Do You Turn Off Your Lights?

Discussion in Utilities started by SLTE • Oct 23, 2015.

1. legeipslt

legeipsltMember

Threads:
    All my lights are off at night also, because I watch TV at night, or I'm online and the light from the TV or computer doesn't shine through a window. I do keep a hall light on, for safety reasons, until I go to sleep. My house looks like no one is home.

I have double pane windows with darkening sunscreens, plus the PVC blinds makes it look dead inside the house at night.

2. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I hardly ever turn off lights at my home. I certainly would never do it another's home. :) I researched the cost of running a 100 watt light bulb for 24 hours 365 days a year once. I don't remember what the cost was but it was small enough that I can feed my fear of being afraid of the dark. The only time there are no lights on in my house is when my boyfriend comes to stay. He won't feed my fear and if I have to get up in the middle of the night he can come with me.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I do, but really when you use CFL/LED they use so little that it doesn't even matter that much. I suppose it will lose pennies though, so still best to turn them off.

4. bigsumm22

bigsumm22New Member

Threads:
    Lights left on drive me crazy, I hate coming around the corner to see my family sitting with every light turned on! I feel like I'm constantly walking around turning lights off behind everyone. I'm not sure I would say it has made a huge difference in my electric bill, in all honesty, it just bugs me to know that we are sitting in a house with every light turned on. Also, same goes for when we leave to go somewhere, even if we will only be gone for a short while. Before we leave the house, I make everyone do a "light" check to make sure we didn't leave any lights on or else it will bug me thinking about it while I'm away from the house.

5. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I care a lot! I am a very thrifty person and expensive monthly bills really get my head aching. So if possible, I maintain electric and water use to a minimum level by always conserving and not wasting energy. I always remind people in the house to turn off the lights and unplug wires of appliances that are not in use. Water used for washing the dishes are collected and used to water the plants. High electric consumption appliances like air-conditioner and refrigerator are monitored to use at the lowest temperature to reduce its power consumption.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am also mindful of the lights being turned on or off and whether it is being used or not, although sometimes I leave the light on even if no one is using it just so that it won't be that "creepy" when it is pitch black in a certain room. Good thing the light bulbs nowadays are energy saving as compared to before. We used a ring light that consumes 32 watts in all of our rooms, so when our house got renovated we changed the light bulbs too.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I, like Sidney above, am very mindful of light usage, as well as what is plugged into the mains in the wall, and what is not, because apparently, even if something is not switched on or being use, being plugged in will still increase your bills. So when leave a room, even if it is for a small period of time, I will plug things out and turn off the lights.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I do turn off lights when not in use. One of the things I really don't like seeing is having the light on when just merely watching television. This so unnecessary because the light has no effect on the broadcast.Turning off the lights when it's not required will definitely shave a few dollars of your electricity bill, which could do something useful.

9. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    My dad used to be just the same way you are!!!

And precisely because he was that way and I hated to get him turning off my lights, I have the tendency to do exactly the opposite; I get back home and turn on the lights, including those in the rooms I am not, and many times, when leaving, I leave one or two lights turned on.

And the electricity bill? Well, I pay a rent that includes the price for my power consumption, which is a fixed amount whether I have low electricity consumption or high. So that, I think to have the right to turn on the lights that way.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, you should always unplug and turn off everything that isn't being used. Even though they might not cost all that much to power on their own, when you add them all up you will find that it costs you a lot over the course of the year, which you could spend on something better, or just save for another occasion. Never underestimate the pennies that you could save on the little things, as they really do all add up and make the pounds.

11. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I am also an energy saving kind of person that's why I always make sure that all the lights are turned off when nobody is using them and I also unplug all appliances that are not being used. I just hate wasting anything including energy so I make it a point to always conserve the energy we use at home. The savings part may be small but at least I know I'm also contributing to preservation of energy in our community. :)

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I turn off the lights for both economical and personal reasons. We're still using a few fluorescent at home because the transition to LED is quite costly. We have to do it slow and make sure we have enough budget for installing a new set of LED lights. Personally, it's more convenient to sleep without lights. Lights can be disturbing and they induce migraine.

13. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes leave a particular light on at night. I live in a rural setting, and you need to have some lighting in case someone or something starts pacing outside my home or in the backyard.

14. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I make sure lights are turned off too. I also unplug lamp in our living room when we get ready for bed and I also make sure my kids unplug the microwave when it isn't in use. Unplugging things might seem extreme for some, but it saves our family money and that's all that matters.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I was little that I never used to take the lights off after leaving, or being finished with, a room. We weren't poor or anything like that, but my mother was very anal about us turning the lights off after being finished with it, and not wasting electricity. So that has stayed with me in adulthood, and I always turn all lights off, including lamps. I plug them out too.

16. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I have the lights on only when I need them in the first place. If I don't need a light on then I don't have a light on. Unfortunately some of the people that live in the same household don't share the same mentality and leave lights on all day if they can even when it's light outside and there's absolutely no reason to have the lights on so I'm forever going around behind them turning the lights off. I hate the wasted energy and the added cost that comes from leaving them on.

17. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I switched all my lights to LED last year so I'm not as worried about it as I would have been in the past. Even then, it's become a habit of sorts to turn them off when not in use or to double check if I think I may have forgotten to. I also tend to look at other energy efficient products or powerbars you can shut off entirely.

Lately though, I've been looking at my water usage and been trying to tone that down.

18. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do turn off lights that are not being used. If no-one is in the room, then electricity is only being wasted. The light in the kitchen is usually kept on for most of the night though, since we are usually in and out of the kitchen. When everyone has gone to bed, then that light would be turned off. It often happens that the TV in the drawing room is on even when no-one is watching it. So that is turned off as well at these times. We once used to keep a couple lights on the outside of the house on at night, but now that we have street lights in the neighbourhood, we no longer do that.

Keeping lights turned off that are not in use is definitely an energy saver.

19. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I always turn off the light in my room, but sometimes I forget to turn off the bathroom one. I have encouraged other members of my family to turn off the lights more, but often they don't pay a lot of attention. Definitely, I don't see the need in having the lights on 24/7 unless your running some 24/7 business.

20. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    When I am not in home, I switch off the light and disconnect any electrical devices that are running, except fridge of course. At night when I am ready to sleep, I switch all the lights except the one on the porch.