mall wasting money on new clothes you don't need.

I like the fact that people can be certain their Sundays will be free, and they don't have to be "on call" with their employers over which days they have off if any. That way they can schedule parties and other get togethers without any uncertainties - especially if everyone else invited has that day off too.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like it when shops are open every day of the week, especially in country regions. Not just does it provide jobs for local people but it also takes off the stress of having to organise the shopping during the week if you are working full time. Besides, personally I don't like that "dead" feeling of Sunday. I think a lot of people prefer to have shops and other facilities available seven days a week.

3. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I think it would depend on how much business is generated on any particular day. If Sunday was a busy day sales wise, I would think it would be in the best interest for the shop owner to stay open. They can always close up shop early a slower day, as long as they let their customers know, I don't think there would be a problem with this. Of course it's up the business owners to stay open or close up on the day of their choosing, but it's the customers that make or break their business.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    You could think that, but you would be wrong. It used to be ILLEGAL to open your business on a Sunday because it is considered a sacred day. :)

5. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely believe that businesses should have normal business hours if not longer business hours on Sundays. Most people work from Monday to Friday which is why the weekend is the only time that they are able to shop. It would be a smart business idea to have normal business hours on Sundays because a lot of people are willing to shop that day. I pesonally hate it when I go to a store only to find out that they are closed because it is Sunday.

6. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah i guess they should be treated this way i mean when its about buying something some major marts needs to be open which i see that they remain open and that is fine enough.This is how it needs to be because finally its about our comfort but an off is necessary for the staff to so the ownership needs to manage this all.

7. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not. Everyone deserves a day off, and at the moment, but a lot of shop owners don't get that. Shops open on Sundays because they've realised that they can make a bit of extra money, because there's always the need for just that one thing on Sundays. But they still deserve some time to close.

8. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I love it when stores close on Sunday! I try to make a special effort to support those businesses when they're open the rest of the week. Of course, I don't think everybody should be forced to close on Sunday, but for the businesses that do close on Sunday, that action speaks volumes about what they think about their values and their employees.

9. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    I think businesses should be able to do as they please. The market will eventually dictate what should happen. In general Sunday nights are quiet for businesses, even the places that are open (walmart and the like) are usually pretty quiet. I would like to see things open earlier on Sunday mornings though..

10. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I always think of Sunday as a bit of a write-off of a day when it comes to shopping. Truthfully, it's rare that I ever shop past 5 or 6 on any day of the week, but on Sunday there's just this psychological influence that makes you feel more confined if you were to go out. Having this idea that less hours are available for you to shop simply makes you not feel as if it's worth the effort to go out at all.

That said, like some have mentioned already, it's up to the business on what they deem is appropriate.

11. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    I really do like it that most stores are open on Sunday these days because I remember a time when that wasn't the case. However, I do think that it is perfectly okay for them to have shortened hours of operation on Sunday because that does give all of the employees more time that they can spend with their family.

12. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Life is 24/7. Believe it or not, while some people are awake and working all day, others have to sleep because they work the overnight shifts. Unless you have worked night shift, you have no idea how limiting "store hours" can be to your life. When I lived at home (Chicago) it was no big deal, so many places were open at all hours and every day of the week. Now that I live in Southern-Bible-Belt, I'm glad I no longer work third shift; stores close early and a lot are closed on Sunday. There are people here who work overnights and pay family and friends to shop for them. If it's something they can buy online, they go that route.

13. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Around here, a lot of our shops are closed completely on Sunday, especially the locally owned businesses. While I would like to shop a little later on Sundays, I think its up to the business to decide if that's what they want to do. I'm sure it is not a decision they take lightly. Will our customers stick around? Can we afford to do this? Would it help our business if we stayed open on Sunday? How many more customers would we actually get?

The fact is that at the end of the day, I can respect any business that sticks to their values.

14. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Most business establishments in our area are open all the time (normal business hours) so I really have no problem with grocery schedules.

As a customer, I prefer it as it is. But as a business owner (if I own one) I prefer to close shop on Sundays so my employees and I can rest and enjoy time with our families. :)

15. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    I could care less either way, but it does seem like it is somewhat of an outdated concept. I think more and more stores are starting to open up earlier and close later on Sundays though. I think it is also a way for businesses to cut out some of their labor costs with the shorter hours. I cannot imagine a complete ban on operating on Sundays! Though I think Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays, but I refuse to shop there so it doesn't effect me anyway.

16. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I think stores should have normal operational hours on Sunday. My reasoning behind it is that Sunday is a good day for business, people are off for the weekend are they are likely to hit the stores for some shopping. And from the perspective of someone who works in retail, I think this is a good idea, it gives more hours to employees and customers can shop more leisurely.

17. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've lived in an area where stores closed early Sundays for religious reasons and then another area where that wasn't the case. If people are closing their shops early for religious reasons, then there's nothing wrong with that. They're not obligated to stay open during the same business hours they do the rest of the week. A lot of people don't like religion controlling things in this country, but if it's influencing store hours, then that's harmless and fully respectable.

In areas where the stores simply close early, it's not a huge different from other days. Plenty of stores in San Diego will close an hour or two earlier than other days of the weeks. Many businesses won't even open on Sunday if it doesn't make much financial sense. Vets and stores that provide services close on Sundays all the time because they wouldn't make enough money to keep the lights on for that day.

As other people have stated, employees need some extra rest too!