Do you use low energy light bulbs such as LED's.

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by daleo717 • May 22, 2014.

1. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    I have switched over to Eco-bulbs and LED light bulbs and I must say it saves a lot of electricity throughout the year. I would say my electric bill is down about $100 per year and that is just by changing the light bulbs in The House. Has anyone else changed over from incandescent lights to low energy bulbs?

2. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    We bought our house six years ago and when we bought it be started using all LCD lightbulbs as opposed to incandescent bulbs. The reason that we did that is because of the fact that they are more energy efficient. At this point in time we are slowly switching over to LED as they are even more efficient. However, there are some things that I don't like about LED, such as the fact that it takes them a little bit to warm up.

3. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    Yes! We've recently moved into a mobile home, and the only utility we have to pay is electric. In an attempt to have that one bill as low as possible we've started installing energy efficient lighting. It wasn't as pricey as I thought it'd be, and any extra I may have spent I'll more than make up for in savings. We haven't got our first bill yet, but I'm actually excited to see it.

4. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, most of ours are LED. I do love the savings, but yes, that warming up thing is a no good thing when you have dogs barking at something outside and you need to flip a light right NOW to see what the devil is going on. But other than that, hey, lol. My favorite are the daylight bulbs. I love the bright light.

5. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I grabbed a pack of 3 LED bulbs at Costco (USA) for about $8 and I'm really pleased with them so far. It's amazing for peace of mind, especially if you used to be paranoid about leaving the lights on before, plus it saves you so much more money in the long run. Best of all, I honestly don't feel like you're making a sacrifice as the brightness is at least equal with your standard bulbs.

Overall, I'd really recommend people make the transition if they can, but hold out for some decent sales or drop by your local Costco and see if that 3 pack is available to you.

6. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using compact fluorescent bulbs for many years. I have a fixture in my kitchen that uses halogens which I would love to replace (but it is a rental unit). I have looked into replacing the halogens with L.E.D.s as they make the right ones for the fixture but unfortunately the lights don't quite fit the fixture. This was the problem with many CFLs when they were new as well.

The LEDs on the market are great for directional lighting but do a poor job of brightening a full room. There are some out there that are supposed to be better and more efficient than the ones currently on the public market but they can be expensive. I haven't tried one yet but these look promising:

7. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    I use all low energy light bulbs in my apartment. I have saved a lot of money over the years changing over to these bulbs. I am planning to buy LED's but right now use compact fluorescent bulbs. I find that these bulbs are pretty good and last quite a long time. The downfall of these is that when you first turn them on, it takes a few minutes to get the full energy of the bulb, other from that they are good.

8. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use energy saving lightbulbs, for the pure reason that ones that I've found don't seem to work very well. Although I'd love to reduce my carbon footprint and ensure I don't use more energy than I require, using an energy-saving lightbulb just doesn't do it for me really, I hate having to wait for the light to brighten up as the chances are the room in which I turn the light on I'll only be in for a couple of minutes, and also some of the lightbulbs even at full power don't give out enough light to be able to comfortably see, especially when it's very dark.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, we have used the ring light since I was born, but since 2009 we have switched to LED light bulbs, and I just don't like that it doesn't illuminate the whole room. It only illuminates the center of the room, but the corners of the room are dark. I remember that when we were using the ring light, all corners of the room were illuminated.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have replaced a good amount of my light bulbs at home with LED lights, and I have noticed a slight dip in my monthly electricity bill ever since. Granted, it's not that substantial, but it's still very helpful since it does add up if you consider the annual cost I'd get to save on. I've also installed some solar powered LED lights in our garden so I also get to save there since there are a lot of them and I don't need to pay for the electricity cost for those because they are only running on the power they get from the sun, although admittedly, I don't use them that much.

11. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Aren't LED's very, very low level of light? Or maybe I'm just thinking of the wrong kind?

12. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have not switched for a couple of reasons. I do not like the spectrum of the fluorescent lights, I feel like I can't see very well compared to regular light bulbs and it just doesn't make a good atmosphere for home. It feels to commercial or industrial or something. Second, they would perhaps lower my electric bill some, but would not actually save me money because I have figured out that the cost of the much more expensive light bulb would be quite a bit more than what it would save me in electricity. Then of course there is the problem of disposing them, as the fluorescent bulbs have toxic chemicals in them and can't go in the trash.

13. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    Yes and it really does save you a ton of money. I think we have saved around the same and they last way longer than normal ones. I don't see why everyone hasn't done that at this point.

14. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    I switched to LEDs a few months ago. There is a mathematical difference, but what made the difference is cutting down or out totally of heavy wattage consuming appliances. Air conditioning, electric stove, and clothes dryer will make you electric bill go sky high.

15. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    I do use the power saving lightbulbs, but I don't think that they are LED's. I find that the little white LED's when used in a group too cold and hurts my eyes, and the 'normal' bulbs are much warmer and better for my eyes. I do definitely recommend them as they are just as good as the old lightbulbs, but only uses a fraction on the power, and you do notice the difference over a longer time period. They are really cheap now anyways, so I think if you are still using lightbulbs, grab a set of those energy saving ones next time.