Do you unplug electronics & appliances when they are not in use?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by smlewis00 • Jan 9, 2014.

1. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of appliances yes. TV, washing machine, computer, microwave I unplug before I go to sleep. It is known that even if the device is not powered on, if it is plugged in to an outlet , electricity is used (as small as it may be). This adds up though as days become years.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been unplugging devices but it's summer and I'm starting to see my electric bill slowly creep up and get a few dollars higher, so I think I am going to start unplugging things when not in use because I don't like the increase that I'm starting to see in my electric bill. I don't even use air conditioning but I'm sure the fan is part of the problem.

3. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    No I haven't been unplugging appliances at all. I think It's a really good idea. The only thing I have been unplugging for about 6 mths now is my computer at home. It's in my bedroom and it generates heat in the summer time. I have been turning it off, along with my speakers and printer. I think one can save a lot of energy if you turn off appliances and unplug them.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't unplug any of my appliances, but I'll make sure they're turned off otherwise. I don't mind if they use small amounts of electricity just being plugged in. I can still handle my electricity bill, but I'm not going to leave a light on for no reason or leave a fan on while I'm not at home. That's too much of a waste for me to deal with by way of increased expenses.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't because I find it a bit inconvenient to have to plug an appliance before use, and I just consider the extra expense I'm paying to be an expense for a little more convenience. I don't have that many appliances anyway, so I doubt I'm paying that much more, but I guess I'll at least consider just buying a switcher so I'll have the best of both worlds. Thanks for the tip!

6. thymeless

thymelessNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do. In these days, the bills get higher and higher, it's not that I'm paranoid whatsoever. It's better to have precaution than fighting with bankruptcy thereafter, right? :)