Do you use your smart phone as a MP3 player?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by dieselfit • Dec 12, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I have to ask this because I'm planning to get a smart phone that is probably bigger than any phone I ever had before. If you don't know, I love working out and in the gym, I'll carry all kinds of weights in, on and around me. I don't want to carry a big product that is made out of glass right in my pocket, nor do I want to have a arm band because that will constrict blood flow when I am using my muscles in my arms. I was thinking about buying a little mp3 player but seriously, what's the point of a smart phone that can't be used as a mp3 player. So my question is if you face this problem and what did you do to solve this?

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I take an Ipod nano to the gym because I wouldn't want to crush my iphone with a wright (my friend did this). Generally speaking, I use my phone as an MP3, but the battery drains pretty quickly which is annoying.

So for general use I use my phone, but for the gym I use a smaller device which just has my gym PL on.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do use my smartphone as an mp3 player, but in your case, since you go to the gym, then I would suggest just buying the most tiny iPod Nano that Apple has, the square one? It's still available on their website.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think a separate MP3 player would be best for gym use. Smartphones being used as an MP3 player would only be good for when you are sitting down and drinking coffee. Those super small MP3 players aren't so expensive nowadays anyway, not to mention they are only a little bigger than the size of a coin.

5. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I use mine as an MP3 player all the time. I hated carrying both my phone and MP3 player. So now I can listen to music and also have my phone handy in case someone calls me or I need help. But I have dropped it countless times at the track and gym. So if you don't want it to be broken or lost, you would have to wear the arm band or be very careful with it. I would suggest you buy a small MP3 player.

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I do use my phone as a MP3 player.

It has the function of playing music so I use it when I am working out. There isn't a need for me to play a MP3 player when my phone can do it.

7. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    My phone could never. I am a music junkie and have a huge collection. I still carry around my 160GB iPod for music.

8. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    That is a great idea and I thought about it. I used to have a iPod nano, 3rd generation I believe. The one that was kind of long with that lengthy screen and I did crack it a bit while working out. But the small nano's, newer ones, sound like something I would invest in especially because it is not that expensive. I don't understand how I would work out with such a large smart phone. I think some people do but with those belts that they can carry their devices in!

9. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I do use my phone to listen to music sometimes, but not as much as I used to because I don't listen to music much. Plus, the battery life of my phone isn't too good, which it drains very fast. I'm happy if it lasts through the day. If I really want to listen to music, I would get a IPod Nano or something.

10. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I use my smartphone to listen to mp3 all the time. I don't enjoy listening to the radio so I always listen to the songs I have in my smartphone. Put on an earphone and the quality is quite good.

11. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that an ipod nano is pretty much made for sport kind of activities and so would be ideal for you and your endeavours. but apart from that i think that a phone is also a good solution for and when it comes to listening to music. i do this all the time and pretty much love having my music so accessible.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When out on one of my 5 mile walks I turn on my smartphone either pandora or my own music. For your needs you might want to be safe and purchase a small nano to keep your cell phone out of harms way. It seems most of the people here agree that the nano is a good idea.

13. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good idea to get a nano. Seeing that many smartphones are the size of mini tablets, a nano would be a safe bet. I was thinking of getting one of those Bluetooth headsets and just leaving my smartphone in my backpack nearby. I think that could work especially because the Bluetooth can stay connected for good distances. Unless I'm outside, it might work well in the gym!

14. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I don't. My phone has 8 GB of internal memory, and it can not take an SD card. It does not take much music to fill up a phone. If you do decide to get a smartphone, then make sure to get one that has plenty of memory for your music. Then you can use it for an MP3 player all you want. I use Pandora for my music needs.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do use my smartphone as a mp3 player, but not at the gym. I have a SanDisk Clip for the gym. It's about as small as a iPod Nano, but cheaper. It clips right onto my workout top.

I wouldn't risk my phone. I have turned in a lot of iPhones to the front desk, but that's no guarantee that someone will turn in my phone if I forget it in the gym.