Do You Try to Save Electricity?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by nwitt • Apr 9, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    While we likely would all like to save on the electric bill, I'm curious what methods you're using to actually do so. The last couple of months, we've really gone out of our way to make sure that all light switches are off before leaving The House. I also shut down and unplug my laptop, which I used to just leave on or put on sleep.

Do you have any other techniques that you'd like to share?

The other thing I need to work on is my fan. Every night, I sleep with a box fan (even in the winter) because of the noise it makes. I am thinking that if I invest in a noise machine that makes fan noises, I will be able to save a lot of money!

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do try saving here and there on electricity since over a long period of time you can feel the money adding up. In winter, depending on what I cook, I tun off my refrigerator and place all the food on the balcony where it's already cold. At night, I don't keep the light on if watching TV or browsing the net, there's no point. When I go out I always make sure to stop my desktop PC, laptop, TV and radio. I really don't know how much money I save by doing this but I'll keep on doing it :)

3. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    Absolutely! We went a few months without really paying attention to how much electricity we were using and it lead to A LOT of money being spent that we didn't make room for haha. We do a pretty good job at monitoring our electricity usage now.

4. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I do try to save on electricity.

I think it makes a major difference in my bill each month. I started by buying those energy saving light bulbs. I replaced every light bulb in my house with the. I also so turn off any light, and unplug any device that is not currently being used.

I have also got in to the habit of turning off the switches in breaker box when i am not at home.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, in fact I just brace myself for the summer months and understand that my electric bills are going to be through the roof. I cannot stand warm weather, so I run my central air at full blast all summer long. I've been living in apartments though, so at least I'm not trying to cool a whole house, but even still, $180 per month electric bill during the summer months is still rather high for me. In the winter my electric bills are usually under $40. The other way I justify the higher bills is that in the winter time, I barely run my heat so my gas bill never gets high. The lights around my place, as well as running my oven and dishwasher give off enough heat to keep my place comfortable.

I do have all my lights replace with energy saver bulbs though, so that helps a bit.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Since you've started actively trying to shut off lights, your laptop, etc, did you actually notice a difference in your bill?

For me, the only time I can ever really tell a difference is when I'm being extra-aware of my air conditioner or heater usage. The rest doesn't seem to make a big difference, to be honest. :(

7. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    We did notice some difference. But I was leaving mine on ALL the time. My husband also has a laptop and often left his on sleep. Additionally, without even thinking about it, we sometimes left the gaming console on. It really can all add up!!

8. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I live in an apartment and heating and hot water are included in my rent. This keeps my electricity consumption fairly low. I am in the habit of turning off lights when I go out and if I am going to be away for more than a night or two, I unplug the power bars to my computer and accessories as well as the one for my TV and all those electronic gadgets. I don't think it makes a huge difference but it does help. I currently use all compact fluorescent bulbs.

One thing that does save electricity - though nobody does it regularly - is to clear the dust from the back of the refrigerator. It is on 24/7 and increasing its efficiency by only a small percentage will add up and reduce the amount of heat it kicks out if you are warm in the Summer.