Do You Use Booking Sites Or Go Right To The Hotel's Source?

Discussion in Travel started by thisnthat • Apr 18, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I have been a fan of booking sites, for the convenience as well as the ability to sometimes find a great deal. I like the sites that offer many comparisons along with lots of reviews.

Recently though, I found a better deal on a hotel's main site. I'll have to check the "best price guarantee" on the booking sites, since they didn't actually have the best price. I'm not sure how it works, or if they match the price. Do you know?

I wonder if it's a difference between the chain's average price and perhaps an offer made by a certain location's owner. I was very surprised to see the lower rate at the main site though. It wasn't a ton lower, but roughly 10%. Savings is savings.

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    First, I always do an extensive research in booking sites because I don't know if it's "luck", but I always find great prices every time I decide to travel. I always like to plan my trips, so... This gives me even more reasons for not to go straight to the hotels' websites (where prices are generally more expensive).

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't done to book for hotel reservation while going out of town or attending an agency sponsored conference and seminar. It is our company that does the booking for us. We go in a bunch or group according to the field of our specialization of job.

Booking online is more convenient that personally going to the hotel to arrange the reservation. There is line spent in doing so than that of travel to and fro to the hotel itself.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @Shine_Spirit@Shine_Spirit I always thought it would be more on the hotel's own site as well, but in this particular case, it wasn't. I didn't book yet though, so that could change. I do like planning in advance too, and yes, that's usually how I end up getting a good deal as well. I'll have to keep an eye on the booking sites for now.

@Nakitakona@Nakitakona I didn't mean going to the actual, physical, hotel building to book the reservation. I meant the hotel's website. I guess I should have been more clear. Yes, that would be very inconvenient. I love booking and shopping online. It saves time, money, and energy, and it is especially beneficial for someone with physical limitations.

#4Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In our first travels, we made a booking on the hotel’s site for our accommodation. But when we tried

and our experience was quite good, it became a habit. With that site, it is very convenient since we can check on the prices of the rooms on a given day. And when we think the price is good enough then we make a booking and pay with our credit card. In one of our travels, we learned that booking in online sites can give you a discount. In other words, it is cheaper in online sites than booking directly in the hotel. As the manager of a 5-star hotel in Kuala Lumpur said, hotels give preferences to online sites that advertise their hotel because those sites give them business.

6. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am quite content with resorting to the booking sites for making a hotel booking. I subscribe to a number of booking sites that send me daily updates on the prices and deals for the locations where I have indicated an interest and this presents with the option of being able to easily compare the rates for a number of hotels simultaneously

7. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I try booking sites when I am out for a leisure trip but in case of official trips my company has its own agency to look after all such things. I can say that in my personal capacity I have taken best advantages of the offers whenever available. I really could not believe some of the offers that I availed were possible otherwise.

8. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    I normally find a hotel I like through a booking site, then check the prices on a couple of oither booking sites and the hotel's own site to see if there are any deals on. My best deal was a four star hotel for £30 a night - it was the off-season and it was right by the work conference I was going to. Much cheaper than trying to get conference accommodation onsite!

It's always worth checking the hotel's own site for last minute deals they haven't passed on, because the booking sites will get the spaces and prices months in advance and have to add their own fee into the cost of the room.

9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Even I have seen that it is different for different hotels. So better to checkout all the options to get the best deal. Recently I have booked with online hotel as it was offering deal with quite less price in compare to direct booking from hotel itself. So better to checkout all the options to grab best deal for us.

10. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I always compare which option offers the better deal. While booking sites generally offer lower room prices, it won't hurt to check out the hotel's website and browse for special deals. It also pays to know the add on charges before booking for a hotel stay as an extra 12 or 25 percent add on for service fees, city taxes, or VAT can easily ruin one's budget. While I've always opted to use booking sites, I can't say I'm loyal to one.

11. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I use booking sites a lot and occasionally visit the hotel websites I know. It depends on where I am able to gather the info I needed prior to my travel. I only know of a few hotel sites but many booking sites. I visit booking sites more often and also access the accommodation if they have the provision.

12. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I use to book agency if I am going abroad they really make it easy for me, I get everything ready before i go.