Do You Use Coupons on Every Grocery Trip?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by couponaholic • Jun 25, 2012.

1. couponaholic

couponaholicBanned

Threads:
    I am not one of the crazy coupon clippers or anything like that, but I do like to use coupons that I have to save me some money on the grocery bill. Using coupons really has helped us cut our food budget in half, literally. I have never gotten the amount paid out of pocket down to $0.00, but saving $5 at the register is cool in my book.

I try to use at least a couple coupons every time I go to the grocery store. It's one of the easiest ways I know to save a little money so that I can use the money on other things we need. Right now, anything extra is going toward the electric bill and heating bill. They are quite high.

Do you use coupons every time you visit the grocery store?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    No. I used to when I was in college, but for the most part, I don't think coupons last as long as they used to. I get that they are trying to get you into the stores by a certain time, but I'm not going to get something a moment earlier than I want it. Even with household goods, there is a limit to how much I will buy as I have to put them somewhere.

I'm typically satisfied with the big sales that the stores have at least once a month, if not every other.

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've never use a coupon in my life. I might try it someday, but I rely on the sales and store discounts. It seems like a lot of work to find all those coupons and cut them out. It's almost like a full time job. ;) There are sometimes I wish I had coupons to save some money, but overall I don't use them.

4. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    My mom does. She cuts them out of the Sunday paper every week and hangs on to them until she shops, and she used to try to always give me the ones she didn't want, but I would also just lose them or let them expire. Unless it's something kind of expensive, like my shampoo, I don't use them. And even then, I'll only use one if my mom gives it to me the day I'm going shopping because she knows I'm going for shampoo or something.

5. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    For the past few weeks, I have. I have received four free coupons on soy beverage (I have purchased quite a few of chocolate soy drinks already) and I expect more to get more this week. This made me realize that I should definitely order more coupons and should've started years ago when I started grocery shopping on my own when I turned 16.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely use coupons. Lately, I have been asking myself, "Why not?" I used to see coupons for items that I would never purchase. So, now I search coupon sites for deals for my favorite products. I also visit a product site and sign up for the newsletter in hopes of receiving coupons. I still buy my preferred product, now I say anywhere from a handful of change to a couple of bucks. It certainly helps.

7. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    I've seen it with my mom especially, and it helps when you can save a good percentage of the grocery bill. Every little bit can help in the long run, especially when added up with store sales. I might join in on the coupon craze, but it really depends on what I'll need and what I'll save, and if it's worth it, I'll go ahead and do it.

8. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I actually keep meaning to use coupons but I never do. I tried clipping them a few times in my life, for a few months each time, but it never went well. I'd organize them into different envelopes and then one of three things would happen. They would expire (most commonly) because I don't like to buy things I don't need yet, especially if they are at all perishable. The rest of the time I'd either forget them or be unable to find the one I wanted amid all the coupons in all the envelopes. I should probably try again and just be more selective about what I clip and when, but it's always been a failure for me. Thanks for reminding me I should try again :)

9. QuatreHiead

QuatreHieadMember

Threads:
    I do most of the time, although this is primarily because I plan each and every trip to the grocery store. I clip the coupons ahead of time, then wait for the items I would like to go on sale. There are even some treat items I realize aren't at all healthy for me that I only get under the conditions of (1) there is a sale AND (2) I have a coupon. This also helps me to manage good eating habits.

I think that clipping coupons on a regular basis and keeping an eye on prices is the best and easiest way to keep an eye on your grocery bill. I think it helps me keep the cost low. Even if you only save $0.50 on a single visit, doing that every visit adds up. Chances are that there are plenty of coupons you can take advantage of year around.

I have considered going the extra step to see if there are places online to purchase coupons in bulk and get closer to crazy couponing, but I can't justify doing that living in just a small flat without a large family to feed or even a pet for that matter.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, I don't. Often times that's because I'm only shopping at Aldis and they don't use coupons there. When I go to Kroger's, I try to have at least a couple on me, but because I mostly go there for produce and meat, there's not usually many coupons to use. I do keep a look out for products I like and don't regularly buy, to see if there are coupons that make them cheap enough to get anyway, though.

11. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely use them because the grocery coupons we have here suck. I mean, I usually don't find anything interesting to buy with those coupons. We rarely get "$X off your whole purchase" coupons here - what we usually have are "Save $X when you buy this brand of this product!" coupons. And most of the time, I don't care for that brand... or that product itself.

12. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I have only ever used a coupon once. Once. I have lacked the discipline or inclination to use it more than that. But that is rapidly changing. I think that I have been far too lazy but I am thinking of using them more often as my mom is showing me how much I can save and it is pretty impressive. Something to look into and develop.

13. DontFan

DontFanMember

Threads:
    About every time, yes. We have a nice Safeway just by the corner and between the coupons they give you each time you buy, the discount on gasoline ... It is early 5 $ less every time we shop

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Wow! I guess I am in the minority here. I use coupons for every single grocery trip. If I don't pay with my coupons I feel like I am wasting money. Everything in my cart can be purchased for less if I just search the web for coupons or if I have a game plan beforehand. If I really need something, I will buy it without a coupon, but most of the time I always have one on hand.

15. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I do usually have at least one every trip. I typically shop at Stop and Shop and they reward me by mailing me $5 off, $2 off and a free item each week. So in one trip I can use all of these coupons, plus I get store printout coupons. The free items that they give are always something good that you want or use too. I have got free toilet paper, free paper towels, free ice cream, free Hellmanns mayo and much more :) I make sure I bring my weekly coupons lol! I don't always have manufacturers coupons tho. I don't always find ones for things I would want to buy.

16. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    No, I don't. Most of the time the coupons are for things that I don't need so I think it's pointless to clip them and use them. And even when I do clip coupons I tend to forget to bring them with me when I go shopping.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to use coupons for every trip unless I happen to be out and remember a much-needed item like dishwashing liquid and realize I don't have the coupon on me. I usually carry a coupon file in my bag, but I've forgotten it a few times when I switched bags.

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Only if it's something significant, otherwise I don't bother with coupons. The times I tried to get into coupons, I found myself stocking up on too many things just because they were on sale, not because I really needed them or would be using them often. I prefer to just hit up a few stores where I know they already sell the products I want at a lower price. For example, I will only buy fresh herbs at the farmers market vs. getting them at a chain grocery store where they're marked up heavily. I buy condiments like ketchup, mustard and mayo at the $1 stores. One of our local grocery stores sells produce far cheaper than the other chain grocery stores in the area. Trader Joes has great prices on their frozen foods and dried goods, so I will often get those items there. I think it depends on if you're shopping for a family or just for yourself too. It's more difficult to take advantage of coupon savings when you're only shopping for yourself.

19. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use coupons every grocery trip. Most of the time I forget my coupons at home or I forget that I even have them. It has to be a really good deal for me to remember the coupons. Also, I make sure to have my coupons when I go to the health-food, organic grocery stores because they tend to be a lot more expensive. I do clip coupons for restaurants and ice-cream shops. I just got a really great buy one get one free coupon for yogurt shop. I also got a great coupon for a local upscale restaurant for a free dessert.

20. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I could be using more if I had a printer, but at the minute I use cut-out coupons from magazines.