Do you unplug electronics & appliances when they are not in use?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by smlewis00 • Jan 9, 2014.

1. smlewis00

smlewis00Member

Threads:
    Do you unplug electronics and appliances when they are not in use? I found a list of appliances that is suggested to be unplugged when you aren't using them. The link is:

This is a direct quote from the article:
    "The average U.S. household spends about $1,900 a year on energy costs, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. And the DOE says that anywhere from 5% to 10% of your residential electricity is sapped by devices that are plugged in 24 hours a day."
    I was very surprised to read that 5% to 10% is from devices that we leave plugged in! I am going to work much harder to unplug all the electronics and appliances that my family is not using! I used to be really good about unplugging things, but I slowly stopped. I think I certainly need to be more cautious! What about you? Do you unplug electronics & appliances when they are not in use?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was kind of depressed to realize that I have all these things and don't unplug any of them. I thought that just turning them off was enough. I do turn off the power strip that some of my appliances are plugged into, but I could probably be doing more to conserve energy.

3. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I don't unplug all the electronics and appliances when not in use because I have heard you are supposed to unplug all when not in use except the refrigerator. I think the reason for that is to save electricity because they still use power although I don't technically use them. It is good to know all the information about this.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had no idea that an turned off appliance still consumes some electricity. Of course there are times I flick the main switch off which I guess is almost as good as unplugging the appliance. But after reading this, starting now, I'll make it a habit to unplug all appliances which are not in use and hopefully save some money.

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I never knew that not switching on the power at all can still consume power when electicals are plugged in. I never unplug any of them unless I don't need it anymore. I always just switch of the power outlet whenever I'm done using anything. I'm more worried about constant unplugging and replugging will damage the sockets faster.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I started to 'partially' do this a few months ago. I noticed that my electric bill isn't as high. It's just hard for me to get into this habit on a daily basis.

7. LALucien

LALucienNew Member

Threads:
    No, I don't unplug them unless, I think a particular appliance or plug is a little dodgy and might start a fire if left in due to some freak spark or short but, I do generally turn all the switches off before I leave the house.

MeltedPlug_w.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I am also very surprised that $95-$190 per year is being used in appliances that are on 24/7. The refrigerator is the only thing that comes to mind, but then that is essential to have on 24/7. I don't personally unplug everything. I take most things off standby but even then I think modern appliances use very little in standby mode.

9. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I never new that even if you switch the appliances off it still consume energy. That explains why when Im gone from home working sometimes like months my bill is still high like im there. I guess I will try unplug everything but the refrigerator. Wow thanks for the information, You would think that energy of Louisiana would mention this as a tip to there customers.

10. 4justice

4justiceNew Member

Threads:
    I didn't do that before, but now maybe I'll start doing that. I didn't know that they took energy even when they're off. I mean, sure I knew things like game systems and TV sets do that when they're on standby or anything that shows a digital timer. But I didn't know all appliances did that.

11. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I have wanted to do that for a while. I heard about that on Oprah years ago. I very much would like to keep all appliances unplugged when not in use, but my boyfriend won't let that happen. He is lazy and doesn't want to plug everything back in when he wants to use something.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't unplug electronic items when they're not in use, although my other family members do it occasionally, but not all the time. I think that we should try to do that more often to be able to save up on money and energy, eventhough plugging and unplugging can be quite a hassle.

13. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    That is interesting and something that I didn't realize, either. I'm trying to grasp the concept as to how they can still be using electricity if they're not plugged, although I have heard of coffee pots catching fire if they're left plugged in so maybe it has something to do with power surges passing through the outlets.

14. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    I typically don't unplug electronics when they are not in use. I have considered getting a "smart" surge protector that shuts off the electronic current when the device isn't on, but they are a bit pricey and I can't really justify that investment right now.

15. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is what of the easiest methods to help nature survive under our urban massive effects:D
    During night, I even disconnect my wifi router, to make sure it sleeps too. In addition I try to use rarely the hair dryer or the fryer, there are so many devices in our homes, that you don`t need all the time

16. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a very neat freak and so I prefer keeping everything organized when they are not in use, and that involves making sure that electronics are not plugged in. I really believe that it's not good for them to be bathing on electricity when they are not in use. Also, I heard of a lot of incidents of fire which are caused by electronics which are constantly plugged. When they get into a short circuit and you are not there to immediately resolve it, that is very dangerous and I don't think I will risk that.

17. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    This is one of the things that my mother nags me over and over but I never listened. I knew this for a long time as she always tells and reminds me but it is just difficult to get myself in habit to unplug appliances when I don't need them.

I just simply turn them off and leave them there forever but since the electricity cost is going up nowadays, I think I really should listen and unplug everything that I do not need.

18. hnatalieann

hnatalieannNew Member

Threads:
    I do most of the time, but no one else in this house does. It drives me crazy and I tell them to, but no one listens!

19. Dola1991

Dola1991New Member

Threads:
    The answer is no. I would if my duplex wasn't all bills paid. I'm quite sure it drives up the electricity bill. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that.

20. Tiara Murphy

Tiara MurphyNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks so much for the list! I do unplug things like our washer and microwave when they aren't in use, but that's a really great list for me to go start unplugging now!