Do you toss out clothes that don't fit?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • Aug 14, 2014.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do tend to hold onto my old clothes a little longer than I should. I eventually donate the ones that are still in good shape to a women homeless shelter. I used to keep clothes hoping that I would lose weight, but that never seemed to happen.

2. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    When my clothes get to small, I usually try to give then to the Salvation Army. I try to donate as much as I can to help families in need. The clothes that I do not donate, the ones that are inappropriate, I usually sell online.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Same here. I always wash any clothing I plan to donate. I never give away dirty apparel to charity. Not my style. I toss out clothes I don't fit in as well as clothes I don't really care for anymore. I'm not one of those women who obsess about not being the same size I was in high school. Our bodies and metabolism will change over time. That's inevitable. However, one can maintain an ideal frame through working out with various exercises to avoid a fitness plateau and changing their eating habits to increase their metabolism.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My body has stayed the same over the years, only my tastes have changed. These days I like to wear clothes that are comfortable and that, preferably, I don't feel at all. I neither throw my clothes away, nor do I keep them for years in my wardrobe. If I don't like them anymore, I give them to friends or family, or take them to a charity bin.

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, I either donate them or give them to a friend that can wear them. I have little space to store excess clothes in my flat so I'd rather make someone in need happy. This happens a lot since I buy most of my clothes cheaply from second-hand stores or the flea market - and since they're inexpensive I tend to not check very well what I buy.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually now intend to sell my old clothes that I have only worn once or twice so that I can make some extra money from selling it, considering they still look really nice. The worn ones I just usually give away, like over here if we dump the old clothes on top of our garbage thrash can cover that's outside our house, the next day someone will pick them up already.

7. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really keep at all. If an article of clothing doesn't suit me well anymore I tend to either give them away to someone who wants it, turn it into a rag (if it's really ugly) or just donate them or sell them somewhere. I wouldn't throw away clothes in the trash, ever.

8. KaranKhurana

KaranKhuranaBanned

Threads:
    I have some cheap shirts bought during sale. At that time i seems to me bang for bucks but later i regret why i bought them. I still have them with price tag on it. I am just lazy and forgetful to donate it.

9. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    No, I don't toss them away, but my mother takes them to clean around the house.

But if it's a half-new thing I tend to give it to my younger relatives - it'd be a shame to throw it away!

And if there's a charity I go dig into the close to find something, of course.

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    The truth is, I haven't grown since grade school. I was pretty tall and big when I was in elementary and I thought I would get even taller over time, but no, my height stayed the same. So I still have the clothes I had when I was 12, and I still could fit in them, and I still wear them now. Actually, some of them are pretty loose on me because I've lost a couple of pounds as I've gone older. Isn't it weird?

11. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Never! One of three thing happen when they don't fit anymore. First, if I intend to lose/gain weight in the future I put hem up in a box. If I know that there is no reasonable way these clothes will ever fit me again, I give them to someone they might fit. If its a lot of clothes, and not just one or two items, I donate them to Goodwill or Salvation Army. I will lose sleep if I waste perfectly good clothes. There's always other options besides waste

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find it a waste to toss out clothes that no longer fit me. Rather than discard them, I donate them to victims of disasters (e.g. flood, fire, typhoon, earthquakes, etc). Those people would have a better use of the clothes I've outgrown. I'll also be consoled at the fact that even if my clothes no longer fit me, they're now worn by individuals who need them most.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't really changed shape for years so I got rid of all the stuff that doesn't fit me a long time ago. I'm not one to hang on to ill-fitting clothing though and always take it to the nearest charity shop so someone else can get some wear out of it. T-shirts that no longer fit, or are in too poor condition to donate tend to get cut up and used as dusters.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Clothes that are too small or out of style I donate to the goodwill. I try to purchase quality items that stay in style for some time and a few items to fill in the empty spots like jeans and slacks by getting items on sale or the goodwill.

15. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't tend to yo-yo very much with my weight so I don't tend to get that much bigger than my clothes very much. There are times that I might be a little bit bigger and can't wear certain items as well as they are a little bit tighter. But every time I do my twice a year detox I'm pretty guaranteed to be able to get back into them.

16. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    I am guilty of holding onto clothes I do not fit. However, I have been able to get into these clothes over the years and sometimes I out grow them. I fall into the category of a yo-yo dieter. Wish I would simply get to my ideal weight and stay there. I do have a pair of pants that are 15 years old. I tend to hold onto them as a gage of where I want to be in regard to weight. Pants and skirts are the only things I have though. My shirts get worn out, so I don't keep them.

17. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I have a pretty stable weight. I was 115 pounds before pregnancy and I have been 130 since having kids. That was 7 years ago so my old pre pregnancy clothes have long been out of my wardrobe. I have given away and thrown away everything from my lighter days.