Do you use exercise as an excuse for a bad diet?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Lostvalleyguy • Jun 5, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    There is an ad for some sort of snack food in which a woman is rationalizing her snacking. I walked up the stairs to work so I can have an extra whatever.

I suspect a lot of people treat exercise this way - as an excuse to be bad. If I eat this cake, I will jog an extra mile tomorrow. I find this behavior to be counter productive. If you have the time and energy to jog the extra mile, you should do it and not use the excuse of the bad food. I think this mentality will lead to unhealthy but normal weight people. These people will be less likely to know they have high blood pressure or high cholesterol because they look normal. These people will also be more likely to rapidly become obese in the face of an injury as they have been facilitating their bad eating habits.

Does exercise allow you to rationalize bad behavior?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess you could say I do. I figure because I exercise I don't need to worry about my diet. Honestly though I've never been overweight even when I didn't exercise as regularly. I never crave too many sweets. I remember one time I felt sick after just one brownie and I can't stand double chocolate. I do eat a lot of meaty things but that's something that is necessary as it gives you protein. I don't avoid fruits and veggies entirely. I just don't eat them very often. I do not see the need in being very careful about diet because life is short so we should be able to eat what we want. As long as we know our limits it is ok to overdo it once in a while.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Sure. I think for most people that exercising gives them some sort of justification for their bad eating habits. Exercising off a bad eating day will allow you to maintain a good weight. And while it's not exactly healthy to eat a bunch of junk food and then go workout, it's still best to always exercise as much as possible. Also, eating healthier will help working out and make the exercise more effective.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Before I used to exercise then go back home and eat a lot because I had just burned off a bunch of calories. So my diet never worked. Now I usually workout when I'm on a good diet because I only even am able to combine the two when I'm on a healthy mindset. For example last month I stopped going to the gym and consequently stopped my diet as well. I can't seem to do one without the other now, I guess my brain just knows one will not work properly without the other.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do, I do, and I do! I can't help it, but most of the foods that are affordable and really delicious are not good for the health, so I keep on eating them. Eating them elevates my food, and so I feel happier. Because I don't have control, I often tend to eat them in excessive amount. Good thing that I work out quite intensely. I can burn 2000 calories a day which I think would give justice to the bad foods I ate. But those 2000 calories are not easy to burn. It takes like 3 hours for me, but I find it doable, only that not easy, psychologically and physically. I don't think that one should restrain himself from the foods that she's eating. Eating what you like and not depriving yourself from it produce hormones to make you feel good and prevent slowing down metabolism. Exercise does the same thing also. So if you eat, you must also exercise to achieve maximum efficiency of feeling good.

6. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't. I think it's a slippery slope so I never even started trying to rationalize eating junk food because I go to the gym. I once read that you can't out exercise a bad diet. I want to see results when I go to the gym so I eat as healthy as I can.

7. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I have been reading about this very subject. I am so stuck on the foods I eat that it would be very difficult for me to change. So I Googled the question "Should I change my diet if I'm walking three miles a day to lose wieght?" The results said it is not necessary that will still lose wieght just not as fast!