Do you think this is rude to post on FB? (Money Related)

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by joyful728 • Oct 29, 2014.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    When a couple (or individual) becomes debt free, is it rude to post on Facebook that they have paid off all of their debts and are sooo excited. Like a post such as this:

"As of today, John and I are completely debt free! It was alot of work and we followed Dave Ramsey's plan to a tee, but after 18 months, we are now debt free!!! WOO-HOO!'

What are you thoughts? Good or bad? You won't hurt my feelings ether way.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My thoughts: they're entitled to post whatever they (the couple) want but the post per se isn't necessary. They're only exposing themselves to wagging tongues, which I'm sure they wouldn't want to wag. Anyway, just becaue FB's a venue for exercising your freedom of expression, that does not mean you shouldn't be responsible for the things you say. If tongues wag, they should not complain. The post itself was like an invitation.

3. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    What is so wrong with posting something positive on your Facebook? I'm so sick of listening to people complain about their lives on Facebook I had to un-follow them. I didn't unfriend them just un-followed. I know I was becoming one of those people and since I realized it I stopped posting anything negative on Facebook. So no I don't think it is rude to post that on Facebook at all. It brings people hope.

4. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    Well as long as there is no referral link attached, "explaining" how it was done, ha!

Then it's all good.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't find it rude at all. It's quite an accomplishment in today's (US) society. Many people are just debt ridden. I would certainly congratulate them. I'm sure it was easy to achieve such a goal.

6. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Becoming debt-free is an accomplishment so I guess the couple were just happy about it. I also think it's not "rudeness" and instead may inspire others to also strive and become debt-free themselves. As for other FB comments that I find annoying, I just hide or unfollow so it won't show up in my updates anymore. :)

7. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Hi and thanks everyone for your responses ~ to be honest I was not complaining about other people posting this on Facebook. I myself was wondering if it was a rude or tacky thing for me to do. Thank-you for sharing your opinions. If anyone else has any advice/thoughts, please share! Thanks!

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see it being a problem at all. Being debt free is something to be proud of. Not something to be ashamed of. I'm sure other people on Facebook have the same type of goals and would be interested in knowing how someone else achieved it. I'm not completely debt free but am moving in that direction. Any advice someone gives me is definitely appreciated.

9. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Someone rejoicing about being debt free is far better than some of the stuff I get on the dern site. People sharing about their new born's diaper changes, attempts at the cup song, or what someone is having for dinner is my general experience with FB. To me, being debt free is a huge accomplishment especially if the start up was as traumatic as some of debts I have seen folks get into. It's soooo much better to write about that than how many times a person failed trying to bake buscuits. Congrats and God Bless

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Being debt free is an amazing accomplishment and something to be proud of. It's not like you're bragging about buying something expensive. You're showing your excitement about seeing your hard work and sacrifice pay off. That's a good thing.

11. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    The post is actually encouraging. Many people are in debt and knowing that you have done it through that fb announcement would be an interesting point and are of discussion. You should be proud of yourself for achieving your goal.Congratulations!

12. vdenayb23

vdenayb23Member

Threads:
    I think that paying off all your debt is such a great accomplishment but I don't know if it should be posted on Facebook. But then I can imagine you being really excited about such a thing that you would wanna tell everyone. But people now a days seem to have something negative about everything positive. I hate it. But I think everyone is entitled to post what they want on their Facebook so I say hey go ahead do what you please! And congratulations that is such a blessing. Not many people can say they paid all their debt off . That is so awesome.:D

#12Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    This is my exact thought on it, too. I would just congratulate them. It's a great accomplishment and I'd be happy/proud for them.

14. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's fine. It's a great achievement (at least we can only assume so - for all we know they could have been only $100 overdrawn...). That said, it's just the nature of Facebook. There's always going to be "look at me, my life is wonderful" stuff, whether they're being narcissistic or whether they are just really excited.

There are always going to be people excited for them and there will be people slightly put out by it, for whatever reason. It's the same when someone gets overly excited about getting a new boyfriend. We might not know their full story and what was going on with their life prior.

15. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    Personally i would not post something of that nature on Facebook but i am a conservative person by nature and we are all different. It is a sensitive issue and i do not think that the world needs to know that i was in debt at one point in my life. The feeling may be an excited one for the person who is coming out of this state and feel ecstatic to the point where they just feel the need to burst it out. I would post something less personal along the line of " I am feeling so excited to be in this present situation right now to God be the glory". This will be divulging less personal information but in the event expressing my mood of being overjoyed at the same time. A lot of persons are on Facebook and persons who are not even on your friend list may have access to your site depending on the level of security that you have.