Do You Use Olive Oil ?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by FolkArtist • May 21, 2017.

1. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I like to use Olive Oil on a lot of different foods for taste and cooking,and also its used in the Mediterranian diets a lot and is delicious on salads,in pasta,and on fish. It also has a lot of antioxidants in it as well,and Extra Virgin Oilve Oil has different aromas,textures,colors,and flavors that make it interesting as well. Why do you like to use Olive Oil for your cooking or do you prefer something else?

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I like to use olive oil especially with salads and boiled foods (sometimes I think that I use more than the recommended, haha... :D). The taste of the food becomes softer and striking to the palate... Not to mention the benefits to our health.

It's really great! ;)

3. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yep, me too, olive oil is one of the healthiest fats, so it's the one I use. More, we are the ones picking the olives, so the olive oil we consume is made from them, we don't buy it on stores, so we know it's perfectly healthy, natural, and cheaper. Just more hard work. :)

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I used to use olive oil in almost all my food but once the economy went bad now I have to use vegetable oil. Olive oil is the best tasteing and healthiest but it is also the most expensive, it costs three times more expensive than the other types. I try to use the least possible though to try to eat less of it.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We like olive oil too at our home for cooking and a healthy tablespoon full too sometimes. I drizzle it on baking tater tots that my Mom loves all the time. I get both the cooking and thicker version of olive oil. When Safeway $5 Fridays has it on sale 17.5 with Safeway card on sale or at Walmart where I found it's the cheapest prices all the time to save lots of money. Love olive oil!

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Olive oil is healthier for you, and I use it mainly with pasta but also a drop when cooking vegetables instead of butter. I don't cook it for long because it's only to add texture. My parents when they cook rice add a drop too, and also when they make casseroles and stews.

It's important not to use olive oil at high temperatures as it changes the molecular construction and loses its beneficial qualities.

7. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Our types of food do not taste good in olive oil. Moreover, olive oil is too costly to use in everyday cooking.

However, being heart friendly, doctors are recommending to use this oil. So, at times, I use olive oil to stir fry boiled veggies. Besides, if I make Italian dishes like pasta, pizza etc. at home, then olive oil is used.

8. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, no question that olive oil is more expensive than other oils, but it's surely a good investment we make, in healthier products because we are benefiting our health. Being overweight comes from these small details that we ignore, like eating healthier foods.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a coincidence. I was rummaging in the food cabinet yesterday when I spotted 6 small bottles of olive oil. I don’t know how to use it and neither anyone in our house. My wife said that she got it as giveaway in the supermarket for the big bottle of cooking oil. I just left it there and just thought that maybe I can make use of it somehow. I like the idea that olive oil is good for salads. Maybe I can try it next time when I make a garden salad.

10. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, if pretty great with salads for seasoning. You add some salt, olive oil, vinegar, mix it all up, and it's delicious! How do you usually season salads @Alexandoy@Alexandoy? I don't think I've ever eaten a salad without olive oil!

11. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update I agree that sometimes it's worth spending a bit more for higher quality items, and especially if it is a healthier option. Olive oil can be quite expensive though. It costs a lot more than some other types of cooking oil do. I guess the best thing to do is to budget for it or watch for coupons and sales.

Cutting out another less healthy option when shopping could also free up some money for purchasing olive oil. It can be prioritized over other things. I usually keep some on hand, although I haven't seen it on sale much lately.

I've been meaning to try out Amazon Pantry though, so maybe I'll have a look over there. Either way, I can compare prices online, even if I end up buying it at a store.

#11May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  12. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I am a huge fan of olive oil and use it on just about everything. I sautee vegetables with it, use it to make herb oil when baking meats, and even make sauces and salad dressings with it. Olive oil is packed with good fats and so I use it in place of butter for most things. Olive oil can also be used as a skin moisturizer and put in your hair to nourish it.

13. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Well several medical studies have proven that Olive Oil has tremendous and various health benefits on the human body, and it has been recommended to me by a lot of close people, ever since i started using it on everything and it definitely gives food a different but good flavor.

14. Sherrie Larrison

Sherrie LarrisonMember

Threads:
    Olive oil is really very beneficial. I often cook food in olive oil and you won't believe, I even use it instead of my moisturizing lotion during winters.

15. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a Polish gal, so I've always used regular butter when cooking. Especially now that I try to eat low-carb, butter isn't really an issue. But olive oil really is supposed to have amazing benefits to your health, even for your hair and skin. I would like to try using it for frying my wheat noodles, instead of regular butter. I put Parmesan cheese on it afterwards anyway, so I'm thinking the two would go really well together..

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Lately I bought a small bottle of olive oil and a small amount of it I use for a special purpose. And the remaining part I give it to my daughter and tell her to use for cooking. I am surprised when she told me that olive oil couldn't be use for cooking. The food that is cooked with olive oil doesn't taste good. Is that so?

17. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona it certainly can be used for cooking, and in fact, it's recommended. As noted above, it's much healthier than many other types of oil. It's considered one of the "good fats."

The taste is different than you will find with other types of oil, but many people like the taste. I guess it's a personal preference.

I don't think it works as well at really high temperatures as some other options do. If you don't like cooking with it on its own, you might try making a marinade.

I think the thing that prohibits most people from buying it is the price. It costs quite a bit more than other options do. Again, that comes down to shopping for good deals and finding ways to save on things that you want to include.

18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @to7update@to7update Our salad dressing is usually the ranch style of vinegar with salt, sugar and black pepper. After stirring to dissolve the ingredients, it is then poured over the salad or sometimes we use the concoction as dip. For mayonnaise, we just add a little worcestershire sauce and catsup then that’s it. I actually have heard of olive oil being used in dishes but I have to be honest that I am a newbie when it comes to elegant food. I have counted the bottles of olive oil in our food cabinet and there are 6 in all, they are giveaways in the promo.

#18May 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2017
  19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We get olive oil at much costlier price in India but here in Australia it's not that big a difference as other vegetable oils. However, we do not use olive oil but prefer soy which I think has as good if not better overall health benefits as olive oil. However, most of the oils we use here are available at Indian stores but olive oil which is widely consumed here is available everywhere at similar price.

20. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that sounds a really good dressing too @Alexandoy@Alexandoy, here we use olive oil a that's pretty much it. Sometimes just lemon instead of vinegar.

I am not familiar with the benefits of soy (oil?), I don't think I've ever tried it. Mmm, maybe I have in Chinese restaurants, but never in salads.