Do you think watching the movies in the theatres is worth it?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by akiii123 • Aug 27, 2014.

1. AlexZ

AlexZMember

Threads:
    At home. It's cheaper, more convenient, the snacks and drinks are better (and much cheaper) and there are no distractions from other people arriving late, texting and generally being distracting.

Some movies need to be appreciated on the big screen, but in general I'm happier watching at home.

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    With the prices going up I feel like it's not worth it but if you have the money it will be nice to go for the experience. I prefer watching them at home though so downloading and renting them are great options for me. If the movie is as good as my expectation and I go watch it at the theatre then I don't feel bad to have spent a bit more.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    No, not at all, since it is quite exorbitant especially if you watch an IMAX movie. That's why I just download or buy pirated movies. I get to save money, plus I can watch them over and over again as much as I like.

4. serbog

serbogMember

Threads:
    Yeah, it is always worth to watch it in the cinema. It's not even that expensive, and you get to hang out with people and friends, get to watch it 3D (if it has any) and full HD with a big screen and good stereo equipment. After the movie you get to talk about it with your friends. It's much better than wasting money for the DVD or something like that.

5. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    There is a special charm in visiting a movie theater that you can't feel at home. Sure, you can have an extremely large television but nothing compares to the gigantic screen in a dark room along with a booming sound system. In my area, you can enter with your own food so you don't have to spend too much on snacks. The theater that I go to has several cheap stores surrounding it so it's easy to purchase food then quickly go inside.

6. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have anything against watching movies on the big screen but I do prefer watching them at home. It's more comfortable and I get to eat a lot more since I'm always hungry whenever I watch a movie. Aside from the tickets and food do cost a lot on theaters, I get to pause the movie if I would need to go to the restroom first or I can replay some part that I missed usually on mind twisting movies.

7. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    For those who are a true cinephile, this question is considered a heresy. :p

The movie theater has a magic that is simply unexplained. The sensation can't be reproduced outside of it. No matter how much the technology of the new televisions try it, has not yet been possible (maybe in a near future, but not today :cool:).

8. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    It is absolutely not worth it, and I am still curious why people even go at all anymore. I get it maybe once or twice a year, but that is really it for me. It is just way too expensive.

9. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you mean by worth it. For the social purposes, I guess it's worth it but money-wise it's not worth it. One can argue that you could just gather your friends at home and watch it together saving everyone a lot of money and still having fun.

10. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    Absolutely not. Movies are ridiculously priced. Who realistically can afford to get the tickets and the food that they really want? I was using coupons 15 years ago when my kids were younger!

11. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    Well the whole experience is worth it rather than the movie itself, me and a couple of friends decide on which movie to watch then take the whole day for fun.

12. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that sometimes it is worth the cost to go and see a special movie in the theater where you have the big screen and better movie sound system that just watching on the television at home. We mostly watch free movies with our Amazon and Netflix movie subscriptions, and we use our iPads, and with the expense of going to a movie theater, it is just not worth it to see every movie that way.
    My daughter and I went to see the new Beauty and the beast movie, and we really enjoyed watching the movie on the large cinema screen. The theater had all reclining seats, with armrests and cup-holders in between each seat. It really made the movie seem special !
    The price of popcorn and soda pop at the theater is also crazy expensive; so to me, it is much better to watch movies and make popcorn at home for the most part andonly go to the theater as a special occasion for a special movie.

13. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly I find it expensive. I meant to say that in theaters not many people go for watching movies. And often things can go really bad as well. I personally don't feel that the need for paying this much amount. And also I am trying to find out if the money is possible with the streaming sites online. I think it'd be lot less in that case.

14. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    I agree that the experience itself is worth more than the movie. The prices are ridiculous.mso, at least make it a memorable experience!

15. butterflow

butterflowNew Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love going to the cinema. Unfortunately, many have now closed down, but the thrill of watching a film on the big screen, the visual and sound effects make it all worthwhile. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with watching films at home on the tv. but the social aspect of going to the cinema with friends or family and then being able to discuss it afterwards makes it an enjoyable experience.

16. Punkin

PunkinMember

Threads:
    Personally, I do not enjoy the theater. The prices for what you get are outlandish. The seats are usually uncomfortable. The volume is typically too loud. You have no control over how your fellow theater patrons behave themselves (and it seems are likely to be attacked these days for asking someone to be quiet where they absolutely should be quiet). The snack prices are a joke. You cannot pause the movie when you need to pee (I'm getting a little older. Laugh if you want, but you'll be me in a few years!). It's just a mess.

Home theaters are not expensive the way they used to be. Large, extremely high quality screens are available for the same prices regular tv's used to cost. You can get a not great, but serviceable sound system from walmartfor under $30 which will make those bass notes pop. No theater seat can beat your favorite easy chair. The snacks are free with your weekly grocery bill and you can slurp all the spaghetti you want! Plus, I can pee and not miss any of the action.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    If I go with a group of family members it seems like a fun time and you can just blend in at the cinema with them-so it does make it easier to go in a group although popcorn costs are kind of crazy these days. Also sometimes between shows at the theater they will just sweep up a little because of the next show is starting-so the floors can be a bit sticky. Sometimes they turn the sound up to high also but overall its fun to go to a theater once in awhile, just to look back on your past and think of the time you and your dad maybe saw a movie together, back in the day-but yeah just for the memories is fun !

18. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, seeing a movie at a theatre is not worth it, I think this is boring. The best place was to watch a movie is at a cinema 3D, there is more interesting to watch a movie, graphics and sound make it close to reality.
    In some situation is great to see a movie at home in the family, is much better than the theatre!

19. Kieranlewix

KieranlewixMember

Threads:
    I would only go out to watch movies at a theater if I'm taking my girlfriend.I find watching alone in such an environment very depressing.I also like to watch romantic movies in such a setting rather than action movies which I prefer to watch in my PJs.

20. bsiy8

bsiy8New Member

Threads:
    Yes. i still like to watch movie at theatres and they are still worth it.