Do You Tip at Restaurants?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Adeal4u • May 24, 2012.

1. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    If the waitress or waiter was good then I tip 15%. I use my tip calculator app on my phone to figure it up for me. If the service was bad then they get a matter of change.

2. brittanytruskosky

brittanytruskoskyMember

Threads:
    I tip whether the service is bad or good. These people are trying to make a living. I have had some awful servers but they still at least get a couple of dollars from me. My husband and I have a left 15 to 20 dollars for really good servers. I try to remember if I have a bad experience maybe they are having an awful night. You never know these people could actually be good but could just not be having luck that day. I guess you never know. Either way they are running around for you at some point and they deserve something. They rely on those tips.

3. ukfan41

ukfan41New Member

Threads:
    I feel like I have to tip well because the workers depend on my money to make a living. I will tip low though if the service is slow rude or just bad. I could never not leave a tip though.

4. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    If I eat out, which is rare as it is, I'll leave a 10% tip. If the service/food is bad, then I don't leave anything at all, save the spare change they give me. If I'm at a Starbucks or a cafe, then typically I don't tip at all or I just toss in my change into their coin holder.

5. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    Oh yes I definitely leave a tip when I go to sit down and eat. I would never not leave a tip. I think that its pretty rude to do so. Even if the service is not that great then leave a smaller tip but I would never leave nothing at all.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I leave a tip but it depends on the service as to how much I leave. Better service, better tip. My sister used to be a waitress and the tips make quite a difference. She said that the worst tip a person can leave is two pennies. That is an insult. I have never actually done that but there has been a few times I considered it.

7. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    I do tip generously. It's a shame how little the wait staff makes. If they provide good service, they get a good tip. But I see a lot people who don't care about tipping. It's just plain wrong.

8. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    In South Africa, yes, we do tip the servers/runners - always 10% of the entire bill. If the service is very good, then we tip more, but never less than 10% even if the service is bad. However, in Malaysia - the service tax is included in the bill (10%)... that's kinda sucks because you don't really have a choice if the waiter turns out to be super B.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Is that at every place? Here, sometimes it's added on to the bill automatically. For example, if it's a party larger than 6 or if the bill is more than $100, etc, then they'll automatically add a 15% tip. Then, if you want to pay more, then you can, but it guarantees that whatever waiter deals with that table doesn't get gypped for the extra work.

10. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    There are some restaurants that do that even if the bill is not very high or if the party is not more than six.

On the one hand, it does guarantee that the waiter doesn't get gypped. On the other hand, it doesn't guarantee that the customer gets good service. If the tip is included in the price and clearly marked as such, but the service was bad, I won't pay the full tip amount, and I'll leave a note saying why I did that.

11. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    In Thailand, the waiting staff are paid very low monthly wages. So low, in fact, that most of them never even bother to think about it.

What they live on and work for are the tips. That's why you can get very good service in Thai restaurants. If you are in a party of, say, four people, there will be definitely one waiter or waitress who is assigned specifically to serve just your table. So your glass is filled without your asking. Your dessert arrives exactly when you are ready for it.

When I am in Thailand, I have no problem about tipping the staff. The amount I give is totally unrelated to my bill. My bill may be 500 bahts but, if the service is exceptional, I don't find it hard to give 200 bahts as a tip.

12. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    Depends on how good the service is. If the service sucks, then I do not provide a tip. However, if the service is good I stick with 10%.

13. bargainbabe

bargainbabeActive Member

Threads:
    In most places, the tip makes up the waitress salary. I know in some parts of Alabama, for example, the hourly wage for a waiter/waitress is 2 USD, with tips used to make up the difference. So it's definitely a big deal not to tip. Unless the server is obscenely rude, I'm going to tip at the standard rate of 15% of the check.

14. mimi8zm

mimi8zmMember

Threads:
    I definitely leave a tip when I eat out at a restaurant. If I've had excellent service, I would be a generous tipper and would be going back again. But if it was just so-so, I just leave a few bucks. If I didn't like the service, I wouldn't leave a tip (and that means it must have been reeeeaaaaallllyyy bad service). I think the good waiters/waitresses deserve it.

15. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I work in a restaurant, so I know what the servers are dealing with. i also understand not everything is the servers fault. Alot of the food problems experienced are direct resukts of the kitchen. So if the server was average I tip 15%, if they were not doing their job proerly it ranges from 5-10%, and exceptional service or one who communicates, like oh your food is going to be a fewextra minutes due to whatevere...i give 20%.

16. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, being that I used to be a server, I know what it's like to be in the industry. Unless service really sucks, I rarely ever tip below 15%. Most of the time, it's closer to 20%.

17. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I usually tip around 10% of the final bill. If the service is lousy or very slow then I don't tip more than 8% but I also consider the quality of food before taking such measures. If you are visiting a foreign country then forget to read the tipping etiquette as it may be quite different from your country.

18. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    Tipping is not nothing but a cultural phenomenon. Thus, it is logical that every culture depends on where we travel and destination. In some cases, different countries have established what percentage of intake should be left as a tip. I think it's a good habit to tip. It all depends on where we are. For example, in many European countries must be left between 10 and 15 percent of total counts. To prevent clients forget the tips, many restaurants around the world include the tip in the bill, but not most. Although in many places there is something of a convention between the employee and the consumer, "assume" that the consumer will leave extra money for the employee. I prefer to leave the tip in accordance to the attention of the employee.

19. alid1

alid1New Member

Threads:
    I tip if the service is good or bad. I will tip 10%if it is bad service. If it is good service,I will tip generously. I know these servers are hard workers. Even if their attitude is not great, there is probably a reason for it. They have a hard job. Serving people all day and listening to complaints is rough. When I was a teen,I was a waitress nd a lot of people are ruuude! I don't know how I kept my smile, but it would payoff. Some of the worst customers would give me nice tips, because I didn't retaliate with a bad attitude. But I do understand, why some servers are so sour!

20. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    We normally tip 10 percent which is the standard rate in South Africa whether the service is good or bad, although we tend to avoid the restaurants that gives bad service.