Do you usually spend more on heating or cooling your place ?

Discussion in Heating started by donaldplozha • Jul 11, 2012.

1. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    You would not believe how much we spend on heating our flat! We spend about £40 a week trying to keep the place warm but we seem to be fighting a losing battle, I'm not sure if it is because we have wooden floors instead of carpet.

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Cooling, definitely cooling. The electricity bill during the summer can be quite high and it's all thanks to ACs and fans. It gets pretty hot in here, and even though we try not to have an AC turned on all the time, some days you just have to, if you want to live :p

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely heating. The winter in England is cold and long, the summer is usually wet and not particularly hot. We rarely need to use a fan during the summer. Opening the window is enough to keep cool. We spend much more on heating, that's for sure.

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I live somewhere where the summers are much more hotter compared to the coldness in the wintertime. I usually hate sweating and being hot so I run my air conditioner
    a lot. It is something most of my relatives and friends do so therefore we all have a high bill when it comes to things like this. In wintertime it is much easier to get a few more blankets and to cuddle up in them
    while in the summertime it is a different story and we all cannot go to the beach when we feel like it.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I spend more on cooling because I live in Florida. It's hot here most of the time and when it does get cold, I can mitigate my discomfort by layering on a few blankets.

I only run the air conditioner on the hottest days and use a fan and open windows and screen doors most of the time.
    I used to be very dependent on air conditioning until I saw how it affected my bill. You learn to adjust to being a little warm when a big energy bill is at stake.

6. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with QuatreHiead. In Jamaica, where I live, there's obviously no need for heating a room because we don't have winter here. We might need to heat our water though, and the solar water heaters allow us to do this without having to pay an exorbitant amount of money for electricity bills. However, we still pay a whole lot of money cooling down the place. I agree that summers are getting hotter than usual. So many persons' electricity bills have increased because of this, and it's worst in my case because the roof of my house is made from concrete.

7. polybus

polybusNew Member

Threads:
    I live in Toronto, Canada and we have to both heat and cool our house. The A/C bill can be very high, but it is only for about 2 months during the hot months of July and August. It is not as expensive to heat because natural gas is relatively inexpensive, but we have to heat the house for a lot longer. We normally need the heat on from Oct-Nov until about Apr. So overall I am sure it is more money to heat our place even though I have never sat down and actually calculated it.

8. mothersthirdarm

mothersthirdarmNew Member

Threads:
    I have recently had a huge spike in the cost of my energy bill due to this. I suppose it's worth the sacrifice. The other thing is I can typically put up with freezing in the winter to save the money, not to mention the added bonus of things don't go bad nearly as fast.

9. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely more cooling than heating. If you are cold, just wear more clothes, wrap yourself in a blanket, but if you are hot, going to need a fan up in every room.

10. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Definately more on cooling. It gets hot in California, but when it is cold, you can bake or cook and it does two things. You eat better than going out and it warms up the house quickly!

11. makemoney22

makemoney22New Member

Threads:
    Well, I would have to say that taking in consideration that gas is cheaper than electricity, most of the time, and the variables of the size of home a person lives in, heating is cheaper than cooling a house. That has a lot of factors to consider though like I said, such as, the state you live in, the size of house, how much you use your heat & air during both of the seasons (some people prefer cooler air in their home, while others prefer just some fans running during the summer). With alternative energy being on the rise that it is today, one can eliminate almost all of these factors to break even between the two. For instance, someone can simply construct a thermal heating system out of scraps from around the average persons home, to heat their water and/or air, varying on the type of system it is.
    So, concluding those opinions and facts, heating is cheaper for me (as long as its gas). Living in Oklahoma, you really do not have a decision in the options for cooling a house during the summer due to the rapid changes in temperatures and the crude, hard fact of the humidity and heat people, such as myself have to live with. But, all can be minimalized by smart usage of an air conditioner if your not into solar/thermal energy that is. Just be lucky to all of you folks out there that do not have to put up with the horrible humidity and heat that we do in Oklahoma during the extended summer days and seasons. That being said, that shows why the whole economy is cheaper here in certain niches than others, but overall cheaper than 90% of the United States.

12. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have an air-conditioning system at home, therefore, I just pay for the heating during wintertime. I depends on how cold the weather is outside and how much heating and what temperature do I really need. I usually pay between $80 to $140 on heating depending on how cold the weather is.

13. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    We do not currently have a central Air Unit so naturally we spend more on heat. I also live in a state where AC is necessary in for only maybe a month or two max out of the year and heat is necessary for probably 4-5 months out of the year. So even if we did have an AC unit, overall I think we would still be spending more money on heat each year.