Do you use your computer to watch TV?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by True2marie • Dec 8, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Cord cutting is a popular trend these days. People are saving money by watching TV on their computer via home-streaming and straying away from cable companies. I am a fan. Most networks have a section in which you can view full episodes of a show they produce at no cost.

How much TV do you watch from your computer?

2. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I don't normally watch TV on my computer. I am old school, which I would watch TV on the TV or sometimes I watch TV on my smartphone because my phone has the mobile TV app. It is convenient for me to watch TV on my phone because that's how much I would pay For the price of a DVD.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm watching less and less these days, but yes, when I do it's on a computer or burned and watched on our big screen. There are a couple shows that I watch that the rest of my family would never watch, so I watch them on my computer. The rest, we all love equally and watch together sprawled out all over my room lol. I could never justify the cost of television considering how few channels I watched in our forced packages.

4. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do this a lot. Sometimes, it's because I don't have cable. And sometimes, it's because I don't have cable with special features that allow you to watch episodes you miss. Either way, I love going onto network sites and watching the TV shows I love. As for using an online tv program, I've never done that.

5. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    More than saving money, I'm always with the look in my computer, hence there is no sense to have the TV set turned on, particularly because it is located in my back, where I can only hear it.

I have tried to put mirrors to see the screen, but all of them have ended broken in thousand pieces down the floor, hence I better switched to watching TV on my computer instead :D

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Cable isn't like it use to be and I can understand why people are straying away from it.

I don't pay for any service and use the local stations that I can pick up. The only time I even watch TV is to look at the news and check the weather.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have cable and internet, but I don't follow any tv show right now so I rarely watch tv nowadays. This is the 1st time that I'm hearing about home streaming since our cable company doesn't seem to offer it. But no thanks, since I'd still pick the internet over tv anytime.

#7Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  8. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I felt so great when I was able to stay away from the TV for weeks at a time, but yes we do now live in a generation that whatever you find on TV, you can find that plus some on the computer. I do find myself visiting Hulu when I miss an episode on TV so I guess Im now a victim of the generation.

9. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I practically live my life on the computer and so i do not even own a tv. I think that in this day and age, not owning a tv is very plausible due to the fact that computers are able to do so much more and get you better results. i think that there is a lot more variety with online tv and it is a lot more enjoyable in my opinion.

10. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I use my computer for as much as I can I love to watch TV and online video on my computer and tablet. I pay for broadband and it so convenient if my husband and I am on the road to just watch a movie on my laptop or my tablet. I admit when I'm at work and on my lunch break in my office I watch a few shows that I may have missed through the week. Its so relaxing and quick to just pull up a movie or TV show on the laptop or computer.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a digital converter for my tv with antennas to get the local channels. Everything else I look at on the computer. I have Netflix use Hulu and Youtube when I want to look at a show. Must of the time I catch up on the shows I miss do to scheduling. I don't really look at a lot of the shows that a popular now a days. I feel like I am missing something because the shows are horrible.

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I watch most of TV on my laptop or on my smartphone. There are only two shows that I really want to watch live. Otherwise, I like to watch my favorite shows on my schedule. I love being able to watch my favorite TV shows on my schedule. It's so freeing. Plus, it's a lot cheaper.

13. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    No i never use computer to watch TV. i use computer only to do work regarding computer. i do not use computer for any entertainment purpose.

14. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I use my laptop to stream some shows that I can't get on the TV. I also use it to stream footie games that are not being shown on Tv.

The only other time I use it is when I want to go on tvcatchup.com because my housemates are hogging the Tv and I want top watch something.

15. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Started this habit long ago though with a little twist from what you stated above. I'm using a TV card to watch the local TV channels in my area. Sadly, where I come from hasn't reached the cable TV era yet.

16. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I rarely watch tv lately. When I am in the mood I use my computer. I use the tv only when I want to watch something with the rest of my family or friends.

17. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I dont watch much TV, but when I do it is on the TV. I do use the internet and youtube to watch a particular episode I may have missed if I am following a show, but that is about it. The quality of watching online has gotten so much better so I assume this is something people will be doing more and more. I do agree that the cost of cable is ridiculous so I have only done basic and still get a few good cable channels. Who needs hundreds of channels?

18. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    There is only one show I cannot get online, How I Met Your Mother. Everything else I watch on Amazon Video, Hulu, or Netflix. I've found that being able to watch shows "whenever wherever" from my laptop allows me to watch shows when I am "in the mood for them" instead of when they are on TV. I get news and other info online as well, and I can see myself cutting the cord in a year or two maybe. I really don't need cable TV.

19. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes,I love to lay in the bed and watch netflix on my laptop , it so convenient for me especially if nothing on tv

20. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I stream on my laptop almost every day. I mean I am going to be watching something in the next 30 mins on my computer. It is so great because you will always be able to find what ever you need online.