Do you turn your computer off at night?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Strykstar • Apr 10, 2014.

1. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I always turn my laptop off when not in use. I dont see a reason why I should keep it on. It will just consume more energy and will affect the electricity bill. I think turning it off is more 'greener' way then keeping it on the entire time.

2. escottdavilla

escottdavillaNew Member

Threads:
    When computers were not as powerful, I always turned them off when not in use. Now that computers are more energy efficient I always leave my computer running. I actually think that it does not make a difference in the electric bill. I found that it makes a difference versus whether or not I turned off the device or not. I am also good so that all necessary security updates are downloaded and your computer runs more smoothly.

3. streakanime

streakanimeMember

Threads:
    My desktop is always on. Very very rarely would it be turned off. It is even kind of rare for me to reset it more than once a week. Just for updates and a needed restart. My computer is my family's main source of income though. So, I prefer to make it quick and easy for me to get to.

4. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I agree with this. I always turn it off when I go to bed. I usually turn it on after breakfast if my father hasn't already.

5. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I turn my laptop every night. I do this for two reasons. The first reason is because it saves power. The second is because it seems to run better if I turn it on fresh in the morning.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't turn it off anymore as I doubt it consumes that much energy that shutting it off each time would make a significant difference. i suspect that it does carry with it some extra electrical expenses, but I consider it a fair exchange for having a bit more convenience in not having to turn off and power on each day. Also, I think modern technology has made it a lot more efficient anyway that I find it unnecessary to worry about it. I do worry that I'm shutting my laptop down a bit too infrequently, though, since there will be some phases that I won't shut down my laptop for months, in which case, I make a conscious effort to shut it down when i feel it's been too long.

7. silentrascal

silentrascalNew Member

Threads:
    In my experience, I tend to leave my PC on all the time. Is doing that any better or worse on the electric bill than turning it off every night? I couldn't really say. I have tried turning it off nightly several times and then kept watch on my power bill to see if it had any affect on it, and it really didn't. But in theory, if you turn off your electronic equipment nightly AND unplug it from the outlet, then there will be a detectable decrease in electrical usage in the home. By leaving the off items plugged in, it still actually is using some electricity (just enough so when you hit the power button it doesn't take forever to come on). That may be an experiment worth trying for a week or a month to see the effect on the power bill.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it will be hard to detect if leaving the computer on will spend more, at least on the bill, but for me it's rather obvious than it does, it's on after all right? Also, it should not do any good to the computer as well, I mean, what's the point in leaving the computer on all night if we are not using it? It just doesn't make much sense to me that's all.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I don't know about the electricity bill but I feel better turning mine off because even computers have to sleep right? Maybe you don't have to do it every night but it just seems like a good thing to do. Plus I'm in the process of playing Sims again which takes up a lot of power.

10. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I always turn it off at night or when I'm gone for some time because I don't see why it should be running when I'm not using it. But there's also some exceptions to that. For example when I want to download something and that download would take more than an hour I just wait until I go to sleep and start the download then, because I don't want to have a slow connection just because of a download that can wait until the night.

11. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure but I play it safe and always turn off my computer when I am not using it. I notice when I leave it on and I'm not at the computer for a period of time, there is a change in the performance of the laptop. It tends to go slower and freezes on me. It's probably due to the fact I had the laptop for a long time. In the end, I follow protocol and turn it off when I am not using it.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep my laptop on constantly. It's not using that much energy, and it's a hassle turning it back on every morning. I'm constantly using it for work, so I see no reason to turn it off regularly. Plus, it's going to die sooner rather than later, and when it does, then I'll finally be forced to buy a new one that works better.