Do You Try To Recreate Restaurant Dishes At Home To Save Money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ke Gordon • Sep 9, 2017.

1. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I know how to make fries as crispy as the ones from restaurants. First you have to rinse them in cold water to get rid of starch and you have to air dry them. Reducing the starch will make it crispier. 2nd you have to fry the potato twice. When the potato is half cooked, Air dry them again in a wire wrack then fry them again.

2. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I never thought about saving money but yes I have tried it many times. In fact I am not good in cooking so I have tried it with some other person, so that I can be helpful to them. Eating outside frequently is not good for health and it can be costly too. So yes making such dishes to home can be really helpful. We can enjoy the same food at home and yes we can save good money too.

3. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    All the time, although I think that I have given up on "recreating" just because I know it never tastes the same, but copying or drawing off of, this I do quite often. You would think some meat and bread would be easy to recreate, but not so much from certain places.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I generally do not try to do that since I do not consider myself a good cook. I can cook all right but my wife thinks she owns the kitchen and if I enter in the kitchen I will mess up things. However, I have tried cooking one of my favorite dish "Gobhi Manchurian" (Cauliflower Manchurian) time and again and although it was not the exact match but I feel I cook it better than the best cooks anywhere in the world LOL. :)

5. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Ha ha.. Whatever we made, we should be proud of that. I feel like king of the world even if I make really simple dish. Lol. I am bad in cooking but I love it. So Manchurian , I guess its not an easy dish. So you did good job for sure.

As I am not good cook at all, I try to help my wife for re creating such stuff. She thinks the same that I can mess up kitchen in no time, So I only be happy in helping. Lol

6. ACEP

ACEPMember

Threads:
    There was a moment that I realized that living in the city had permanently skewed my perceptions of what people should pay for food. Even though I'm incredibly frugal at the grocery store, I'm often lured into shelling out at every new restaurant that I have to try- and there is always another one.

Fortunately, working in food media means being surrounded by people creative and motivated enough to recreate some of the most acclaimed restaurant's recipes. I've pulled together a few of my favorites -- you'll save money, won't have to wait for a table, and eat them in a privacy of your home.

7. annitha

annithaActive Member

Threads:
    I done this before and it turned out that I have a better deal if I go to the restaurant, because it is cheaper.
    This is due to a fact that if I go in the restaurant, I don't go to eat plain things which I can broil at home.
    But, if I could make the same dish, I would do it at home because it tastes better.

8. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I guess it would depend on what it was, to decided whether or not I'd save money. If I have to go out and buy a bunch of new ingredients rather than using stuff I already have, it might not be such a frugal venture (unless I could find some good coupons or something). It could still be cheaper than going out to eat, but I'd have to figure out the cost of each and compare.

I have tried doing this a few times, more for convenience. We don't have a lot of good restaurants in our area, so sometimes, it's better to try to make something at home. That saves money, because I'm not spending it on an expensive meal that won't be that great. I'd rather have a "substitute" item at home.

9. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have created some of the YouTube recipes and saved money. I have avoided use of the oil and the excessive cheese this way. Lot of healthy dishes are being shared on YouTube. And it helps you understand how that can be good enough in many ways. I think dishes are different on the TV and the YouTube. So i think the cost that goes into it may be different. I am not sure how that works out in many ways but it is good enough.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That kind of sounds like a lot of trouble. When I do make fried potatoes at home I usually just oven bake them. Some of the oven baked fries are pretty good as well. I rarely make homemade fried potatoes at home, if I do..I think they are better than the ones at the FF places.

11. Chinesemom

ChinesemomNew Member

Threads:
    I agree. I think that if you want it often or when it pops up, you should buy some ingredients to make it at home. It is definitely a lot cheaper as an option compare to buying it from restaurants and stores. In fact, just a few days ago or so, my hun made fried mozzerella sticks. They were good. He is a very good cook despite that he is 9 years younger than me. Someday will cook up what I said I want to make for him to see if he would like it or not. Haven't had it for a long while.

12. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    no i don't prefer because we can't brign that taste to our dishes whatever we try and i hate cooking. :(

13. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    I tried to create some of the popular dishes at home, but was rarely able to match the quality and taste of restaurant dishes. I have followed different recipes in books, magazine, TV and websites, but not able to reach that level. My eating out has reduced considerably as I want to save money for the future. Before I used to eat at a restaurant every 4-5 days. Now I have reduced it to every 14-15 days. I still keep on trying to recreate restaurant dishes at home.

14. Rowzers

RowzersNew Member

Threads:
    I do! In fact, most of the time it turns out perfectly. Though I'm stuck for two recipes now.

1. Thai sauce from Johnny's steamboat.
    2. Garlic Soy Chicken from Kyo Chon.

I've made some famous amos cookies before with a recipe I found on the internet and I also made KFC's cheesy wedges.

If only I could say I'm doing this to save money. Truth is, I just don't like eating out as much. Once a week's fine, no more than that though.

15. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, we are going out once a week to eating at a restaurant. We are going out only to have fun and change the environment around us, but in the rest of the time, my wife is trying all kind of cheap recipes to save money. In this way, we can go out every week!