Do You Use A Free Antivirus Or A Paid One?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Robilas • Jul 8, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Some free antivirus packages are more than enough to do the job. Nonetheless, quality antivirus software, at least the basic package which is more than enough protection, are rather cheap nowadays. Therefore, I don't see the point in bothering with a free antivirus.

For instance, Iv'e been using WebRoot and it's basic package is only 20 USD a year, which isn't a big deal, especially since I live in the US.

2. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I have always used a free anti-virus software, and it does the job fairly well. But I recently saw a pirated CD with lots of anti-virus brands bundled in 1 disk, and they were all paid versions. So I intend to buy it when I go there again and see for myself if I would be satisfied with it.

3. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is the classic case for me of worrying about getting what you pay for. I would like to think that my free antivirus is doing the trick, but I cannot help but think that paying for the upgraded version is better in the long run. It is a decision, but my cheapness always wins.

4. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I use a paid Malwarebytes version from a code my friend gave me. I use a free version of RogueKiller and that's basically it. It protects my online surfing and with the power of both, detects any problem with my computer and deleted it.

5. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    If you are choosing between free and paid antivirus softwares, you may use one simple approach. If you use PC for buying something and pay with credit card online then you need to have maximum virus protection and it is strongly recommended to use paid antivirus softwares. In other cases, when you use PC for games, social medias, internet surfing and etc. free antivirus softwares will be enough for all your needs.

6. Lazar

LazarMember

Threads:
    It depends on what kind of user you are. I mean, if all I do is listening to music, watching movies online and using some social networks I don't think I need some premium protection. Decent free antivirus will do the job I'm sure.

7. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Currently, I am using a free anti virus, however, I am thinking to have a paid antivirus on my computer. Couple of years ago, I installed paid antivirus after relying on free antivirus for many years. Based on my experience, I can say free antivirus are as good as paid one. However, you need to regularly update your antivirus to make it work.

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have always installed free versions of anti virus' and never found a reason to upgrade. I think I would be receiving the same amount of protection with both.

There are many options to chose from which work amazing. I use malware bytes which has worked like a charm.

9. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    Windows defender is being provided by Microsoft free of cost with the Windows 10 upgrade. I don't use it so I cannot comment on its reliability. I use Quick Heal Pro Antivirus. It is a paid version(costs around $5 for a year). I have been using it for the past 5 months now and I can say it is good. It did not slow down my PC one bit. Scans every new application and download automatically. USB drives are auto-scanned and the malware infected files are deleted.

There are some files which the antivirus cannot scan and such files can be manually submitted the Quick Heal support team so the next update can accommodate for the infected files. I would recommend Quick Heal to anyone who wants to have a good product at a reasonably low price.

10. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Very true. It depends on for what you use your computer. I think most of the viruses intrude into our system through downloading free files. You can see that there are a large number of free games and movies available on net. While downloading them these malicious programs also sneak into our system without our knowledge. In most of the cases an ordinary anti-virus will not be in a position to catch them. So it is always safer to get files directly from the publisher's site. If you use a middleman that could be dangerous. Just keep in mind that nothing is actually free on Internet.

11. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have always used a free antivirus and never had any real problems. Although I have tried many I have finally settled with Bitdefender free and malwarebytes free. These two seem to keep my computer running smoothly. I have tried the paid trials but to be honest I can't tell the difference. I suppose if I encountered a real problem I would consider a paid version of Bitdefender but at the moment I don't think I have a need,

12. Rock1987

Rock1987Member

Threads:
    Currently I am using a paid antivirus for my computer. I pay about $12 a year for the antivirus. I have renewed this antivirus since 2012. Earlier before 2012, I didn't have any antivirus. My PC was prone to virus attacks and I had to format my PC every 4-5 months. I was quite frustrated and didn't bother to download a free antivirus. My friends and computer technician recommended me to install an antivirus to remove such problems. After installing the paid antivirus, I haven't had any problem for almost 6 years. My files and important documents are safe. I have installed a free antivirus for my smartphone. It doesn't have all the features but it scans every file and app after it is installed or downloaded.

13. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    I use free anti-virus which I downloaded directly from a known company which provides anti-virus and other software related stuff. I've been using free anti-virus since day one and I had not encountered any trouble whatsoever arising from viruses or trojan attacks. Well, I'm not an expert so maybe there are viruses present on my PC which I am not aware of, still I'm glad with all these free software I am presently using.

14. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I have always been using the free anti virus program. I first started with AVG, then switched to Avast. I have not found any issues with these free versions, hence I do not spend money to upgrade to a premium version. I am sure it's much better to use the premium version, I just do not plan to spend money in anti virus program. In fact, I always switched off my Avast as my computer is very old and the anti virus program slowed down my computer a lot.

15. juan dela cruz

juan dela cruzMember

Threads:
    I use a free one for my laptop which is NOD antivirus. I don't want to waste some extra money for monthly fees of paid anti-virus that just gives the same services for a free one. I had a good experience with NOD when I brought my laptop on board the ship for a couple of months. It all went well when I am on board maybe because my laptop is not too much expose on the internet which is the source of many viruses. When I went home Nod still do the job of basic protection but I think I got some viruses who was able to penetrate because of internet.

16. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I have paid only once for an antivirus, it was Norton and I was not satisfied by its protection so, I decided to never buy an antivirus I am using the free trial and free versions, I never had a big issue with a virus on my PC, cell phone or my laptop.
    I am using the Avast free trial and I think is the best antivirus from the Internet.

17. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I have free AVG antivirus installed on the system. And it gets my job done. So I have no plans to ugprade to the paid one. I have seen it working just fine. And also it prevents from some of the highly malicious websites. So free one can do the job there seems to be the no need for the paid software. I guess on that premise I don't mind using the paid antivirus if need be.

18. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I have been using free antivirus since 2007 and my experience is good with this kind of software. However, you do not search for problems. In other words, some care must be taken. For example, you must not open suspicious e-mails or execute softwares from unknown sources.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I paid to use Avast and to this day I don't regret any penny I spent on it. antivitus is simply excellent. To this day, I've never had any problems with it.

20. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have 2 computers that I use at home – 1 is an old desktop running on Windows XP and a new laptop that is running on Windows 7. For the anti virus, I installed AVG on the laptop which is fine. It gives me peace of mind. For the desktop, AVG wouldn’t install so I downloaded Avast for that. And I guess it’s also doing fine. Anti virus is expensive and if you can get it for free then why buy one that has a license?