Do You Use Paid Virius Protection Software?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Ruth • Mar 5, 2014.

1. Micheleteresa

MicheleteresaMember

Threads:
    Personally I think Norton is the pits, free or paid. I have used AVG Free for about 5 years years and never had any problems. I have also used AVG paid version on one of my computers but went back to AVG Free since my laptop and acer notebook never had any problems with using the free version

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use Norton all of the time, and it was considered to be the best available. Then, they seemed to be letting in a lot of viruses, and the product was not any better than using a free service like AVG.
    Comcast provides a vree antivirus along with the subscription to their services, so I have signed up for that . As far as I know, it is doing its job.
    Since I got my iPad , I hardly ever even use the computer any more anyway, and the tablet is not susceptable to viruses like a computer is, so I don't have to use any protection on there.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am also aware that there are a lot of free anti virus software programs out there. Avast was one of the only good free ones that I have heard about from word of mouth. From family members on my mother's boyfriend's side. So they aren't really family. But they like to pretend like we are. They were the first ones to rave about Avast, because it was good and free. But I have contracted a few viruses in the past that Avast wasn't able to deal with, or even detect. Like the Vundo virus. That requires special software to get rid of that. But Malwarebytes and Norton seem a lot more equipped. I don't have to download extra programs when I have either one of those installed.

4. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I use Norton. A few years ago my computer caught a virus. I tried to remove it. I just came across Norton's telephone number. I called, and the guy got me through it. Then an adware was loaded after I downloaded Mozilla Firefox. Firefox could not help. Yet, I came across another product called, AdwCleaner v4.104.
    Here is the address, <https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1/get/Wbq5/>.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well there was me saying that I had both Malwarebytes and Norton Anti Virus installed. Today the Norton Anti Virus software that came installed on my laptop when it was purchased, ran out today. It came up in big read letters on my screen. Your anti virus software has expired, and now they are trying to get money out of me. Trying to get me to renew my subscription. I'll stick with Malwarebytes thanks lol. If that ever runs out on me, then I'll be worried. Once you buy anti virus software, I don't think that it should ever expire. That's a bit of a rip off.

6. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    When using Windows I never got to pay for anti-virus software. Maybe it was due to the fact that I didn't download from suspicious sites. I never really felt the need to pay for this type of software.

Using only free anti-virus solutions, I kept free of viruses for the most part. Only a few times I had to format the PC due to a virus. Other friends in my environment paid for their anti-virus solutions, cut considering their care for computer security was rather null, the payment for these automated-protection solutions made sense.

In more recent years I have been using Linux; one of the reasons for the change was not having to use anti-virus software, freeing myself from the incessant updates. The Ubuntu Linux distribution has its own repository updates at no additional cost.

7. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do use paid version of kaspersky antivirus. But honestly I think it is not of much use. I think it is quite of not much use. Virus like trojan always enter the pc even though antivirus is present.