Do You Use Electric Kitchen Appliances To Avoid A Gas Bill?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by ACSAPA • Aug 2, 2014.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My current apartment has an electric water heater, so the only thing I would need gas for is my stove/oven. Right now, I can't justify having an additional utility bill just for one appliance.
    So I never got the gas hooked up for the stove. Instead I use an electric convection oven, hot plate, griddle and microwave. In spite of the cooking, my electric bill is still $50 a month because I don't waste electricity.

I saw that Kate Hashimoto on Extreme Cheapskates doesn't use her oven either, she has a hot plate. I use my oven to store my electric griddle and electric waffle iron.

Do any of you guys use electric kitchen appliances to cook because you can't or won't pay a gas bill every month just to have a stove?

I could see paying a gas bill if you had a gas water heater. But I can't do it just for a stove.

2. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Friend as it is determined you do not want to have a bill for gas, why not take it to the next level? You can lower your power bill by using a sun over or a solar kitchen as much as possible.

For example this product:

Or this one:

There are many home designs that work likewise by concentrating sun heat; many can be made with materials that are not too costly to be prohibitive.

Perhaps this solar option is worth considering in your particular case to enhance the savings. Regards.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here we use gas to cook food and we also use an electric rice cooker, but we never used the electric stove since that would be more expensive than just using the gas stove to cook food. Our neighbor's bill was very high because they use their electric stove to cook everyday.

4. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    We use gas to cook in my household. I'm not what would be cheaper, honestly, but we are really used to using gas, so we stick with it. We don't have a gas pipeline going into our house, so we have to swap our gas cylinder when it empties. That means we don't have any additional costs regarding the bills. And gas is more reliable that electricity. We had a severe ice storm earlier this year that cut off power to our town for a whole week. We couldn't cook at all if it weren't for our gas stove. It literally can be a life saver.

5. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    This method seems as if it will take a while to get things cooked and ready to eat. It would be a great advantage if you were out camping, but other than that I do not think I will ever consider this as an alternative option to cooking. I assume it comes with it's own dangers and that will also influence my decision if I ever choose to opt out of my gas use.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In our area there is a minimum usage so no matter how little you use the gas you are still going to pay the bill. I have an electic house and would appreciate a gas stove so if we do have a power outage I will still be able to cook and if it is winter have some heat.

7. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Everything in my apartment is electric. They don't deal with gas, which I'm happy for. I love gas stoves/ovens I think they cook better, but gas is so expensive and isn't worth it in the long run unless you live somewhere cold and deal with ice storms/power outages a lot. But here in Texas near the Gulf, we don't have that issue. I try to avoid using the oven anyway though because it is already hot and using it makes it hotter.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's weird. I use nothing but electric appliances to cook every day and my electric bill is only $48 a month. Maybe it's different in other areas.

9. Gavin

GavinMember

Threads:
    The gas bill is pretty minimal at my house except in the winter. All I can really say is that you need to spend money to save money sometimes. That might mean to have a good stove, a good furnace and a good air conditioning where electric is concerned. The better your equipment the more you're going to save. I also suggest that you buy a programmable thermostat. That helps out a lot. You can keep up with what you're house is at and make it something comfortable and frugal.

10. iam911

iam911Member

Threads:
    The apartment I am currently in comes with an electric stove and uses electricity for heating. I am not sure how efficient using electricity over gas is, as I will be using more electricity to compensate for the gas. Also, I feel like an electric stove takes longer to get hot. I feel like I am using more money when I am using electric appliances over when I am using gas.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my situation, I have to choose between a $48 a month electric bill to cook on my electric hot plate and griddle, or a $100 a month gas bill just for the stove/oven.
    So I would have a whole new extra bill just for using one appliance. I can't justify an extra $100 a month just to keep the oven working.

12. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Yes. I like gas cooking better but electric really does save you money. Where I live gas for that kind of thing is pretty expensive. Almost all the people that still use gas are living in the rural areas around my town. It cut like a quarter of the price of my bill so it's def something to consider.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Electricity here is expensive and I think electric stoves use a fair amount of electricity so I just use gas. It's still expensive that way but not as much as if I chose to use electricity. I prefer using fire as well anyway because I've grown accustomed to it and am able to gauge it much more accurately when cooking, but if I somehow move to another place where using electric stoves would prove to be cheaper then I wouldn't be entirely against it as well.

14. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    I really do not have electric kitchen appliances. These days electric is to high where I'm from. I prefer using gas because you never know if the lights will go out. If that happen at least I know that I can still cook, shower, and stay warm with gas.

15. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    Good to see that someone else watches that show. Anyways, back in Hawaii my friends and I use to barbecue a lot. No electricity and gas required for a open flame barbecue. There are rocket stoves that you can use to eliminate hot plates and stoves all together.