Do You Tip at Restaurants?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Adeal4u • May 24, 2012.

1. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    I usually tip at a restaurant only when the service is really good. There are quite a few times when you go to a fancy place to eat but the food isn't really good or the waiters are just rude. I think its perfectly fine to not leave a tip at such times. A lot of restaurants add service tax to your bill, which is actually quite high. I have stopped giving tips where service tax is included unless the service was simply mind blowing.

2. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I tip but I don't tip that much. Maybe $2.00 or $3.00, but that's it. Most waitresses don't give good service anyway, they keep coming around giving out refills only to check and see if we are gone so their tip won't get stolen. But when we actually need them they are no where to be found. I mean I work hard just like they do, so me giving more than I can afford is out the question. People tend to feel sorry for but in reality they make a lot of money. My friend makes at least $14.00 an hour from tips. And that's more than I do. I make $8.50 with no tip.

3. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    So here's a question though. Pertaining to this topic. How often do you tip based on the hotness of your waiter (women), or waitress (men)? If your waitress is an extra-good looking female. Do you base your tip on that? Even if she screwed up your order twice, and was slow getting it to you when she finally got it right? And what about you ladies? If your waiter looks like a young Tom Cruise, does he get more money than the guy who looks like year-2000-Dick Cheney?;)

4. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I give tips irrespective of the service being good or bad. It's 10% in the most cases, well almost always I think. But I do not go out to eat in restaurants a lot.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The type of fast food chains I usually eat at don't have tipping. But if I went to a sit down restaurant with wait staff, I would tip at least 15% for good service.
    I once got chewed out by a forum owner for saying that I don't tip at fast food places, but if I'm buying a hamburger at McDonald's for $1, it means I don't have extra money to be tipping people.
    Besides, fast food workers are paid hourly.

6. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I live it's normal for the bill to come with a 10% tip cost included. I rarely ever give a larger tip than the 10%, only if service is exceptional. I think 10% is already a good amount to tip.

7. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I pay between 10-15% of my bill. Also depends on the waiter personality and charm. Some waiters try to impress and don't write anything down. Most of them have been right but one got the orders completely wrong. I left a 5% tip even though they changed everything. We were in the restaurant double the time because of his mistake.

8. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    Yes, I am known to be a very generous tipper. Even when the service is average I will still tip a good amount. I have friends and relatives who work within the restaurant industry and understand the struggles. I do hate when restuarants automatically add a gratuity charge because that is a choice for the customer to make. I tip more than the 15% anyways but its still dumb to be forced to pay a certain "gratuity".

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I always tip 15% or approximately that for normal service. If the wait person did a particularly good job I will tip a little more than that. I think it is just basic courtesy in America to tip 15%. Unfortunately many people don't do that if they are not in a good mood or there was an error, even though errors happen sometimes because we are human. I think the only reason I would ever not tip is if the wait person was being rude or wearing something so low cut or short that I feel they are being disrespectful to men who do not want to think such thoughts of other women than their wives.

10. HarryBajwa

HarryBajwaNew Member

Threads:
    If i like the food taste and freshness then i always leave 10% tip at restaurant.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only tip when I go to the hairstylist, but when I eat in fast foods and restaurants, I don't tip anymore. Over here in the Philippines it's a common practice not to tip service crew employees, but in the US I read that tipping is quite common.

12. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I ALWAYS tip at restaurants. My starting tip is 20% but it can go up from there. Only once I left less than 20% and that was because I sent my food back because there was hair in it, the server brought out what she claimed to be a new plate but when I looked the same hair was there. I think I left like 10% or something...probably shouldn't have even left that.

13. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I always leave a tip. Waiters only get paid a couple of dollars an hour and earn the rest in tips. I worked as a waitress in college so I know how it feels to get tipped well or get nothing at all. In the US there is really no reason to not tip your waiter. If you can't afford to tip, skip eating out all together and save money by cooking and waiting on yourself at home :)

14. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I really agree with the bolded text. Not everyone, but I have heard many people say that the dinner is so expensive why should they have to tip. It drives me crazy because when I go out I consider the tip when I am deciding whether or not a restaurant is within my price range.

15. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I do tip if the waiter is trying his best to give a great service. Sometimes, you get unlucky and end up with a cranky server or just a terrible one. I am somewhat inexperienced and my judgment is weak when it comes to tipping at restaurants. I do not tip when it is not required, but I calculate the amount based on the quality of service. If the waiter is extremely nice, then I would be a little generous. It is more than likely that the servers make slave money and rely on tips to get a good salary for the week. It can be a difficult job, so it is important to acknowledge that.

16. sharpayvargas1

sharpayvargas1Member

Threads:
    I would give a tip depending on the kind of restaurant. There are restaurants where people are used to receive tips so just to comply with tradition, I would give a tip but as less as possible. Maybe if I'd get rich, I'll be generous. Because right now, I'd rather choose fast-foods than the fancy restaurants that expects tips. The only difference is the venue and service. About the quality of food, there's not much of a difference.

17. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    yes, tip at restaurants. not as much as i would like to, because money has been tight lately, but as much as i possibly can. i appreciate good service and like to show my appreciate my tipping my waiter or waitress. those folks work hard and should be rewarded for that hard work by their customers.