Do you use your mobile phone for your home phone?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by [email protected]May 18, 2012.

1. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a landline. I use a cellphone as my primary phone. I do have concerns about having to call 911 in an emergency.

2. love2loveu

love2loveuMember

Threads:
    I haven't used my house phone in years so I ended up getting the line cut off to save money and just use my cell phone as my main way for communication. I know some people do it and some people don't. I just have no real use for a house phone since I am never home during the day anyway.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't even had a house phone in years. I've moved around way too much for this to even be feasible.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We still have our landline phone because my dad doesn't really use his cellphone. He uses the landline more, so we have retained our phone subscription until now, even when it's not really necessary anymore. We have been using the same landline number for 30 years now.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family have thought about doing this but we realised it is not feasible because we need the land line for our internet connection. It's a shame because I think we would be able to save money by ditching the land line and using mobiles.

6. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    We still use our landline. It's always handy everytime the cellphone's network signal is not working properly. Plus most of the old relatives still prefers to use a regular phone rather than the cellphone, so we are keeping our landline.

7. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    Since everyone I know has a mobile phone and nobody was using the home phone service I had it cut around 6 months ago. If I need to call a homephone I can skype it. That way I don't pay a monthly fee and its really cheap.

8. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I do it. I saved alot of cash doing using my cellphone. I really don't find the need to have a landline, but I do have one now, just in case. But I am mostly on my cellphone and people usually can reach me quicker that way.

9. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is the main reason they do this. it is much easier to live the simplistic way because we are also saving a lot of extra money each month on our phone bill.
    Now that we all have these family plans available I feel that it is much easier to save extra money if everyone just has a cellphone and no phone home in their house.

10. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I haven't used my home phone in two years. I mostly use my mobile phone for everything such as going on to the internet and browsing Facebook. In my opinion, I think that landline phones are in the past.

11. copper

copperMember

Threads:
    Actually I use only my cellphone so is my primary or secondary. I use to travel as my job and my hobby so no way I could use a land phone.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I do know some people who have given up their land lines and just use their cell phones. We actually considered this in my home but then decided it wouldn't be practical. Mainly because we wanted a main phone number to give the public. I'm not too comfortable with giving out my cell phone to just anyone, even if it is a doctors office or pharmacy. So, our land line phone number remains the main contact number in my home.

13. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never have had a home phone always had a cell phone and I don't know how much you know about cell phones but they do have 911 services just like any other phone

14. crystalclrs

crystalclrsNew Member

Threads:
    I have a landline (with a phone that has a cord, not a cordless phone) and a prepaid cell phone that I use. We've had several storms where the electricity went out and the cell phone towers were overwhelmed and calls didn't go through, and the landline with the corded phone was the only way we could make any calls. So, I decided years ago to keep the landline and just trim my cell phone bill by getting a prepaid Pay-As-You-Go AT&T card that I have to renew by buying a new card every 3 months. What I like about these prepaid cards is that you use up all the minutes on your card with talking - the money you put into the card doesn't get eaten up by phone-company related taxes and FEES. Prepaid has worked all right for me, as I'm generally not a big phone talker anyway, although my actual cell phone is old and not a smartphone, so I may have to switch it up.
    Frankly, I don't feel good about talking too long on cell phones with their emitting microwave radiation - although I know it gets downplayed as being safe. Six months ago, an Italian Supreme Court recognized a causal link between regular mobile phone use and brain tumor risk in a worker's compensation case, which has brought this concern back on the table. In any case, for those who use cell phones regularly, they may want to dial it down with hours spent on the cell phone and also get an airtube type of headset like Dr. Mercola has on his website.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use my cell and skype, in the home. Skype is my backup in case I lose my cell or I don't want to concern myself with how many minutes I've been on the phone. The house did have the Verizon Bundle, to reduce the bill we now just have the internet and our cell phones.

16. jennifer.f

jennifer.fNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah i always use my cell phone as my hoe phone because there is no use of my home phone. i use my mobile phone every where.

17. danham

danhamNew Member

Threads:
    Hi,

I have just joined. I think landline and mobile they both have their own advantage but I don't use my mobile as my landline.

18. franktouch

franktouchNew Member

Threads:
    I don't have a landline, paying £14 per month at least for something I would hardly use is a waste.

But you have to consider that some calls from mobiles will be expensive, for example in the UK 0800 numbers are free from any landline but it costs from a mobile.
    Also 0845 are very expensive from a mobile and a lot cheaper from a landline, and sometimes you have to call these numbers when you want to speak to gas or electricity companies.

Finally make sure your internet won't be affected by not having a landline and you're good to go!

19. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used a landline phone in over three years and I haven't really missed it. I stay in touch with everybody through the internet and cell phone. A lot of my family and friends live in other states so using a landline could really expensive for long distance calling and with my cell I only pay about 30 a month and have unlimited calling local and long distance within the states, so I'm good with my cell phone.

20. lyeileen

lyeileenNew Member

Threads:
    yes, use a cell phone for home phone is cheaper and convenient.