Do you try before it before you buy it?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by sarz • Oct 21, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    For me, most of the time the answer is no. As I prefer to shop alone I am usually on my own. It has took me long enough to find what I want to buy the queue for the changing rooms is like a mile long. Once I get past that I have to stand in the even longer queue for the check out. So I think, argh I will just try it on when I get home and if it doesn't fit I'll bring it back. But then the garment usually just sits there and I end up giving it away or keeping it and never wearing it.

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what the item is and my schedule is like. If I have time to run home, try it on and take it back without issue, then I may not use the changing room. If it's something like jeans from a brand that I don't already have pairs of, then I'll just try them on there. I haven't ever run into long lines to try something on, so that is not much of an issue for me.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never purchased an item of clothing without trying them on except for underwear. I am top heavy so I need to make sure blouses fit correctly. Patterns may look great on the hanger, but not so great on me. Sizes can vary according to the brand name or manufacturer. I only buy 10 to 20% of what I try on. I'm very picky. This is why I don't buy clothes online.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course. That's part of the buying protocol. I have to try something (be it clothes, watch or any other accessory) before I buy it. The item might not look good on me and I don't want to regret my purchase and go through the hassles of returning the stuff. I also don't want to keep going back and forth and be disappointed should a bigger or smaller size be out of stock. So better try something out before you buy it.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't always try things on, only if they are in the sale or if it's something I'm not sure of. I never try on tops, but dresses I have to for the fit because I have a long body and a large chest and fitted dresses don't always hang well.

If I'm somewhere that I don't visit often then I will try it on, but sometimes it's too much hassle if I have layers on. It also depends on how busy the changing rooms are, if there is a line I say to myself it was not meant to be.

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I use to wait until I return home to try on clothing. I am someone who don't like to waste extra time in the store to try on an outfit, put it back if it doesn't fit, and find another piece that does fit my body. It's too time consuming. In recent months, I have tried on clothes while I'm inside of the department store. I don't like wasting gas for an unnecessary trip back to the same location to return the clothing. I don't try on clothes too often. For the most part, I have a good eye and know when something will fit me. Overall, if I have the time, then I'll try on the clothes while I'm in the store.

7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I only try on clothes before buying them when they do not fall under the "one size fits all category". For instance, I try on pants because I do not want to waste my money by just guessing the measurements. Also, I do not try on clothes when there are too many people in line at the dressing rooms.

8. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I always try to try on something before I buy it. It may be tedious and take a lot of time, but I'd much rather waste the time in a dressing room than to waste gas money returning to the store to get a refund on ill-fitting clothing. Sometimes I'm pretty tired and want to get out of the store as quickly as possible and return home to rest, but when I think about the extra hassle it'll be to return it I typically end up staying.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Cheaper clothing items, like t-shirts, I never try on before buying. I got pretty good at judging the measures by eye so it's a safe purchase. For more expensive items, like pants or jackets, I made it a habit to try before I buy. It's not wise to spend a healthy sum on something that doesn't fit. On the other hand, second-hand clothes I never try on - they need a wash first anyway and they're pretty cheap (so if they don't fit, no biggie).

10. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer to try on my clothes before I purchase anything as I am never sure whether it would fit me thoroughly. I think it is a great idea to try things out even though the queue is way too long. It is just a waste of time if I have to come back next day to exchange it.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I sometimes don't try out the clothes I'm buying and on some occasions this has happened to me as well, although not really all that much. Most of the time I get it right so I just continue on with my method. The only things I don't like guessing sizes for is shoes and pants, so when it comes to those I usually do try them on first before buying but for shirts I usually just eyeball it.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, but there are more times that I just take it and pay for it, without double checking on the possible unnoticed damages and fitting it, because I am always in a hurry, and I often find trying out really time-consuming, but I know that it would be more time-consuming if there's a glitch and I would have to bring it back to the shop. Sometimes, when I am not confident, I really check it if it looks good on me. It depends, but most of the time, I would rather take and pay for it.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do fit the clothes that I intend to buy just to be sure that it's the right size for me. The technique is to buy during off-peak hours like the weekdays so that there are no lines in the fitting room. When I buy clothes online, mostly pants, I just ask the seller to measure the waist laid flat in inches to be sure that it's my size.

14. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I always try on my clothes before I buy them. I have to see how it looks on me and if it fits the way I want it to. It would just cost extra gas if I waited until I get home to try my clothes on and if it don't fit I would have to bring it back.

15. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the garment. Some thing I can tell just by looking that it will be fine. Work shirts are like that, I just need a polo that is the right width, the rest is unimportant. Other things I do have to try on to see if they actually fit. I'm not a big fan of trying on used clothes though, so I won't bother if I am pretty sure it will fit me based on looking at it. I have many years of sewing experience, so I can kind of eyeball something and know if the measurements are good for me.

16. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I do some of the time, just because sometimes I'd rather wait for the changing rooms and deal with that than deal with the hassle of getting home only to realize it doesn't fit right or look right on me and need to make an extra trip just to return it. But there are a few occasions where I'll skip it altogether.

17. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends. If it's a store I haven't shopped from or a brand I'm unfamiliar with, I'll try it on to make sure it fits, but otherwise I don't bother because I know it will fit. I usually do end up trying things on though, because I'm shaped differently from a lot of women and clothes fit me very differently most of the time.

18. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't try clothes on before buying them. Usually I buy secondhand so I'd never try them on before they're washed. But I'm good at picking the right size for me and even if it's the wrong size there's a sewing machine at home and someone who's good with the thing visits me occasionally and I can request her to resize any clothes that might be too large.

19. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I don't bother trying on clothing before I buy it. I figure as long as it's my size, it'll fit me fine enough. The hassle of having to change out of my clothing to try on a piece of clothing and then get back dressed again and like you said have to wait in line, I'd rather not do that. And the best thing about it is that when I head home and try my clothes on, it fits great. Sometimes it may not be exactly the way I want it to fit but it fits.

20. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Different brands have different measurement fr sizes. For example, if you are going to buy a Levis jeans, you'll notice that they have relatively big measurement for waist sizes than other brands. That's why I have to try clothes before even considering buying it. If it looks good on me, I am going to consider buying it.