Do you turn your computer off at night?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Strykstar • Apr 10, 2014.

1. Steverd

SteverdMember

Threads:
    YES, I turn my desktop off at night. I have one of those huge towers, with FIVE hard drives, lastest Video card, Water cooled CPU etc.
    This beast can heat my computer room in the Winter. So yes, it gets turn off at night. THink of a light bulb, do you leave it turned on all night and lets say
    the bulb will last 1000 hours, so you would cut it's life in half by leaving on all of the time. I feel this say about my computer and it's hard drives inside (ESPECIALLY Hard drives).
    They have a limited number of days of life, so turn them off at night.

2. Rusky

RuskyMember

Threads:
    Usually not, no. I've set up some routines that make me money while I sleep, so it's best to leave them running. I don't pay for the electricity, so that isn't a concern. The money isn't exactly going to break the bank, but it's a little more every day.

3. HeinrichM

HeinrichMNew Member

Threads:
    It all depend on what I am busy with. If I have a lot of work to do I do not turn the laptop off and rather just start-off where I left the next morning. My laptop does go into sleep mode and do not use a lot of energy. Luckily my laptop is in my study and it does not disturb my sleep if left on.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to turn my computer off every single night because I was scared it would break it I didn't. But after my brother not turning his off for many years with no consequences, I started only shutting the lid off my laptop and taking it off power. It makes it hibernate, so I think that is the best option, since it doesn't waste energy and it's easy to turn o again.

5. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I turn my computer off at night but I leave it plugged in so it still charges. I know a lot of people tell me I don't need to turn it off every night, I only need to turn it off a few times per week, but for the most part my computer's outlive their computers!

6. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I put my laptop in hibernate mode but turn off my desktop at night. The laptop takes a long time to boot up and it's faster to just put it in hibernate. Besides, I usually leave it plugged in, so it's not draining the battery when it's hibernating. I don't use the desktop every day so I usually turn it off.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I feel better turning it off at night. It's just a routine and not only the noise disrupts your sleep but the littlest amount of light from leaving it on can bother me too. Some nights I have to leave it on though to do scans as I try to scan regularly to make sure nothing nasty got in there.

8. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I keep it off at night unless I'm doing something important such as downloading a large torrent or something running that generates money. Generally keeping it off is a smart idea. You save electricity and your computer's livespan will be much longer, especially if you're using a laptop like me.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have my laptop on pretty much all day, expect when I go to bed and then the poor thing gets to have a little nap itself. My father has this sixth sense when a TV or computer is on and he hates things like that being on all night and he would soon be in my room causing a scene about it, not that I wouldn't hear him banging and crashing his wheelchair intto walls as he comes down the hall to investigate :)

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I always turn my PC off every night and every time I'm not using it. You won't believe how much you can save on electricity if you just make it a habit to turn off, not only your PC but pretty much everything in the house that is not being used.

11. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do. I also shut if off whenever I'm not using it for more than an hour. The PC actually works more efficiently if it is shut off once in a while because it resets and flushes out the cached memories. Also keeps the parts working longer because they get to cool down. Besides, I also get to save on resources and my electricity bill.

12. Richiee

RichieeNew Member

Threads:
    I also turn off my laptop before I go to sleep. I'm not really comfortable with appliances that are turned on while I'm sleeping because the pessimist in me always thinks that some of my appliances may cause a spark which turns into fire.

I'm also a huge energy saving freak and I just don't feel comfortable when I'm wasting electricity. However, there are still times when I leave my laptop on for two days. Those instances are when I'm usually on a studying marathon. I only sleep for an hour or two during those times because I have to cram every information on my head (yeah, student problems)

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I could turn off the DVR completely. I'm sure it's off if I hit the power button but it seems like a lost cause. Why bother making it reset if the clock won't go off? I hate it. I have to put something in front of it when I'm going to sleep because of the light and the fact I can see what time it is. I bet though if it wasn't a Comcast issued DVR the clock would go off.

14. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I leave my computer on a lot of the time as i like to charge my phone on the computer. I think that charging via usb is generally better. But if i am not charging my phone then i usually switch it off and i prefer to let my computer rest. That way i get to save my machine from getting wear and tear.

15. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I rarely turn my computer off at night. I usually just put it to sleep, close it and place it on my desk. I'm always on my computer for both personal and business reasons. I feel like if I need to hop on the computer and check something really quick, all I have to do is wake it up and put in my pass code. Don't like waiting for it to reboot.

16. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I turn off the TV, my lights and my computer before going to bed. For me it is more of a habit than an effort to save electricity. I turn off my monitor when I leave during the day but leave the computer on unless i am going to be out for several hours. Once my computer goes to sleep, I feel that it is no worse than leaving the TV plugged in overnight. As long as the hard disk isn't moving and the DVD tray isn't spinning, I don't believe there is a lot of wear and tear on the machine. The monitor also goes to sleep but I am used to older ones that don't power down well and so it gets turned off more frequently.

17. pklatonja

pklatonjaNew Member

Threads:
    I generally leave it overnight because it's a slow pc some 4 years old and I render a lot of videos, so it takes quite a while, but don't feel comfortable leaving it powered on all the time, and it's hard to sleep next to a buzzing sound.

18. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I always turn it off. It might be silly, but I feel sorry for my computer, being on all the time and always being there for me when I need it lol. I would only leave it on though, if something is downloading during the night, but I set my alarm to wake up for when its done and then I turn it off after. I know a ton of people who leave it on over night though. Doesn't it also cause the computer to over heat?

19. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't turn my computer completely off anymore while I sleep, because when it goes to sleep mode, I imagine it consumes just as much energy as a clock or at least on a similar level to it. I doubt it consumes that much energy, but I honestly don't do it for energy conservation purposes, rather just for convenience. I prefer being able to wake up my laptop and other devices immediately and I imagine current technology has already kept this in mind when it comes to the product design and mechanics, so I personally think it's just wise to take advantage of it.

20. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever turn off my laptop...ever. I always just shut the lid and let it sleep at night, rather than actually turning it off. The only time I turn it off is if I'm going away for several days at a time, which almost never happens. Restarting my computer uses so much time and energy, that it just seems better to let it hibernate.