Do You Use A Calculator While Shopping Offline?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by luckycharm • Nov 15, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I haven’t tried it yet but I think it is a good idea to carry a calculator or mobile to add up the prices. It can save you from over spending. I always end up spending more than my budget. Nowadays as everybody carries a mobile phone with calculator it would not be a difficult task to do I think.

How do you ensure that total cost doesn’t exceed your expectations? Do you take help of your smartphone while shopping?

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I do compute the total cost of the items that I'm gonna buy using my phone's calculator so that I won't exceed my budget. I usually do that when I'm in the supermarket. But if I'm buying one or two items especially in a department store or gadgets store, then I usually don't feel the compute because I more or less know how much the item is gonna cost me.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I do some calculations before setting out to shop offline. I would first make a list of all the items I need to buy. If I don't draft the list, believe me I am most likely going to forget one or two. Then add up the estimated cost and see if my money would cover all I have to buy. If the total cost exceed my money I'd cut down on the quantities or the number of items I have to purchase.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I usually do calculations in my head, to get an estimate at least. I am always off by a few cents which is okay so I really don't need a calculator for the amount I buy, I would need one if the amounts are higher or if their are way too many items.

5. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I have a very strict budget sometimes I only have a hundred dollars for groceries a month. So I carry a calculator always when I go shopping, its just a small dollar calculator. I do not have a smart/cell phone so I just make sure to have my list, with the sales prices and location wrote by the item and any coupons I might have, a pen and the calculator. My husband usually calculates the price as I grab the item and put it in the cart.

6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I usually bring a shopping list so I'll know beforehand how much money to bring when shopping. If there are fluctuations in prices, I can mentally calculate its effect on my budget and just make the adjustment right then and there. If I stick to the list, it would be very easy to manage purchases that are beyond my original budget. I always leave room for special sales of items that we use regularly such as toothpaste or shampoo.

7. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't carry a calculator when I am shopping offline. However, I always calculate on the calculator app on my mobile phone when I am shopping. When I am shopping, I set a fixed amount and I always buy things that will not exceed my budget.

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I usually pre-estimate through list making so that I know my limits for spending and also not to run out of cash and save myself the embarrassement.

I use calculator only when I buy a lot of stuff and I see that the total is correctly calculated. Or when I buy precious metals. I like to know how things are being calculated.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    That's the more reason I use calculator when I go shopping because the amount I buy are large. I do not shop all the time to save my time for other activities. I would skip stuffs and run a wrong summation if I do not use the calculator.

10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually I do not use a calculator in most cases because most of the reputed stores use computing system and issue a bill for all your shopping. In case I am buying from a local grocery shop most of these shopkeepers use a calculator. I always a keep their list unless I have rechecked their total and rates either at the shop itself or when I am back home.

11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I do use calculator together with my shopping list app most of the time. It helps me to shop easily as well as not to go beyond our budget. Whenever I go to the grocery store without any calculator or a list, I end up overspending which I totally avoid. That's why summing up the total amount of your items can really help you not to overspend.

12. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    When I go to buy many items I always use, there's no way I can't use it. I always like to know exactly what amount I intend to spend (especially if I'm buying on some credit card). Keeping the track of finances is always something healthy for our pocket, right? :D

13. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I carry a calculator in my bag. I compare prices with my calculator. Which is cheaper by the oz. or if the toilet tissues are more for a particular brand on sale or is it cheaper for a generic brand of toilet paper etc. It saves money when you know what you pay for. I like making sure if I'm getting a real bargain or paying more for packaging. Love saving money.

14. melissa1024

melissa1024New Member

Threads:
    I always take a shopping list with me with items that I need on it and only buy those items so I do not overspend. I also try to get items on sale and use coupons. I always carry a calculator with my to add up my purchases so I do not go over my budget and so I can also predict about how much my total amount due will be when I check out.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not use a calculator but I am blessed with a sharp computing power lol :) I always cross check figures and rates after shopping and never pay unless I am satisfied with the amount I pay. In case of my regular shops I keep their bills and pay but I always check everything before throwing that bill away. In case I found any mistake I settle it on my next visit.

16. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    It's pretty nice to read about using a calculator while shopping at the stores. I would be glad to understand more how the shopping app works for I'm quite interested to use it for my shopping as well.

17. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    If I could make list of things I want to buy before actually going on a shopping, I don't think there is high chances of overspending as long as I get those goods at the forecasted prices. Using a calculator can assist when we go to the stores without a list of things we want to buy to avoid overspending.