Do you think watching the movies in the theatres is worth it?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by akiii123 • Aug 27, 2014.

1. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I honestly feel that watching movies in the theaters is not worth it at all. The best way to watch a movie I have seen till now is downloading a movie. You can also think about renting a movie, if you are not comfortable with downloading.
    Also, it is a must to spend an equal amount of money on popcorns in the theatres as food from outside is not allowed. I think many a times we need to pay more on the food than on the movie, which I hate a lot. I would rather watch the movie at home on my couch.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I do a lot of volunteer work out of country and so we have gone as long as two years without entering a theatre. Let me tell you, there is nothing like a movie on the big screen when you have not been in the theatre for that long! The surround sound, the action, and the general ambiance cannot be compared to home viewing. That being said, if I were in a situation where I could go every week I doubt I would because of how expensive the prices are. This year my husband went to more movies in the theatre than I did. I'm a big Red Box, Library, and Family video fan. But I did go see a couple comedies with friends and Guardians of the Galaxy. The Guardians of the Galaxy in my opinion was worth seeing in the theatre. I have also enjoyed several 3D films which can never be repeated with home viewing. If you go with three people and order the expensive popcorn deal for 21.00, you can eat like a pig and get it refilled as much as you like even walking home with some to eat later on that night. We went through 3 tubs! Okay, I'm embarrassing myself now.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally think that going to movie theaters are still worth it. I no longer go to the cinemas as often as I used to but I still go once in a while. Yes, the price of admission may be quite high and you have to deal with different people especially if the theater is packed... but it's a great social experience. It's so much fun especially if you're watching a horror flick or something like final destination wherein people left and right keep on screaming when there are tense or shocking moments. It's not just about watching the movie. It's the entire experience that's great. :D

4. AYLAD39

AYLAD39New Member

Threads:
    I love going to the movies. There is just something so great about going out to a movie with my honey and holding hands in the dark. And now a lot of theatres have those reclining chairs where you can lift up the armrest so it's like a love seat. But we rarely do this because of the price. Seriously, even amusement parks don't charge that much for a soda. There used to be an old theatre in the town next to me that charged only $3 to see a show but sadly they closed last year. Price aside, having a night out to the movies is a classic form of entertainment and really a lot of fun!

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't go to the movies very often. Going to the movies with a friend will cost about $25 and that's with bring in our own snacks. I don't even download or torrent movies. I am perfectly entertained by what I can find on Netflix or Hulu. I have also signed up for the trial version of Amazon Prime which has given me more options.

I do like the social aspect of going to the movies. The theater near me has $7 Tuesdays. So when I do feel compelled to go to the movies, I only go on Tuesdays.

6. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    The sound and visual effects in a theatre make the effort totally worth it.

But how often you go depends on your finances and your free time as well.

#6Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  7. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    It depends on what movie it is, a movie with great visual effects and a high budget should be watched at the theatres for a full experience. A low budget film with no special effects or such would be alright to watch on DVD at home in my opinion.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on how you look at it. I mean sure it seems like a waste really that is if you can emulate the same experience of a theater in your living room. Also some movies your need to watch in the theaters to fully appreciate.

9. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I truly believe that they are not worth watching. For one, most of the time you really can not watch the movie because of all of the talking and screaming of the other customers. Every movie that comes to the theater eventually comes out on DVD quickly. Also you can always download the movie online and watch it at home. I usually do not go to the movies much, I buy them off the streets for five dollars which is a lot cheaper then going to the theater.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it is. I mean some movies are meant to be watched on theaters, you can't really enjoy watching movies like Gravity in a 20" monitor right? Also it's a great way to just get out of the house sometime and just watch a movie without having to worry about cleaning up and setting up stuff.

11. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It's okay with me if I really want to see the film. Otherwise, I can wait until the DVD comes out or it's available for me to rent online at Amazon or Google Play. I don't go to the movie theatres that often because there really isn't a film that has capture my attention for me to really want to spend money to see it. When I was a teenager I use to go to the movies all the time but I feel in recent years Hollywood has lost some stem for me in terms of producing intriguing films.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think so. I normally just end up watching movies online or getting the DVDs. Movie tickets just for one person can be $10-$13 and about $50 for a four-person family. Then the concession stands rob even more money from you. It's no wonder why people try to smuggle their own food into the theaters. You don't have to worry about that in the comfort of your own home.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Watching a movie in the theater is appealing to some people because of the atmosphere and 'experience' — better, sound, great graphics, etc. For such people I believe that since they won't enjoy a movie unless they watch in a theater spending ten or so bucks is worthwhile. For someone like me, I can watch parts of a movie which I like more than once and skip others that I find to be rather slow. Because I need such freedom, I always prefer watching my movies at home.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the movies as much as I did before, and that is because everything is expensive, from the ticket to the popcorn. However, I do enjoy to go to the movies depending on the company that goes with me. Going to the movies is much like going to a restaurant or going somewhere else, I go for the company and for the environment, not so much for the movie. Of course, the movie is important and I love paying attention and enjoying it, but if I'm willing to pay that much, I'm not going to do it by myself.

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer movie theatres to watching films online or on a TV screen. Where I live, there are two small, independent cinemas that screen art, cult and underground movies in a very atmospheric setting. I go there at least once or twice a week, alone or with a friend, as it doesn't cost much and takes me far away from my every day reality.

16. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the type of movie. I would never pay to go to the movie theater to watch a comedy, but I think action heavy movies are better on a big screen an with surround sound.
    I don't go to the movie theater often and usually reserve it for movies I'm very excited about, like How to Train Your Dragon and The Amazing Spiderman 2 recently. They looked great because they are action heavy and really pop out on the big screen.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think having a widescreen television at home certainly diminishes some of the charm of going to cinemas but from time to time I guess the experience is still a lot different and it probably just depends on the preferences of each individual on whether or not a theater would be worth the money and effort. Personally, I prefer just watching at home but from time to time I do miss watching in a theater. I prefer watching at home because I can be as comfortable as possible and wearing what I want to wear and of course also it doesn't take a lot of effort.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also think that watching movies nowadays aren't worth it because of the very expensive cost of food and tickets in the theatres. Luckily, theatres in my country aren't that strict in letting you bring food in there. Nowadays, I usually just download movies online or buy pirated discs instead of going to the theatre.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I seldom go to any movie theaters these days. And the few times that I do go, it's usually to one of the smaller independent theaters. One of them sells wine and beer, and has really comfortable seating. Plus they are seldom busy so you don't have to be squashed in a packed theater with people talking and disturbing you the whole time. My big gripe is that many of the theaters near me have never upgraded their projectors, so the movies look terrible on the screen. I could get a much clearer, brighter picture by simply downloading the movie and watching it on my big screen TV in the comfort of my living room.

20. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    It’s an experience, but these days… I don’t think seeing a movie in the theater is quite as worth it. I’m usually way more willing to wait a bit and then rent the DVD. Home viewing does have its drawbacks, but for me, the benefits far outweigh those. Beyond saving money, convenient bathroom breaks would be one of those benefits, haha!