Do You Think There Is Too Much CGI in Movies Nowadays?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Apr 14, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I am terribly sick of movies that rely too heavily on CGI because I find it really boring especially when I can really tell that they are just in front of a green screen. When it is done well like in Watchmen and 300 wherein the story is really strong and the CGI is just there to add a better atmosphere and support the storytelling I don't really mind. However, when it comes to movies like Avatar wherein the main attraction is the visual effects with just the usual story behind it thrown in there so they can have an excuse to get our money, I get bored easily and truthfully I'm not really at all amazed at the technology anyway. It seems just as good as any other movie, just a lot more boring.

What are your thoughts on Hollywood's current heavy reliance on CGI?

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I don't like movies that have crappy plots but a bunch of CGI to make up for it either. It's cool to see a few effects here and there as long as they add something to the plot, but movies like that "Life of Pi" one, which is basically just a green screen, are the worst.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah, definitely!
    Years ago, movie producers had to squeeze all their creativity and try to find solutions with the little they had at hand. And that had a very special magic to it, you could feel the amount of work it had been put into it and even when it was obvious how it was done, it would still look good.
    Now they can solve all the problems with post production, which i don't think it's the best solution.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm ok with CGI as long as it's well made and the story is good. There are some movies that have cool CGI but have a crappy story and acting. But if I'd have to choose, I'd pick a crappy movie with good CGI rather than a crappy movie with bad CGI.

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, but that's true for a lot of entertainment now. I don't know - well no. I know why it's becoming more prevelant and I think that it sucks. I mean forget about all those extra effects and think of the story. A good story is going to better engage an audience then pretty visuals. Then again to be honest a lot of people these days just want to proceed without thought in whatever they do. Duckspeak isn't just a 1984 concept.

6. BrianWolfe

BrianWolfeMember

Threads:
    I definitely agree. Movies used to be about acting and performing, now actors have to compete with CGI characters and all manner of special effects that sometimes distract audience attention from the main performers. I totally agree with lindbergh; as long as the CGI and special effects are well made and are relevant to the story line and plot, I have no complaints. It's when there's just too much of it in an already bad movie that makes my skin crawl.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's been a few times I've been dissapointed that it's been used when it's not necessary and in fact, if it were made years ago, it would have been done much better. Way too heavy a reliance these days.. not into it at all. It has it's purposes, but it's mostly distracting for me..

8. BrianWolfe

BrianWolfeMember

Threads:
    Absolutely, unnecessary CGI just distracts us from the story line and the acting. Very soon actors are going to become obsolete with so much CGI all over the place.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you look at the original Star Wars movies with Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, the Death Star and the Millennium Falcon were models made with hundreds of little hand cut pieces. To me, that takes a lot more talent than rendering a ship on a computer.
    When you look at Blade Runner, it's amazing what they were able to create back them without today's technology.

I think at some point, there will be a nostalgia for it and a wave of young directors will try to make movies with props built by hand , the way some directors still shoot in black and white.

10. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, special effects have become so well integrated that a chunk of what you see is only half-real. A whole lot of open street scenes are done in the studio these days, and you really can't tell. The usage of CGI is becoming just as useful for mundane things as it is for creating spectacular effects.

11. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of great movies that do not use much CG effects especially the old movies. But times are changing and there are also a lot of great films that incorporate a lot of CGI. Here's my list:
    -Thor
    -The Avengers
    -Transformers
    -Iron Man 1
    -Spiderman 1 and 2

And many many more. Let's face it people, CGI is here to stay.

12. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I do think there are a lot of movies that use CGI because that's what most people would like to watch. The majority of movies nowadays is based on CGI, which is the reason that some of the movies are exceed expectation. I think some of the movies nowadays don't have good storylines, which is kind of sad because they are more about special effects rather than the plot.

13. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There definitely is. I can't even say anything more than, when you have to actually use CGI for blood, gun smoke and cars taking a left turn, you are over-relying on what's supposed to be a crutch, not an instrument.

14. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    There's way too much CGI.
    Movie directors used to have to rely more on shot angles and an interesting story. Nowadays it feels like they just use cheap CGI and action scenes to impress the public.

15. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I like CGI in movies, but I do agree that there is too much of it in movies. I like the old movies where there was more acting involved with the movie. Noe it's like people are more interested in the special effects than the movie. Pretty soon you will not need actors. They will just di everything on computers.

16. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    There's definitely too much CGI nowadays, when you see a movie scene being filmed they are always just in-front of a huge green screen, even if the final shot is just the characters walking down a street.
    Special effects used to be cooler and more realistic back in the day too, I'd say the pinnacle of it was Jurassic Park, after that it's just a big CGI-fest.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Agreed with Iron Man 1 and Transformers, those movies were definitely great examples of CGI done and used right. I don't know what it is about some of the other movies, maybe they just don't do it well enough, or overuse it, but I'd categorize it as over-dependence/indulgence on CGI.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't mind the heavy reliance of Hollywood in CGI films, because we purposely watch movies to be entertained, right? So a CGI effect aids to that entertainment.

19. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Well if the CGI makes the things look better than I am all for it. Look at Avengers. Filled to the brim with CGI but still incredibly entertaining. On the other hand, 300 was just an absolute mess.

20. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    If a movie use CGI when the same thing could be done in real life, but they just are either too lazy to do it or don't want to pay for it, then it bothers me- especially when you can easily tell that it's cgi. But then in other movies like The Aevngers when the CGI is so real you only know it's fake because your brain tell you that something like that can't exist- then I'm okay with it.