Do you use a screen guard for your phone or tablet?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lindbergh • Jan 20, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I purchase a new phone or tablet, I always purchase a screen guard for it. At first, I was fond of getting the anti-fingerprint screen guard. However, I found out that the clear screen guard was a lot better and looked much better as well. Screen guards are important so that the screen of the device won't get scratched by hard objects.

Does the screen of your device have a screen guard too?

2. suncoast15

suncoast15New Member

Threads:
    I did for a while (iPhone 4S) but it got dirty very easily and scratch marks were very visible. I took it off one day and was surprised at how clean the native surface stays and how better it felt than the grainy feel of a protector which accumulates stuff too easily. I probably won't use a protector for the rest of my time with this phone.

That being said, it's probably a good idea to invest in a mid range protector and not the cheap bulk packages from overseas. There is really a huge range of quality with these things.

3. maee9713

maee9713New Member

Threads:
    I always use a screen protector. They do collect dirt easily around the edges, but I change mine regularly. I have found it's better to be safe than sorry and I'd rather destroy a screen protector that can be changed out relatively cheaply than destroying an actual screen and having to replace the device at a high price.

4. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I recently bought a screen protector for my Nexus 4 because there was a promotion to get 90% off if you bought 2. I have made a topic about this coupon in the coupon forum. I think it still works so the price is about $2 for 2 screen protectors. Not a bad deal for some protection if you ask me.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah my newer phone has a screen guard, it came included with my purchase. But my older phone doesn't have one. I think that it's essential to have one on your gadgets if you want to protect the screen, although I know some people aren't particular with having a screen guard on their devices.

6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do. I have screen guard for everyone of my phones. Having a screen guard allows me to use my phone more roughly without having to worry about scratching the screen or breaking it. I can safely put it in my pocket and clean it with a cloth easily when necessary.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't use cases or screen guards. I prefer to just use the products as themselves and allow them to get broken or scratched up with use. I personally find that worrying about the state of my gadgets and other belongings just deters my enjoyment of them even if just slightly, and it's just not worth the worry for me. I understand that it's not a reasonable method for most people, but it just works for me as I rarely resell old gadgets anyway.

8. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    Nope, curved phone! I must have dropped my phone 50 times so far, and there's not a single scratch on it.

9. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I use a screen protector on both my phone and tablet, and I don't regret it. I had a not-so-good touch-screen phone last year that I scratched literally within days of buying it, just by it being in my pocket. It wasn't with coins or keys or anything, it just was scratching from being in my pocket near the fabric - very strange. Now I use screen protectors all the time, they're very cheap and they increase the lifespan of the touch screen by a long time. :)

10. jriley

jrileyNew Member

Threads:
    I have a galaxy s4 active and you don't need a screen protector with it.

11. Carles

CarlesMember

Threads:
    I used to use a screen guard on my tablet, but then it started to get really dirty and it got this weird black stuff stuck to it, so I took it off. I haven't had any problems without the screen guard, so it's all good.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've only ever possessed one tablet and two phones so far. None of them have a screen guard. I've had these gadgets for nearly five years now, and I have never had any problems with them, or felt the need to upgrade or buy new ones. I have to say, that I always take exceptionally good care of my electronic gadgets, so that they last as long as possible.

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I did use a screen guard when i first got my tablet but eventually i took it off because well, it's really nice to use it the tablet naked and i don't know i guess i just forgot to put it back on one time while i was cleaning the tablet and decided to just keep it that way.

14. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Yes! I always need to have a screen guard because I hate having to live with a scratched screen... Just the idea of having to use your scratched device pains me. I always look for screen guards on amazon because I can look at the reviews and pick out the ones that are the easiest to apply at the lowest cost. And I usually buy clear ones because I prefer to not even be able to tell that there's even a screen guard on my device. But at the same time, I'll be protected from scratching up the screen. You pay a lot of money for your devices, you should invest the little pennies in trying to protect it's condition, that way it's still possible for you to resell it online to earn a bit of money. Screen guards definitely worth it.

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Screen protectors are 100% unnecessary. The latest iterations of Corning Gorilla Glass are strong enough to withstand a person actively scraping keys against the screen. A screen protector does two things by A) getting smudged with fingerprints or dirt and grime and B) slightly reducing the accuracy of your touchscreen. I know my phone's not going to get scratched on the screen unless I drop it from high enough, and a screen protector won't help in that case if the screen shatters. They're unnecessary.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried using screen protectors before but always found they quickly started looking scruffy. Now, I don't bother at all. I'll pop my phone into a case if it's going in my handbag but apart from that, I don't take any protective measures.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the things that I dislike the most about using my smartphone or tablet out in the sun is that I can almost NEVER see what I am doing, thanks to the copious amounts of light. I don't even think that they make screen guards for my model of phone or tablet, so it seems that I am doomed lol.

18. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    My current phone has got a relatively decent screen, and protecting it with a screen protector wouldn't do much, to be honest. I mainly prefer not exposing it to dangers instead of buying additional protection measures. For example, I don't keep it in my pocket, I don't let it everywhere in my houses where things could fall and break it etc. Go by that mindset and you'll be fine. You don't need to necessarily buy something to protect it.

19. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    Buying a screen protector definitely saves me money. I'd rather spend a little money on the screen protector rather than a lot more on sorting out all the scratches that somehow appear on my screen. I like my phones to last as long as possible, so I always try and prevent any disasters. I always end up with scratches, so if I can avoid it, I will for sure!

20. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    My current phone doesn't have a screen protector, but I can see how smudgy the glass is. Sometimes it makes it hard to see in bright areas because the smudges cover up the screen. However, when I had a screen protector with my last phone, I hated dealing with air bubbles and dirt underneath it. However, I did like how it protected the glass and my finger smudges were much less apparent. I guess I could live with or without it.