Do You Trust Craigslist?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by MyPoesies • Oct 5, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Sorry I don't trust cragslist. This site should have thought about the fact that strangers are meeting for the first time. One had the cash while the other has the valuable good. Who is to say that you won't get robbed? Then Craigslist doesn't even bother about the spamming going on either.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You shouldn't apologize for it. Craigslist is not to be trusted, and this has been proven time and time again. I have heard dodgy stories about Ebay, which in my eyes is far more reputable than Craigslist, so what is to say that robbings don't take place there? If murders do, then robbings surely do.

3. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Craigslist is a website. It's neutral. Like Ebay, your results will vary based on the individual sellers/buyers. Yes, there are scams in both places. You can also be scammed when you buy things at yard sales and flea markets in person - stolen electronics are common in all of those places, for instance.

Any person anywhere you go could be a murder or a thief or a rapist. How many strangers do you get near in a day? People at in the grocery store, in the mall, on the bus, in the parking garage? I'm on a cash-based budget so I always have cash on me. I also always carry a newer cell phone and my kindle in my purse. I'm essentially a prime target, as I'm sure most of you are too. Often my laptop is in the car or even on me if I'm carrying my backpack. Any stranger I come in contact with could rob me or kill me or rape me. I don't understand why people think meeting someone intentionally in public is MORE dangerous than just being out of the house. If anything, I think it is less dangerous because when I meet someone from craigslist, a friend always knows where I'll be and when to hear back from me. The rest of the time, I don't give people an itinerary.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have never heard of anybody getting murdered, or kidnapped, or scammed into a life threatening circumstance through using Ebay lol. I have heard multiple stories about it happening on Craigslist though :) I am not sure why as there are many websites like Craigslist, and they do not attract the type of activity that Craigslist does. It is curious to wonder why Craigslist seems to be the devil's black hole.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't trust Craigslist at all for jobs. I have rarely seen a job that I can be okay with trying. Some of them seem trustworthy but it's hard to tell because there's often no company name leaving you with no way to research.
    I think Craigslist is okay to buy and sell. You just have to be cautious but you have to be cautious in a lot of places you go anyway. If I still have my dog today that I got from there which people say is the worst category to get then I would think you don't have to avoid it like the plague

6. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on for what.There are things that I'm either not going to buy used (like Furniture) or that I just won't buy on Craigslist (clothes, cars). Other than clothes or cars, I've bought and sold things many times and haven't ever really had any trouble. I spend way more time browsing than I do buying.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    In my opinion, the online jobs and advertisements seem to be the safest bet when it comes to Criagslist. But even with many of those, they do seem very scammy. I remember when I was looking for online work last February, and came across some of the job ads posted there. I instantly felt like I should exit the page.

8. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    There are some legitimate opportunities on Craigslist. When I search for jobs on Craigslist I do my best to research before I do anything, if a job seems suspicious to me I avoid it all costs. There are some scams on Craigslist and if it seems too good to be true it most likely is.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While I'm sure that there is some legit stuff on the list, I'm not comfortable using it. I've heard too many horror stories, and it makes you think twice. I wouldn't want my mom or my daughters using it and meeting some strange person to conduct a transaction. I just don't think it's worth taking the risk, personally.

For applying for a job, maybe, but not for anything where you have to go out and meet someone you don't know. Most of the "jobs" I've seen on there don't seem above board to me anyway, not online jobs anyway.

I think the original idea for the list was great, but there's no way to guarantee safety.

10. nailah783

nailah783Member

Threads:
    I have posted on Craigslist and I have purchased off of Craigslist. We have to be careful when we post and when we purchase off of this site though. People can be shady and they can try to scam you. I haven't had a hard time with the site, but I know some people who have. You want to take someone with you when you are making the pick up or drop off. You want to go somewhere public. You want to be smart is the bottom line for this site.

11. cheryllei9h

cheryllei9hNew Member

Threads:
    I have never sold anything on there, but I did buy a used laptop on there before. It worked great for a good while. Got a case with it too. I believe that is the only thing I ever bought on there, but it was a good experience.

12. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    I've used Craigslist since the first year it went live in my area. I don't buy because I don't drive and can't arrange to meet somewhere safe. I do sell, and arrange for services. Never had a problem. You do need to be cautious though. I have 'sixth sense' on whether a person selling is trustworthy. For services, it's a bit tricky but you can ask for references. One person I've used as a handyman that I found on Craigslist has been my handyman for 8 years now. He became a good friend also.

When selling, I email and talk to the person several times before giving them my address and directions to my home.

I've sold much of the same type of things I sold on eBay. Jewelry, clothing, small electronics, furniture, odds and ends I don't need anymore. I even had some repeat customers!

The precautions I take when selling are:
    1. If someone won't give me their phone number so I can call them, I don't go any further.
    2. My neighbor across the street watches out for me and knows when I have someone coming over.
    3. Never let anyone come into your home. NEVER! I meet outside my house near the curb. Be visible.
    4. Even though I live alone, I inform them my spouse is coming home very soon. I wear a ring that looks like a wedding band.
    5. My dogs are at the window barking their head's off and making a loud commotion. Dogs are good!
    6. I let the buyer know I keep no money or change in the house. They have to bring the exact amount. This eliminates any need for me to go back into the house for any reason.

I said I don't buy, but... the one time I did I purchased t a rescue dog that was advertised from a reputable animal site. They kindly showed up at my house with one of the dogs I currently have now. He's definitely the best dog I ever had. So, I think Craigslist is a good deal.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Been reading some disturbing news about another Craiglist murder. In the past you've heard stories of buyers being killed by Craiglist sellers but now sellers too are targeted by robbers. If you intend to sell anything on Craiglist, no matter how heavy what you are selling is, don't give your home address to anyone or else risk being robbed by people who you invite into your house.

Try a site like offerup.com/

14. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I hear a lot of people use it and get good results. However, I am too apprehensive to use. I prefer to just pay some extra fees and go through companies like e-bay that handle the money for you. Same goes for services. I heard someone find a babysitter through it, but I would rather pay for the security and safety of Care.com.

15. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    Craigslist is more likely for local buying

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have only really tried to use Craigslist one time, and that was to advertise my online business. But then I saw how scammy ans skeezy it could get or at least that is what it seemed like to me, and then decided not to advertise my online business on there, because I figured no one would bite anyway.

17. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I personally would not buy anything off of craigslist. It's just too risky. I've heard too many stores of folks getting robbed and murdered attempting to buy stuff off there. There's not anything on this planet that is worth that type of risk to me. There are plenty of legitimate sites such as Amazon and Ebay that I trust a lot more than Craigslist.

18. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I check the local Craigslist posting every day. I have had very good luck finding free items that people just don't want or need anymore and purchasing items from as large as a car to as small as handcrafted jewelry. I also list things for sale on Craigslist occasionally. For instance, I have a recliner in the "For Free" section right now. I am trying to give it away to someone who can use it rather than paying to have it hauled to a dump. I typically use the call a buddy security system that I have with a few friends for distribution of my things or going to pick up something. I find if people know you are aware of the risk and you are in contact with someone while with a stranger you don't invite inappropriate contact.

19. shrinkwatson

shrinkwatsonNew Member

Threads:
    Hello to all I just want to say that you find many scammers and fakers on Craigslist.com. Well, same problem in "real life" but still it is not really a safe place. Concept is great, however.The fact that Craigslist has been around forever is also a big plus.

20. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I use Craigslist every once in a blue moon, but I never buy or sell to people who aren't willing to exchange numbers, and I never meet up with anyone while I'm alone or in a part of town that I don't know well.

Personally, I prefer selling in Facebook yardsale groups.