Do you torrent instead of paying?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Livvy • Jul 10, 2014.

1. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    So like the title says, do you torrent your movies instead of paying for them? That can be new releases or older ones which are out on DVD or Blu-ray, doesn't matter to me.

Personally, yes I do. I just don't have the money to watch every movie that I want to, and no I don't feel any shame in admitting that.

2. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    I don't torrent, but I do try to find sources that offer free legal streaming. A lot of production studios are putting their movies up online for free just for exposure. Sometimes they use YouTube for a limited amount of time. But now a lot of their have their own website/app that they host. Crackle is Sony Picture's version, and there are a LOT of movies on there. There's a few years delay of when these movies go to DVD, but Crackle has a very large selection of movies and television shows.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't torrent movies because there aren't enough movies of interest for me to watch nowadays. If I want to see a movie it's usually old enough for it to be played on the TV. If I really wanted to see a movie and I could only find it online I'm happy with just streaming it.

4. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    No, that's a bad habit to get into. I'm not saying that it's wrong, when I was still in college and struggling with my finances I had to resort to torrenting some of the books and lessons (and also TV shows and games for my entertainment) But when I reached the point in my career that I can really afford paying for things I tend to pay them off fair and square. But when it comes to games, I tend to torrent them off first and if I liked the game, I go and purchase it. I consider torrent sites as a 'risk-free trial' for anything computers can read.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stream my movies from Netflix, Amazon and Youtube. I have seen a few on Crackle. I forgot about them, I will need to have to check them out to see if they have anything I may like. I am not a big movie or tv person.

6. IrishLad

IrishLadNew Member

Threads:
    I torrent pretty much all the movies I watch. I do it because they're too expensive. Also torrenting is much quicker than actually going out and buying a DVD so it's got that going for it too.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I stay at home most of the time so I don't have much time going to stores to buy dvd's or going to cinemas. I do torrent when the movie is worth watching so I have to check the rating of the movie first before actually downloading. Some of them are cam copies though.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on what I'm torrenting really if it's a crappy movie or something like that I have no shame in pirating but its something good then I would pay for it. I also torrent stuff that are too expensive to buy or really hard to find. But for the most part I do pay for everything I consume, I'm not a high school kid anymore. If you can afford it go pay for it, if not well just make sure you keep it to yourself.

9. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've used torrents once or twice only, I simply don't get accustomed to it, don't ask me why. I do download stuff from the net, I understand that according to a new law in my country it's legal considering you use it for your private use, but there is a huge legal battle around that, so I am not surprised if those contents disappear from the net soon enough.

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I will admit I use torrent if I can't find the movie on YouTube. My only concern is the torrent carrying viruses but it hasn't been an issue thus far. I still buy new release DVDs if I really love the movie. For old TV shows, I use torrent a lot. I am also tight on money and if I can find an affordable or free way to watch a movie or TV show online, I will use it.

11. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I sue to worry about virus back then but when i started using unix system, I then can download whatever it is. I even end up downloading something I don't really like but what I like downloading are the files from lynda.com.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even know how torrents work. I have tried it once or twice but lost interest quickly. I can see most of the movies that interest me on youtube or Netflix. Also I have a big DVD library at home. I am someone who watches movies again and again and never gets tired of it. I don't mind paying for the films and documentaries that interest me.

13. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    I don't use a torrent. I would rather pay for what I deserve. If you end up stealing, in the long run it will always catch up. I used to steal so much and even after I stopped stealing, I would lose things left and right. Wondering why?

God bless, LIONZFIRE

14. Tapel

TapelMember

Threads:
    Well, I have to admit, I do torrent most of the time.... nah... all of the time. I know it's illegal but it makes more sense to me. I only torrent shows that I want to watch. I don't torrent everything and sell it on DVD like some people do. And also, it practically free. Who wouldn't want free stuff?

15. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, the virus threat when it comes to torrents is incredibly low despite what people seem to believe. First of all, it's incredibly easy to tell is something is a virus or not. Are you downloading some random exe file instead of a movie? Then yeah, that's a virus. But you can see the files before you even download.

16. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't download torrents and I won't say that it's wrong or right either. Who may to spell out what's right and wrong? However for me, I prefer watching old movies and I normally get most of them on sites like youtube, dailymotion and a few other video-hosting sites. When I can't then I buy used DVDs. They are very cheap on ebay/half.com

17. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    When you're actually a stay at home person and with out a time to go out, this might just be one of the things you would be doing.
    AS for me, I want to utilized the hours when not infront of my desktop while the computer is on. SO while doing this, I might just download a movie and when I'm back I will be ready when i get to eat my snack. Most of the time it will take about 2-4hours before its done.

18. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I don't torrent. I like to watch whatever is available for free on Youtube or Hulu. If I want to watch a movie, I used to go to Blockbuster. However, since they've closed, my one-stop-shop is Amazon with their rental services. Unfortunately, they don't carry all the movies I want to watch, so I end up skipping out on those titles.

19. thestoryteller1

thestoryteller1New Member

Threads:
    Same here. I buy when I can, and when I really like something, but sometimes I really can't. I like more to just stream things for free online, but if I can't find something, and can't afford it, I guess I do download.

20. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    I totally forgot about torrents and piracy when streaming service such as Netflix & Amazon Prime came along. Although I am getting pretty angry at distributors for holding back popular series from these services in an attempt to get people to pay an unreasonable price for them. I'd pay a tenner for a season of TV but no more and not that much for a movie. I have the patience to wait them out and I can do without them longer than they can do without my eyeballs. As I've gronw older I find that I feel more and more that torrents and such are nothing more than theft in digital form.