Do You Use QR Codes?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Nov 1, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    sessfo-qrcode.

I'm sure by now most of you have seen one or two of these pixel type codes around, whether online or in posters or in physical stores. Unfortunately, no matter how much big companies continue to push for this technology as part of their marketing scheme, it just doesn't seem to take off.

I think it's because most people, including me, just don't find it too practical to have to get out our smartphones and take a picture just to get to a small piece of information. If I knew I'd be getting a big discount by doing so, I'd definitely be more willing, but it don't think there has been any company to give out such a promo that it entices everyone to scan a QR code.

Do you use these codes? Have you ever used it even just once before? What was it for? Do you think this technology will live on or will it fade out?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen numerous QR codes, be it on the pages of newspapers or on the carton cover of a product I bought. The thing is, I don't know how the QR code works. I've had my smartphone for ages now but I'm yet to use a QR code. The reason why I don't use it is because I prefer to surf the net through a PC or a laptop. Tablets and smartphones are used mainly for telecommunication and leisure purposes and I only use them for surfing when there's no PC or laptop available. I actually don't see the purpose of a QR code so we can expect this innovation to die down on its own.

3. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I think the basic idea is to make it easier for people to shop. I don't really know how it helps people shop, but I tried it with some online products and it worked on a Bitcoin site. It was a couple of months ago, and I totally forgot which site it was that prompted me to pull out my smartphone and do a quick QR scan. The way it works is quite frustrating for a new technology. First, I had to push the scan for QR code button on my device. The red light flashes for a few minutes until it recognizes the QR code and then the details were recorded. To repeat the process I had to redo the scanning and the device will treat it like a new QR code. The scanning time is not reduced the second or third time around.

#3Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I used them before to get a discount from a store. The discount wasn't really that good though. Plus, it was really difficult to scan the QR code. Frankly, I don't think that these are good. They are just inconvenient.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    QR codes are more of a gimmick than anything else. Stores can use them for advertisements, and individuals can use them to put on business cards and whatnot. The average person couldn't care less about QR codes, although they do have their uses. There are plenty of situations where utilizing a QR code is far easier than typing in a URL or looking something up that's already stored in the code.

6. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I only use these to look for a certain item. I always look to see if there is a lower price if it is a certain product. I agree with you though that it isn't taking off. Company's just think they look cool and hip with the codes when in all reality they just look desperate.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember when they first came out and not everyone had a smartphone, but they weren't missing out! Even though most people have a smartphone, the take up rate is low because it's too much trouble and I don't like that they record the data. That's what it is, a marketing method to track use and to get people to log on and sign up for things.

The discount codes can be found elsewhere as many people don't like to download too many apps and those who don't have a smartphone would miss out so that's not a good marketing method. I used to work in marketing and on live shows we would tell people to do this and not one would do it! They would say the discount is not worth it and by scanning they did not trust what may be downloaded onto their phone and it was too risky.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't. I've seen a lot of these kinds of things and to be honest with you I think they're pretty useless. First of all, you need to have a smartphone which is not a real problem but you have to have a QR scanner app which is kind of a nuisance because you'd think you can just pull out your phone's camera and just be done with it. And most of the QR's that I found are just promotional stuff that leads you to the a website rather than actual discount codes and such.

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    No I never did use them, not really. But I did made one for a class I was in back in college. We used to make custom QR images and make some sweet apps to scan them which is really cool but our instructor said it was pretty much useless in a way and it's all just for gimmick more than anything.

10. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    No, I don't use QR codes because they simply haven't caught on or I haven't jumped onto the bandwagon. I feel like pulling out your phone and taking a picture of a QR code is a hassle. Instead, they could just list the information that would be on the QR code page on the billboard that they use to print the QR code instead. However, that might be because of my laziness... :)

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I like QR codes very much, at least the idea behind them. With that being said, I've only scanned a QR code once or twice. I was visiting an old castle and in order to conserve space they used QR codes to help you learn about the history/purpose of certain rooms. It was a neat way to learn about what I was visiting but I soon grew tired of constantly using my phone just to learn some basic info.

12. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I never used these things. First of all, you need a scanner app to be able to scan this which is kind of a hassle really, you'd think with today's smartphone technology you can just use your camera to just scan it. I think most people don't even care about it. It's pretty inconvenient, why not just give a coupon code or maybe a web address instead of having to pull out your phone and scan the thing which half the time doesn't really do anything.