Do You Travel By Train?

Discussion in Travel started by remnant • Jun 12, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Travelling by train is quite a thrilling experience because you get to view the countryside. You also get into a sort of a community of travellers which adds to the experience. The best part is that since it is a form of mass transportation, the fare is easy on the pockets. I haven't used tube trains but I guess if the cost element happens to be on the higher side, the speed of travel more than compensates for it.

2. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I have traveled by train once. On that trip I was going to meet Mr.Cluckeyo for a section hike, while he was thru-hiking the Pacific Crest Trail out in California. I began in the car, then got on a plane, then goin in a shuttle, then got on the train, then got on another bus. And finally it was time to use my feet. The trainride was enjoyable. I got to see the grapes growing in the fields, back behind the towns. where nobody normally sees.

3. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I have travelled by train quite often here in Europe. Most of the time from Northern to Southern Germany or from Germany to France or through Portugal. I also took the train from Seattle to Portland before along the West coast. I really enjoy riding the trains, you can relax and enjoy the beautiful landscapes and water bodies you pass by. You can take naps and nobody will disturb you. You have enough leg room compared to a bus. I would definitely say that travelling by train is a wonderful experience and everyone should try it out. We are so used to travelling by car or plane that we forget trains also exist and have great adbantages for travelers.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I lived in the UK, I used to commute by train and tram. I initially loved it and looked forward to my commute. But it soon got old LOL There were too many things I found irksome for me to continue enjoying it. Stuff like the fares going up every single year, the trains being heavily delayed, the trains not showing up, the train breaking down before you got to your destination, the trains being crammed full, having to stand on a long commute etc Oh, I could go on and on. I just didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth, and a lot of other commuters agreed. I guess if you're visiting or you're not rushing to work and not having to commute on a daily, it's great :)

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    My husband used to go to school by train. He loved it and chose it over many more transportation options. As for me, I don't like travelling by train especially in our country. For one, it can be chaotic. You'd have to fight for your place every single day. You're not even guaranteed a seat each time.

Then, it isn't always as comfortable when you're all squished together during the whole ride. And when your stop is already coming, you better squish your way to the door before that station or you might risk not being able to reach your destination.

For me, I'd choose any other transportation option than train. I'd rather ride the jeepney, the tricycle or the bus. Sure, they might be slower but at least I'm more comfortable and stress-free with them. Haha!

6. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Trains here are way overpriced. After I move, I will be using them all the time, but it is -not- worth it to me right now. Plus, I don't even really wanna go anywhere. I just wanna get stuff done :)

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have a train system in Hawaii right now and getting a rail system is proving to be quite expensive. We're all coping with traffic situations that building the rail system is causing right now. I'd love a train system in Hawaii one day. In the olden days there was a train system that people used and enjoyed.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I love to travel by train if it is to get downtown because then I do not have to deal with parking and it is so much faster than dealing with traffic in Los Angeles. I do not like taking cross country trips because then I am just wasting my time. I would rather fly 6 hours to get to the other side of the country instead of traveling by the rails for a week.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have trains here in Metro Manila for urban commuting. It is much cheap to travel by metro train since the fare is just half of the bus fare for the same distance. However, the metro trains are too crowded and the long line sometimes reach half a kilometer (no exaggeration). When I cannot use my car, I just take the bus and pay more instead of enduring the long queue for the train ride.

When we are in Hongkong and Singapore, it is always the train because it is easier to travel regarding directions. All we need is the location map of the stations and off we go on our own haunt for tourist spots. What's good in Hongkong is the Octopus card that we load with credit for swiping in the turnstiles. It's very convenient. In Singapore, they also have that train card.

10. LordAndSaver

LordAndSaverMember

Threads:
    I live around 30 minutes north of New York City and I'd say riding the train is, by far, the most convenient way of entering the city. It's a little pricy, at around $18 round trip, but I'm sure the trouble and cost of finding parking in the city would probably cost more. No dealing with any sort of traffic either. Buy your ticket, sit down, stand up when you're in Grand Central. Done. This is also really convenient in going out at night, as you don't need to worry about having a designated driver. Also, if you do live far from the train station, an uber from the station is probably a lot cheaper than an uber from the city.

11. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I am considering using Amtrak to travel to Oklahoma from Texas. Anyone travel Amtrak? It is only a four hour trip and thought it might be a little adventure.

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I do now. I have a 16-25 card which makes it slightly cheaper than car to travel (and a lot faster). For travelling to cities train is better, because driving is becoming more and more difficult. I would never drive to London, and most cities above 200,000 people I would almost certainly not drive to.

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have traveled by train. I have gone from coast to coast and back again on Amtrak, that was really cool. I used to go to Florida by train as wel .lLately, I haven't had the money for train travel however, last week I do ride the local metro train in Alexandria Virginia, outside of DC.I enjoyed that. I do like train travel.

14. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I love travelling by train. I like the speed and the landscapes that you can enjoy while taking a seat and looking through the mirror. I prefer this method of transportation rather than bus. Bus is sometimes too narrow and loud.

15. sidjohn

sidjohnMember

Threads:
    Travel by Train is really exciting things to do and affordable mean of transport to go for all. Last time I travel by Las Vegas Monorail and enjoy the night views of Vegas Stip that was impressive thing to do for me. I msut is really a cool way to go for.

16. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Travel by Train must be really charming and would be really having such a good and most fantastic time for enjoying it a lot ahead.