Do you use a budget for Christmas shopping?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by jleadbet • Nov 16, 2012.

1. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I've had to start using a budget the past few years for Christmas shopping. I have to say its helped me simplify the gift giving process and keeps me from overspending. I start my shopping in November and often I'd forget how much I already bought. The budget helps me keep an inventory of who I'm done shopping for.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have to use a budget for Christmas shopping or else I overspend way too easily. I also try to have certain gifts already planned out before I hit the stores so I am not sidetracked into buying something else instead. I also compare prices online to see who has the best prices on the items I am looking for, then go to the local stores to pick them up. Doing this allows me to get in and out real quick so I don't overspend on stuff I wasn't planning on getting.

3. dgb1975

dgb1975New Member

Threads:
    We have 4 children so it is a must for us to use a budget, if not we would end up overspending. Whats funny is that the older children always want the expensive things and the younger ones are easy to please. So on Christmas morning the younger ones have lots of packages to open and the older one complains about having only a few.

4. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    yes , we have to, otherwise I don't know how we would do it. Everything is so expensive now, and I love the layaways, they help out a lot!

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I definitely do use a budget for Christmas shopping. I never used to but I noticed that I could easily overspend on Christmas shopping...and in fact, did and so very quickly devised a budget for it. This made it a much more pleasurable and care-free experience. I still have to start my Christmas shopping for this year but my budget is already drawn up, lol.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have started to budget around October. I usually use coupons and gift cards to get my shopping done so if I don't have either then I don't buy an item. The only exception is if I know that I won't be able to get it any where else and it's something that I know the recipient would absolutely love. I have to shop for 10 people this year and so far I have only found gifts for 3. I feel so behind.

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I think its kind of important to budget yourself when it comes to Christmas shopping. Otherwise you can end up spending more then you intended to. I tend to tell myself this is how much I am willing to spend on each person, and put a limit there. This helps me to stay within my budget and not spend more money then I should be spending.

8. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    I don't have very much cash, so I spend until I'm broke :eek: I guess you could say I'm budgeting with no choice in the matter. I used to buy gifts for everybody and their dog, but now I just focus on my immediate family. It's much cheaper this way, even though I'm not the hero anymore :(

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yes and no. I have a general idea in mind, but realistically, I know that I sometimes go over that and I'm okay with it. So long as I don't go so far overboard that I put myself into debt or regret it, then it's all in the holiday spirit. I tend to buy gifts that will last a really long time, too, so I can count them more like investments at times.

10. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't set myself a budget for my Christmas shopping list but I had an idea on how much money I was willing to spend.

I only had to buy 2 presents, for my mum, dad and girlfriend. I didn't spend a lot on the presents but I'm sure they will appreciate it.

11. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    If you mean a hard budget, then no. I have a usually have a vague idea of what I will spend, but I don't keep to any sort of limit. Then again, I usually don't spend much anyways as I just try to find the cheapest price or a similar product with a lower price.

12. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I try to use a budget but it's so hard. I love to give gifts so it's hard for me to stop shopping.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do have a budget, I set how much I am going to spend for the season then, how much for each person. I may have to revise my budget several times if I do not have a realistic idea of how much something cost and if I see something ideal. But I still try to stay within a certain amount.

14. herbalsister

herbalsisterNew Member

Threads:
    Last Christmas I found an app for my phone for creating Christmas lists and budgets. I was able to put in gift ideas and budgets for each person. It certainly helped me stay within a budget for the first time ever. I just recently pulled it up again to get started for this year.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I have an allotted budget for Christmas shopping, because if I don't have one then it would be a disadvantage if you just buy and buy without knowing your limits, and then you would probably touch the money that's allotted for food, bills, etc. and you would be in debt. So I think that everyone should have a budget every time they shop.

16. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I budget every single Christmas - why wouldn't someone do that? It's still your money, and you can't spend more than what you have (even in the case of credit cards - you eventually have to pay that back).

I make a list every year for shopping, and it includes a budget. I set a specific price for my overall spending, and then I list all the names of the recipients. I continue to write down the list of items I'd like to buy them, and then I try to fit in the expenses where they can fit. If something is too expensive, I'll chop it off the list. If things are inexpensive, I might buy that same person a little something extra at the end of my trip.

17. thestoryteller1

thestoryteller1New Member

Threads:
    I wish...usually by the time Christmas comes, I barely have enough money at all, so I spend my time before Christmas juggling between spending what I can on some gifts, and figuring out creative things to do for the rest of the gifts.

18. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Always. If I don't, I can easily spend well over $200 per PERSON if I don't have a budget for myself. When I buy something though and it's a big-ticket item, I usually see if family and or the friends of whoever I'm getting it for wants to pitch in and we can all get a card and sign it, kinda as a joint gift. That way it's cheaper for everyone and we can pitch in to get something big.

Otherwise, for my friends I usually limit myself to anywhere between $20-$30 per person. Or I just bake them stuff, they always like that too :)

19. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    For the longest time, 25+ years, my family never used a budget. The past few years we started to, we can now spend no more than $100 per person, so that is kind of a budget. Generally we go over a little bit but I think have thing $100 in our minds forces us to focus on the price a little more.

20. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never have a budget for Christmas because I hardly ever do any shopping around Christmas time. I buy all my gifts early in the year so with the need to buy toys brushed out of the way there's no need to spend cash.

And since lots of people [or relatives if you like] come over to spend the holidays with me, they do all the other shopping. They get free accommodation from me after all.