Do You Use Paypal For Online Shopping

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Corzhens • Jul 3, 2015.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently had a Paypal account that I use to store my earnings from online work. Just pocket coins everyday and I didn't notice that it would add up to something. When my Paypal account showed a good balance, well and good, I started shopping online just to test if indeed that money in Paypal is real money. And I'm sure glad that it is real money indeed.

2. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I been using my paypal account for shopping online. Been using it for years and i never encountered any problem. I think it is safer than using a credit card.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been using Paypal for years also. In fact, I don't like to use anything else to pay for my online purchases. I also use Paypal to receive money from some of the companies that I work for. If a company doesn't pay out in Paypal, then I tend not to trust them, or want to work with them.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been using paypal for more than 5 years now without ever having any problems. I use it for online shopping and paying bills, for easy and cheap international money transferals, and also to receive my monthly payments from one of the companies that I work for. I can only praise paypal for the great service that it has offered me over the years.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    PayPal is good for some services, especially international transactions, but it's not my first choice. I do prefer to use a card, but with small amounts it's fine or for a sole trader. I used to pay my landlady with PayPal because that's how she paid all her bills so it suited her and it was much easier to track.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have used PayPal for around ten years now, and always find that it is a great thing to do because it tends to be very secure, and the customer service is second to none. I, too, like to store my online earnings in there - the ones that I only get paid from every now and again - and I will then spend them on my friends and family at Christmas, which I really enjoy doing. It is amazing just how quickly the earnings can pile up without you noticing it!

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I sure do. I, too, have been using it for probably a decade now and have had relatively few issues with them over the years.

I feel like it's a lot more convenient than some other payment types and I like being able to purchase from home instead of going into a store.

It's great for transferring money between family and/or accounts, too.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often shop online, and whenever I do, I prefer to use my Paypal account as it's more secure. It's always smooth and straight forward. I too have had my Paypal account for ages, and have never had any issues with it.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Paypal is one of the most safest ways to shop online. Should you buy something from a merchant and you either don't receive it or get a defective product you could "dispute the transaction." Paypal puts a hold on the transactions funds until everything is resolved. It guarantees you double security since you also never have to enter your credit or debit card number anywhere. That's why any time I'm shopping online, I use Paypal.

10. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I do. I use it mainly on eBay. Lately, PayPal has been improve their services, so I am happy about that. Aside from online shopping, I also use PayPal to send money to my family back home. Anyway, you have to be careful with stores that charge 5% surcharge or a fee.

11. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    PayPal is definitely real money. You can withdraw it onto your credit or debit card and use it for shopping. You can send it to your bank and save it. It is convenient for online shopping too. They have a large selection of places where you can shop using PayPal.

12. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I use PayPal regularly. I feel like it is a very secure way to pay when buying online. PayPal's business depends on them being able to keep their users safe. The stakes are high for them, so I have confidence they will not mess up.

13. Adrianna

AdriannaNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah, PayPal is kind of cool. A few of my clients pay me that way. I've done a little bit of shopping on-line. It is interesting how they offer the differed payment option. They'll give you credit. Many on-line businesses offer PayPal as payment. I'd like it if they did a card like Google Wallet. You can get a debit card that works with your balance like a regular account.
    PayPal is an easy way to save if you leave it there.

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I was buying a digital service, obviously not since now I know they won't back me on that but I do use it for regular purchases as PayPal is how I get my money and I have a debit card. Usually I like to use gift cards that I've earned though to save my money.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, the 1st time I used it was last 2008 when I bought a book online. I love using Paypal because it's secure, and if I'm not happy with the item that I bought or it didn't arrive, then I will simply file a dispute if the seller won't cooperate. They are a secure payment processor.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I use Paypal just when I have to or have no other tons. Most of the time I'd still prefer to pay cash and I'd even opt for a service at would allow me to pay cash on delivery as much as possible but for the few times I have to, like if I'm buying from a foreign country like China I'm very thankful that I have this option to buy my goods without much trouble even if it does end up charging me a small fee in the process.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course PayPal operates like an online bank account and you can do your shopping at stores that it has links with. For instance, I bought a travel tour package at Vietnam and paid through PayPal instead of using my debit card. The transaction was smooth and when I got to the country, everything was well taken care of. That only proved PayPal's authenticity as an online payment system. I hear you can now book your travel tickets through PayPal too so it's really convenient especially if you find it a hassle to keep withdrawing money.

18. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I was just wondering today what would happen if I used my PayPal account to make a large purchase online and directed PayPal to use my credit card to actually charge the item to and then something went wrong with the order. Would I be able to call my credit card company and stop the charges just as if I had used the credit card directly to make the purchase? Something to think about (and research) for large purchases..

I do like to work for places that send the money right to PayPal. It's so convenient and safe as well. I really don't see why all online companies would do their payments any differently. I do have one company that sends me a paper check in snail mail, but the checks are big enough I'm willing to go the slow boat to China route. :)

#18Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I use PayPal, only because some of the products and service I buy online only take it - but I would caution anyone using it to be really careful though, because it's caused some major problems for me costing me hundreds of dollars in fines and fees.

Always remember that PayPal is acting like a middle man - and there are good and bad things about that. They're not much more helpful than simply calling your credit card company to dispute a charge. In fact, they can make things worse, because both Paypal and the credit card company can both throw their hands in the air and tell you to talk to the other when trying to dispute charges.

Also, be very careful of any services you are purchasing setting up "auto renew" on your PayPal account - you can get smacked with a bunch of unexpected charges if you are doing stuff like buying a bunch of 99 cent domains, which later renew at like $15-$35 or more each a year later.

Another problem is that PayPal can be totally inconsistent when it comes to accepting and rejecting charges. Sometimes it will reject a sale if there aren't enough funds in your account, and other times it will accept the sale, then start hitting all your bank accounts and other credit cards on file with them to retrieve the funds. I've run into situations where they rejected an auto renewal from a domain registrar due to lack of funds in my account, then two days later when the registrar made a second attempt, they processed the payment leaving me with a negative Paypal balance, and then tried to take the funds from an old checking account I no longer used, which resulted in over $100 in fines.

20. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No problems with Paypal here either. In fact, I like the buyer protection that they offer. I only ever use the existing balance that I have though, I'm not keen on payments which link to my debit card at all.