Do You Tip The Delivery Person When Shopping Online?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by DrRipley • Dec 12, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I feel guilty whenever I don't tip the delivery person so I usually do try my best to give them even just a little, especially during the holidays, but to be completely honest sometimes I'm a bit hesitant because if I tip then I'd just be giving them what little I saved by researching and finding coupons to shop online. If I save $4, let's say, and I feel compelled to give them $2 then it would almost totally negate what I just saved in discounts. The numbers I portrayed here are just an example but hopefully you get the idea.

Anyway, do you guys tip your delivery people or do you just say thanks?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, tipping never crossed my mind as I usually do this in a restaurant or salon setting where I feel the need to tip the waiter or the one handling my hair or nails. Of course, when there's already a service charge, I sometimes forgo the tipping because it'll then be redundant. Maybe I should reconsider my tipping habits and include delivery personnel in my list of people to be tipped.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm British and we don't tip delivery men or women. I used to have deliveries from a particular driver who was always good about making sure I got my package and would put his own number down so he could come back and drop off the parcel for me. I gave him a few bottles of beer, which he was very grateful for. If it's a regular person and they do something like that then I would give them a box of chocolates or an equivalent rather than money as it's a gesture of thanks.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I never tip any delivery person, just like I don't tip the postman for example.
    The only places I leave a tip is at restaurants and only if the service is exceptionally good, otherwise they will need to make due with their salaries, the only place I've heard about where tipping is seen as mandatory is really in the US.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will tip when ever I am at a restaurant or I have a delivery at home from a restaurant, because the delivery guy is usually hired by the restaurant. However, if I am shopping online and the person delivering a box from UPS, FedEx for the mail I will never tip them. They are hired just for that, so it's not a habit for anybody I know. At least where I live.

6. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's wise to tip mail delivery people, they may get fired for it, especially public servants mail personnel. I also believe tipping gets in their way of doing their jobs, which require a steady flow and continual movement. Plus, I don't believe in tipping unless I want to tip or am serviced for something very expensive, like eating at a 5 star restaurant or valet service.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to at first but then I realized that there was absolutely no need for me to buy something cheap online and have to fork out some of the cash I saved to someone who is being paid to do his job. Oh wait, I'm not stingy — just practical. If a delivery is made on Christmas eve or New Year's eve I might make an exception and give the delivery person a gift but never cash. Any other time of the year, I'll not tip. At all.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We here have to pay taxes on any kind of delivery, so tipping the delivery person is not common. Taxes can be quite high, depending on the weight and content of the package. So, most people don't feel like handing out any extra money, even if the delivery is rapid and without any incidences.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Tipping delivery men and women aren't common in my country, so I never really tip them. I only give a tip to the hairstylist that happens to cut my hair.

10. lucyarty

lucyartyMember

Threads:
    I'm in the UK and we don't tip delivery people here, so I don't. I understand the awkward feeling, though; I'm genuinely never sure whether I should be tipping taxi drivers or hairdressers, so I never do because I worry about looking weird or patronising... and then I always feel guilty afterwards! I wish there was a manual for this kind of thing.