Do you try to keep up with your neighbors?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Jun 11, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's easy to get jealous when you see your neighbors extend their house, do some fancy landscaping, etc. Most people get tempted to outdo their neighbors especially if they occupy the same the same socio-economic stratum. This would get you spending money which you never intended to, " to keep up with the Joneses."

Have you ever been tempted to do something like this?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I don't, it is not necessary at all for me and I don't have a big monthly earning to keep up with neighbours.

But some of my family members really have this attitude and it is tiring listening and watching them that way :( They start panicking when some neighbours extended or renovated their house, sold their smaller cars and get 4X4, had a crazily expensive party, or bought a dress from the most expensive brand.

They spend a lot of money just for that sake and seem all satisfied but for me, to live life this way is just sad and crazy.

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I don't, I honestly don't even think about it, but my fiance cares very much and it causes many arguments. Currently we live in a luxury 1 bedroom/1.5 bathroom apartment in the city. It's a lovely apartment that is exactly what we need, his friend and wife are moving into a 2 bedroom apartment with a balcony and how he's rushing around trying to see if we can move too and it is driving me crazy. With a house, apartment, camp ground, whatever I think people should only do what they want and can afford.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I have never been one to try to keep up with the neighbors. I am grateful for that. I do have family members who drive themselves to edge of bankruptcy trying to keep up. Then they get upset with me because I'm not interested in that type of thing. I sleep better being thrifty and having access to money if an emergency arises.