Do You Use A Mouse As Well As The Touchpad On Your Laptop?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by cocolgooh • Jul 12, 2015.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I personally don't and prefer to just use the touchpad as I find it's a lot easier for me. However when other people have used my laptop they've complained it's really hard to use because the touchpad is to the left of the keyboard rather than exactly central. Being left handed (at least, I am when I use the mouse) this really doesn't bother me and actually makes it easier. A lot of people seem to find it really difficult to use though and I've had to let them use a USB mouse with the laptop so they can use it more easily.

2. TalTBest

TalTBestNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, I don't like the touchpad, I find it too slow and annoying. I prefer using the lovely mouse, much faster for me.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I've never seen a touchpad to the left instead of in the center. I would really struggle to get used to THAT part, I think.

In general, I do prefer using a mouse, but I don't struggle with touchpads otherwise.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never cared for touchpads, but I do use the one on my laptop, and used the one on my netbook, as well. I used to have a trackball on the laptop, but it broke, and I never replaced it. On the desktop though, I use a trackman still, because I prefer it. I'm also a leftie, but I use the trackball on the right, because I got used to it that way when I shared computers at work.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve been using just a touchpad for so long, it’s a little weird when I do have to use a mouse. I actually drew pixel art for years with a touchpad, after starting with a mouse. I had to change my entire style to adapt to using a touchpad only, but I found methods that worked for me. People were shocked when I told them this. And then they understood why it would take me so long to finish a piece, haha.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I completely agree that it feels weird to use a mouse now, @LeopardJones@LeopardJones! I'm the same! If I have to use one it seems like I've somehow lost control of it and it goes all over the place. Its like I can be more precise with a touchpad!

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My touchpad stopped working so I had to start so I had to start using my mouse. Now my touchpad is working again so I find myself using both. I have to cover the touchpad to keep from making mistakes when I am typing, so far it is not a real problem.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I may use touchpad from time to time but not on a daily basis, as it's hard for me move it accurately, same as it's difficult to me type right on the tablet's keyboard, and I have keypad dependency when typing numbers, which I tried to overcome buying a external keypad for it, but overtime a better workaround has been attaching to the tablet a regular keyboard and an optical mouse, just like if it were a desktop computer.

Based on the fact that it's placed on the desktop all the time, I don't need to move it, and therefore it is also connected to the web via Ethernet cable rather than Wi-Fi, which is twice faster.

9. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I HATE the touch pad. I find a mouse just does the job much better.
    I cringe when I have to work on a unit that doesn't have a mouse, it's just so tedious.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Haha, glad to know I’m not the only one who feels that way! It doesn’t usually take me too long to readjust to a mouse, but yeah, adjustment is definitely needed at first when I use one. And when I was making my art, I really did feel like I could be more precise and exact with the touchpad once I got used to it. Still took a long time to finish my stuff, but it was always worth it.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well isn't that convenient for you then.. I haven't seen that before. I don't prefer the touchpad though.. a mouse feels much more natural for me. Maybe because I'm lazy with it.. I'll never get used to tapping to make selections etc so I would still have to use my mouse and it's just easier to do everything in one place rather than going back and forth lol.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On sub-$700 laptops, you're really going to see some poor touchpads that aren't responsive and have annoying glitches. Very few budget devices under that price have solid touchpads, and that's a simple truth. Plus, a touchpad isn't nearly as accurate or fast as using a mouse for obvious reasons. I use both, depending upon what I'm trying to do, but you're not going to see a smart person using a mouse for intensive, productivity-based tasks.

13. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I always use a mouse. I just can't seem to get the hang of the touch pad. It is way too slow or I end up clicking on something else. It takes me forever to get where I want to go. I find it very frustrating so I just stick with a mouse. It is much easier for me that way.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't like using the touchpad. I tried to use it, but I ended up using a USB mouse to continue my work. It seems hard to navigate when you're just using your pointer finger.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely use laptops and it so happens that when using the touch pad, the mouse cursor will be all over the screen. When browsing a web page with many links I'm normally forced to use the tab key to navigate. That's why I'll always prefer to attach a mouse to a laptop when I'm using one.

16. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I first got my laptop, I had a tough time using it and getting used to the touch pad. And then when I finally got used to the touch pad, I ended up having an accident where I spilled a hot sticky drink all over the keyboard. That stopped the touch pad from working until I got it fixed. So in the meantime, I used the small usb mouse that came with the laptop when I initially purchased it.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like using a mouse, but you get what you pay for. Good quality ones can be good and easy to use. I had always used a mac and the touchpads are fine. I tried one on an Asus I bought and realized not all touchpads are the same. I think you should always try them before buying and then you know if you need a mouse or not.

18. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I generally do not use both the mouse and the touch pad at the same time. With the touch pad at the middle, my hand might accidentally touch it and move my cursor all over the place. So, I disable the touch pad via the fn button so I can use the mouse alone. Only if I do not have a mouse that I activate the touch pad.

For the touch pad alone, it can be slow if you use applications like graphics editing. If your primary reason for use is surfing the net or office. It will suffice.

19. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only trouble with using a mouse with a laptop, even the really small usb mouses, is that there often isn't a mat provided with them. You kind of have to find your own surface to roll the mouse around on, and as I am sure everyone knows, not every surface is easy to operate a mouse on.

20. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to get severe pain in my shoulder when I used a mouse. I tried to switch between my left and right arm as much as possible, but I was always left half crippled after a couple of hours. When I began to solely use my touch pad, all those problems miraculously disappeared. My touch pad is located slightly to the left on my laptop. I have no difficulties whatsoever using it for many hours without feeling any kind of strain.