Do You Use Your Smartphone As Your Only Source Of Internet?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by Oolongfan • Nov 15, 2016.

1. Oolongfan

OolongfanNew Member

Threads:
    I only use my smartphone because that's all I have at the moment. I am researching online opportunities to make money online using just my smartphone. I got so frustrated that I started my own forum about it, and have added categories for the best apps and sites. I love online discussion forums such as this one. I am a member of several of them.
    There are so many things that can be done online with a smartphone that were not possible just a few years ago. I'm planning to get a computer, but my phone will do until then.

2. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I use my smartphone and a computer for internet. My computer is just there at home and I only use it when I am at home. My smartphone is with me everywhere I go and if I decide to access the internet outdoors I make use of my smartphone.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use both my desktop computer and smart phone with my wifi internet. I don't currently have cell phone service, so if I didn't have home internet, the only way I'd be able to use internet on my phone would be via the neighbor's wifi signal, with permission, of course. Since I only have the local channels on my television, I stream a lot of what I watch, which means I have to have an internet plan. I do know some people who only have internet on their phones via their cell service, but those people are not heavy internet users, and I am. There are some things I'm fine with doing on the smart phone, but for others, I want a larger screen, and those I do on the desktop.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a desktop at home which is connected to our internet cable which also functions as wifi source. But I prefer using the desktop when I'm at home rather than the phone. However, when I am outside, I have no choice but to use my phone especially when there is an available wifi around. I am quite active in online work and I need to be checking my work from time to time. But with social media, I normally use my desktop.

5. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not comfortable typing in smartphones for which I seldom use them except for communicating. I'm pretty at home in with my laptop and mostly use it for my internet related works. The screen is bigger, and the alphabets could be distinctly pressed rather than by touch. However, we have a desktop which is convenient to use as well, but its OS is of old version so I cannot do many of the online works over there.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to use my smartphone as the only source of online connection till just recently when I went back to my old dead laptop and revived it. I still use my phone 98% of the time.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently not using a smartphone but I am using a feature phone to access the internet. For this reason, when I want to access more advanced features, I use a cyber cafe though it proves costly due to the fact that billing is done per minute. I plan to acquire a tablet to remedy this situation. Where can I get free or heavily discounted offers?

8. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    Now my phone is the main and only source of internet since my laptop no longer works. I prefer my PC but at least my phone has helped me get many things done. Without my phone I wouldn't have access to anything so I am very thankful I was gifted this phone.

9. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I was almost taken aback today when I saw a colleague use his phone as a hotspot. I have heard the word of course but never really used it or figured out how it worked. I just never need to I guess, but it was pretty interesting seeing him navigate it very quickly.

10. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Even though I got a Samsung Galaxy I hardly use it. I am not comfortable in using touchscreen and also its compact screen gives some kind of a headache. I use my laptop to go online which is quite comfortable for my eyes. I also need an external keyboard and a mouse for function property. In fact I am too lazy to use my smartphone because I have to recharge it more than once daily. I use a basic mobile phone which is not power hungry and I don't have to recharge it for 5-6 days at a stretch.

11. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a smart or cell phone, I use my laptop for accessing internet. I have a smaller laptop that I enjoy using then the bigger one my husband has. I use a chromebook actually and love it plus I feel like it is a lot faster. The only draw back is there is some things I can not do with it still.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I use a laptop as well as a Kindle. I do use the smartphone when I am out somewhere or when I want to play games on it, but I find the screen too small to do a lot of the things that I want to do online. This is just the problem when you have a phone at least for me it is.

13. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakleyNew Member

Threads:
    I use my hotspot all the time. It's not good if you stream a lot of HD video, though because those eat up a lot of data. YouTubes are OK, though. And, oddly enough, even Facebook doesn't seem to eat a lot of data. At one time, it seemed Facebook ate up all kinds of data. So, I don't know if the change is because my provider retooled the way they stream or if Facebook made some changes. It's great to be able to use my hotspot when I'm out somewhere that has their own hotspot because being able to use my own is a lot safer than the public wifi's a lot of the time.

I use Verizon and they give me plenty of data and let me roll over any unused data to the next month. They give me a pretty good deal overall. You do have to make sure your provider offers hotspot capability with the package you get from them. Not al providers offer the capability for every level of service they have available. I was tickled pink when I found out I had hotspot capability. It also comes in handy when my regular internet goes down for a bit for whatever reason.

If you don't stream a lot of HD video and don't care about having cable TV, it's a great substitute for a lot of internet providers too. The price of some data packages make it well worthwhile in that capacity.

14. JoushaP

JoushaPNew Member

Threads:
    No, the bulk of my surfing and work is done on a desktop. Smartphones is more for the convenience when I'm out and about and I need to check something like directions or bank statements. For complex programs it has to be done with a desktop because of the sheer power that a desktop had and it's working space (screen size). A smartphone actually slows me down when I try to do any work on it.

15. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik AngaraActive Member

Threads:
    I have a wireless router at home. My PC is directly connected to the router with a wire. I use wireless access on my laptop and my smartphone. Although a smartphone is handy, it can become difficult to access some specific sites on it. Sensitive sites like a personal banking or a payment website should be handled on a desktop or a laptop.

I prefer to use my laptop to access most of the websites because:
    1. The screen size of my smartphone is small.
    2. The text font on some of the sites becomes very small on some sites.
    3. We have to zoom in and zoom out multiple times on a smartphone.
    4. There are some connectivity issues on my smartphone and the browser support is minimal.

16. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I have subscribed to data service with the telecom that provides me the cellular mobile connection. However, this is not my only source of internet. I use 3G Mobile broadband as well. I also have wifi connection at office. I surf internet from my smartphone as well as laptop using cellular data, mobile broadband and wifi.

17. kokimboka

kokimbokaMember

Threads:
    I have wifi connection in my house so I use my phone and my laptop. I prefer using my laptop, I find it easier to use especially when typing than using a smartphone. But when I am out of the house and need to access the internet, I buy bundles from Safaricom network which is quite cheap.

18. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I use my laptop to access the internet most of the time. I use the smartphone when I don't carry the laptop or when I'm out of the office. I only use the smartphone to post messages on facebook or watch episodes of my favorite afternoon soap opera. I also don't do internet banking on my phone as I'm not too confident about its capability to screen and clean viruses. If you need to create content, a smartphone will definitely fall short.

19. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I don't as I find that to be inefficient. My parents do that but I cannot do so as I was born in the technological era so I am more curious than them. I prefer to spread my internet usage across multiple platforms but my laptop is where I would spend the most time.

20. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Right now, my desktop PC is broken, so my phone and the internet cafes are the ways that I use to access the internet. I have a spare hard drive from my other PC to replace the malfunctioning one, but the problem is I don't know how to replace it. I'm afraid of making a mistake, so I think I will just call a technician to fix both PC's.