Do you think watching the movies in the theatres is worth it?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by akiii123 • Aug 27, 2014.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I would say both yes and no. Yes if you want to have an excuse to get out the house. No because the food is over priced for no reason. I could make the food myself for a fraction of the cost. The last time I went to the movies it just so happened that on the news some guy was shooting it up in yet a different movie theater. My mother is convinced it is unsafe and will never go to the theaters again thanks to the random few shooters targeting movie theaters. It did cross my mind while I was sitting in the theater with my friend watching a movie but nothing happened to us.

2. paleblueskies

paleblueskiesNew Member

Threads:
    I personally love going to the movie theater. I often take my younger cousins at least once every two weeks. I feel like it's always fun to see their faces when the play in the arcade, then cash in their tickets for prizes. I'm not sure if a lot of theaters have arcades, but my local theater does. I also like to go a lot with friends. it's an excuse to get out, and have fun. The popcorn is also a plus.:)

3. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    I love going to the movie theater as well as long as I have the money for it. The experience is like no other, it beats everything else. Nothing feels better than watching a good movie on a huge screen and with a sound system that makes you feel like you're in there. Not to mention that you can watch 3D movies, a thing that is hard to do at home.

I watch movies in theaters, at least the ones I'm highly interested in.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nowadays, you can get a surround sound system and a big flat screen TV to create that home theater feel. Besides, you don't have to rely on theater show times. You have your own collection of movies to choose from and play anytime you want. You don't have to hear the noise from other moviegoers. You can enjoy the movies alone or with friends you know and love.

5. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's worth it at all. It's not only expensive, but you can find movies online for free even if they're brand new. Or you can just wait until it comes out on Redbox.

6. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love going to the movies. Yes, the cost is crazy expensive, but there's nothing like going to see a movie on opening weekend or those summer blockbusters. We have a decent flat screen television(no where near movie size), the surround sound and a huge movie collection at home and we love watching movies at home with family and friends too, but I think going to the movies is still worth it because it's just fun.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the movie. If it's a movie with good cinematography and an awesome storyline, watching it in a theatre would be more than worth it. A large screen brings a different experience compared to watching it with your laptop or plasma TV. Watching animated or CGI-rich movies through IMAX or digital theatres is also amazing and one I'd like to do more often. Had a blast with Star Wars: The Force Awakens at an IMAX theatre. Tip: don't go the theatre when you're strapped for cash. You must have a budget for it to avoid regrets.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I go to one movie a year, and that is on Christmas Day, and I feel like that is enough for me. I have never really seen the value in the movie theater and have always just been able to wait if it is a movie that I want to see, but this is just a tradition so we keep it going. No popcorn or anything like that either, just the ticket and the show. Even that is pretty expensive sometimes.

9. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    It's expensive unless you go during matinee. However, most movies, no I will not go to the theaters. But some movies are just meant to be seen in the movies. Like the new Star Wars was amazing in theaters. The Hobbit movies another great theater movies. But goofy movies or movies that look pretty interesting I'll wait for DVD. Plus, once in a while is nice mainly because I love the popcorn. I don't care how old it is or whatever, it still tastes good to me.

10. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I think it's worth it to watch a movie at the theatre, and it's a welcomed opportunity to get out a bit. When I do go to the movies I enjoy the change in the settings and the big screen experience which can be a bit more exciting that at home.

11. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a movie theater in months! However, I do think that seeing a movie on the big screen is worth it, especially if it's one with stunning effects, an engaging plot, and an amazing soundtrack. Being in a theater makes for a more magical experience as of opposed to staying home. Sure, it's cheaper and even more comfortable to watch a move at home, but it's just not the same.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've not been to the movies in years, actually! The reason my husband and I stopped is because it was just too expensive, and seemed to progressively get pricier and pricier. We used to go regularly, as and when the movies we liked the look of came out, we'd be there. But we soon decided to just wait until they went to DVD. Now we live in a different country, we've been meaning to treat ourselves to a night out at the movies, just to see how it is over here. But we've just never got round to it. It'll be very interesting to see how Botswana compares to the UK in terms of the level of expense involved at the movies, if you go the whole hog.

13. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's one of the great ways of doing a social gathering. That's why I usually go there with my friends. A big screen is also a great thing. You can feel immersed sometimes.

However, it's completely fine to watch the stuff on your own all alone

14. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays is cheaper to buy a aprox. 50" T.V and a good 7.1 surround sound system. The initial cost is high even if you manage to catch good offers, but it eventually pays off even if you go to watch movies in theatres few times a month. They charge too much for a movie theatre ticket, and I rarely receive a good quality service for the money I'm paying, dealing with crowded queues and distracting sounds.

Of course, this is base on my personal experience. Propably some of you are lucky enough to have a local great Movie theatre nearby. But I prefer the comfort of my home and my own schedules.

15. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I go to the movies about the same number of times that I've always been going. I did have a year's worth of free tickets once, so I ended up going every month during that time. On average, I watch maybe 10-15 movies a year, depending on whether or not I actually enjoy it.

Here in Ontario, many companies offer 2-for-1 movie ticket specials which include the ever popular "Tuesday deals" so its a great way to save the money. The theatres here also have a points system and when you rack up enough points, you get a free general admission movie ticket. Not only that, but they have a combo pack for the concession stand where you actually get a free ticket with that purchase!

Also, I think that if more and more people end up streaming movies and not supporting the actual theatre, who knows what will happen to the movie industry?

16. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    Movies are made and intended to be seen in a theater. It's really difficult to emulate the theater experience in your own home, so I do think it's worth it. I do agree that it's expensive, but I see a movie maybe once a month, maybe a little less. It's all about priorities, I guess. If saving money that way works for you, do it! It just doesn't work for me.

17. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    Personally, watching a movie in the theater simply adds to the hype surrounding watching a movie in the first days of its premiere. Watching the movie at home has a ton of benefits and is honestly much more fun. For example, it can be watched with your friends at your own pace, plus, you can watch it with your own setup and can sit comfortably which ever way you wish. Oh, and don't forget the snacks that can be easily arranged to be delicious, healthy, and cheap all at the same time.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cost of the movies is not in my budget more than once every six months, and it has to be something I really want to see on the big screen with all of the sound effects. I have a good size tv and can wait for the dvd or stream it from one of the services available.

19. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    I saw Quantum of Solace at a movie theater in Las Vegas at midnight a while after it opened. I expected to have the theater largely to myself. Then three couples with infants in strollers came in.

I expect they had thought that it was a safe time for them to go to the theater without disturbing anyone, but that was basically the last straw for me. I didn't see another movie in the theater til Avengers 2, and that only because I knew it would tie into Agents of SHIELD and I didn't want to wait six months to find out how (like I had with Captain America 2, Thor 2...)

20. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid and until I got married, going to movie theaters is one of my favorite past time. Either I went alone, with my friends or with my wife. Now, movies could be seen through CDs, DVDs, or even downloading them in the YouTube. I have never ever gone to the cinema anymore.