Do you use your tablet as a phone?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by dieselfit • Dec 28, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    It's funny because we used to make fun of how big phones once were before they shrunk to credit card size. These days though we have tablets and they can be used as phones. I've seen some people using them as phones and it looks ridiculous if you ask me. Do you ever use a tablet as a phone or do you possibly use one full time?

I'm wondering how would it fit in your pocket comfortably!

2. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't. I would not use a tablet as a phone because it looks strange and big to hold it like a phone. I don't see the reason I don't use a regular phone or a smartphone as a phone but rather a tablet. I can't imagine to actually to call someone using a tablet because it feel bulky next to my ear.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use the tablet to make calls, I use my iphone for that. I have seen people hold a tablet and talk, sorry to say it looked stupid and silly. Besides, holding something that big seems tiring to me. Actually, I rarely carry my tablet when I'm outside because it's too inconvenient and heavy for me. I like to keep it light when I travel about.

4. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I would not use a tablet as a phone. You would have no other choice but to use a headset. Holding a tablet to your head looks and feels silly. I do not think headset technology is good enough for this. When I use a headset, the quality is never as good. I might consider this wen headsets and earpieces are as high quality as holding the phone to your head.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a phablet and I use it as a phone. It's 5.5 inches and it's great. However, I can't imagine using a 10.1 inch tablet as a phone. You could use some earphones but it would still look a bit silly. For tablets with sizes of 7-8 inches though, I think it would look okay. Again, it would be better to use earphones when making a call rather than putting the entire unit to your ear.

6. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried to do this once but I had privacy issues because my tablet only took calls on loud speaker and so I eventually moved on from that as I was so not happy about this.it is not a cool thing to do in any way shape or form.I learnt the hard way

7. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    I do have my tablet set up to where it can be used as a phone in an emergency situation. For example, when my daughter is at home alone and might need to call me or my husband since we don't have a land line at our house and she only recently got a cell phone of her own.

It does work great for that purpose, but it definitely isn't something that I would do on a regular basis. Now our iPod could be set up with a telephone app and that I would be able to handle, but we can use face time on the iPod and that is so much better than a telephone app.

8. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    No, i have not use tablet as a phone.

9. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I have to ask why would it work great for that? I can see how it would work on a regular basis since the size is just enormous for most tablets. Many smartphones like the iPhone and devices like the iPod work great for stuff that have to do in communication. I love using my iPod for checking emails and my laptop for writing articles, they just serve different purposes. It's great to have the tablet set up as a telephone though because you never know when your daughter would need to call so that is a smart idea!

10. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I really do not like using my tablet as a phone. This is due to the reason that it feels very weird when you put that big device against your ear while making a call. And also, the calling facility in tablets is also not on par with those of normal phones. So, I try to not use my tablet as a phone unless its really necessary.

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely ever use my tablet i have no idea why i have one in the first place, it's basically just sitting somewhere in my room collecting dust. I just use my phone for everything and it's not too big unlike the tablet. I guess the only good thing about my tablet is i can play some serious games in it not that i'm a gamer but i sometimes like those role playing games online with really gorgeous graphics.

12. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Mine is a Samsung Tab 4.0, Wifi only...So it is useless as a phone. No place for SIM card..or am I missing something?

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have a tablet and I only used it as a phone to test. It's not appropriate especially when you are in a public place, you will look silly talking with your tablet. I'm with my phone all the time and I only used that tablet for my internet needs or when I want to play games which I rarely do. Tablets are good for games and emails with their big screens, so easy to read.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have the same thing. I just got it, so haven't fully explored the possibilities, but I've heard that you can make phone calls and text via wifi, using apps designed for that purpose. It's probably worth having available, just in case I'm somewhere using wifi and need to make a call or text, but if my wifi goes down at home, so does my phone, so the wifi only tablet isn't going to help me out in that case.

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most tablets cannot be used as a phone. It would require a 4G LTE Sim tray and perhaps a VoIP services. There are tablet-sized phones that have been released, but those are still phones and not tablets due to their design. Phablets are the closest things to tablets that are phones. I wouldn't consider a tablet using VoIP to be a phone because it's not working off a cellular network in the same manner as a regular phone. Plus, a Bluetooth headset solves all sizes problems if you want to use a tablet as a phone, so it's a moot point.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use a headset to make phone calls on my tablet. I use skype as my business phone set up, along with the headset it works fine. I have no problems with it. You see so many people walking around talking and it looks like they are talking to their self when they are really on the phone using a blue tooth.

17. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    Haven't got used to it yet !!
    Surely I'll not use the tablet as a phone when I go outside.It's strange to hold such a big stuff making a call. But at home I prefer to a tablet,big screen and have a video live chat.Reading e-books is another good option.

18. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Actually I use a tablet, and a phone. I don't see the point to use a tablet like a phone or a phone as a tablet, as I think they were designed for different purposes.

However when it comes to productivity while on the go, I am considering the possibility to buy a big smartphone that serves me as a tablet too.

I have broken accidentally two tablets in the past for having them with me while going outside in a rush.

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really care what it looks like if a person uses a tablet as a phone. I live in a third world country and here everything goes, and nothing is too ridiculous. It all depends on necessity, as not everyone here can afford a phone, not to mention as smart phone. So, if for some reason you inherit a tablet from someone in your family or circle of friends, by all means, use it as a phone if you don't have one already.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do know that it is possible to use one's tablet as a mobile phone device, but they don't make it easy do they? There are few applications that you can download, that do things that will make your tablet do some things that smartphones can and will do, especially if you have an android tablet. But at the same time it doesn't really act like a phone. I don't have a number assigned to my tablet that people can call or anything like that.