Do you think video games encourage violence?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Gin0710 • Nov 6, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It can definitely "inspire" already evil people to harm other people in various ways, like in GTA where you use a chainsaw to kill a person, but for the sane and moral people that know the difference between right and wrong, it won't make them violent at all. Being violent depends on the person's upbringing and character.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel they do have an influence on the people who play the games. I listen to my grandsons playing and the only words I hear from them are violent words. The sader part is they think it is funny when one of the characters get killed.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that it is about the mindset of the person playing. If you give a violent game to a sane person with a solid grasp on reality, nothing bad will happen. If you give a copy of Barbie Horse Adventure or Candy Crush Saga to a serial killer, they will somehow find a message even in the Barbie game telling him to kill because his mind is already warped. It's not the games, it's the players.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree.. I know they've been blamed in the past for school shootings etc, but the theme is usually that these people are mentally ill or have reached their limit of being abused. The games may have given them ideas, but had they been of sound mind, it just wouldn't have had an effect. Anyone who thinks games inspires violence, should probably stop watching tv and movies, stop reading the bible, stop watching certain sports etc.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think a video game is going to turn a non violent person violent, but those who may have those tendencies it may encourage it. All I know is that the Columbine Killers were big fans of the game Doom. I think it desensitinizes individuals to the effects of violence. My son like Tour of Duty, but he is grown....and a non violent person, so I don't worry about it.

6. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    I think video games encourage violence about as much as books, magazines and movies/tv shows. Violence exist heavily in American culture, we are a people of war. You have to raise your kids with respect for life. You have to chose to act disciplined versus give into anger. Video Games allow a person to depict acts of violence but in the end its 1's and 0's and that's that.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Persons will display a different reaction to certain situations. The video games are no exception. Some will see as just a means of entertainment, others will probably interpret it as a source of education for violent involvement. They arm themselves with the data of brutality and sometimes try to simulate these actions at the least given chance.
    It is a known fact that some people do not have the discipline and the presence of mind would enable them to see that these roles which are been plaid-out are merely fiction, so they get caught up in the furore. Videos games can be just a good form of entertainment to some. However, there is also the danger of it aiding unwholesome behaviour in others.
    I think it's important that children should try to monitor their children who are involved in playing video games to be aware of any possible aggressive behavioural changes.

8. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I've been living my life with video games and I have to agree with this notion. There's absolutely an influence to kids who are still not mature enough to learn the difference between the good and the bad. And by playing games like GTA, or other games that involve drugs and violence, kids begin to think that doing things like bullying, or bad things in essence are fine. I think that parents should be wary of allowing kids to play games that involve a lot of mature content.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to say yes. I do not think that they are really the only thing though, and I think that they probably get an unfair amount of the blame, but it is more of a societal thing all together. It is also not video games by nature, but those who are making the games, and in the end people buy what they are interested in.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This may sound crazy but in one affair that I attended, the speaker confided to us of the style of ISIS. Part of the indoctrinating procedure is the playing of computer games, the violent game that involves killing. That is to condition the minds of the future suicide bombers that killing is no big deal and dying is a rewarding sacrifice. In the minds of the indoctrinated, they will be rewarded for their deed.. of killing the enemies of their religion.

11. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    I think that video games discourage violence. The people playing video games will relieve their stress, fight the pressure, and will be more calm. I think of video games as therapy for the poor. If you shoot people in Counter Strike you can calm down and not want to fight anyone in real life.

That's just my opinion though.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I do that young teens and children who are playing violent video games are desensitized to the violence. I have seen some of the video games my 13 year old has been playing and they are quite graphic in nature. We have spoken to him about how it can affect young minds and that he needs to keep it in perspective that it is a game and that war and killing is glorified in these games. We make sure he does other activities and hangs out with real friends to develop proper social skills. I think when you look at all the tragic shootings, I would not be surprised if many of the young men that committed these crimes had played violent video games. It sends them into a dark world where killing is normal and that becomes their reality. It blurs the lines between fantasy and reality.

13. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I think games and television numbs us to violence to an extent. I think bad parenting, bad choices, and selfishness causes violence. We live in a world where no one deals with the consequences of their actions and would rather point fingers and needs someone/something to blame. Now if someone is mentally disturbed and they get an idea to do violence a certain way because of TV or a game I could see how that would be a problem. They were going to do violence already though in that case. The short answer is no, I don't think it causes violence.

14. paleblueskies

paleblueskiesNew Member

Threads:
    I think it all depends on the situation. For example I know several people personally who allow there younger kids at the youngest age of 7 play a rated R games, I honestly believe that's a huge issue. There is no way exposing a kid to something like that is healthy.